Author Topic: Mold bleed thru ?  (Read 12935 times)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
Mold bleed thru ?
« on: August 12, 2017, 11:57:18 PM »
My arabic Game of Death was in contact with LALD Italy 1sh and bled thru (looks yellowed on back) prolly due to being on same glossy paper stock......didnt see any other posters affected by this ,

Can this be fixed  on the back ? (The Game had some mold stains on back so I guess it migrated to the other poster)

It was sgd by Moore so you can imagine how I felt when I noticed this :(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:01:26 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mold bleed thru ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:40:03 PM »
My arabic Game of Death was in contact with LALD Italy 1sh and bled thru (looks yellowed on back) prolly due to being on same glossy paper stock......didnt see any other posters affected by this ,

Can this be fixed  on the back ? (The Game had some mold stains on back so I guess it migrated to the other poster)

It was sgd by Moore so you can imagine how I felt when I noticed this :(

What bled thru exactly?

Or are you meaning the mold got transferred from the back of GoD to LALD?

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »
Yes , I assume thats how it had turned yellowed on the left side , its not been in the sun or anything (thick curtains always shut)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:47:04 PM »
Or the paper itself is just beginning to age and tan a bit (turn more yellow).

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:25:20 PM »
I doubt it is tanning related , either way I will not leave that arabic anywhere near the others any more.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
I doubt it is tanning related , either way I will not leave that arabic anywhere near the others any more.

Post some pics... its hard to picture exactly what you're talking about.  :)

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:04 PM »
Im in US so not possible , it basically has a large pee stained colored area on one of the folds making the poster somewhat transparent in that upper left portion of the poster and since the arabic has the same yellowed stained area plus mold stains then it makes sense thats where it came from.

If its possible to paint it on the back to restore the white color then thats what I want to do.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:33:18 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
Im in US so not possible , it basically has a large pee stained colored area on one of the folds making the poster somewhat transparent in that upper left portion of the poster and since the arabic has the same yellowed stained area plus mold stains then it makes sense thats where it came from.

If its possible to paint it on the back to restore the white color then that's what I want to do.

Ive never heard of the back of a poster being airbrushed before... but if you want it done, Im sure your restorer would do it for you.

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »
I think it needs a bath rather than airbrushing.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
I think it needs a bath rather than airbrushing.

A nice, warm, wash and then maybe a gentle bleach bath... but hold the bubbles.  ;D

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »
then iron it flat

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 10:12:52 PM »
not quite.  I would do a bath with an acid neutralizing compound.  A thorough wash that gets into the fibers, but minimize the handling and flow.  For drying, use blotting paper from an art supply store and even weight.  Do not use heat.  Nothing good is going to come from that.

Change out the paper after a day, but keep the weight on until the poster is dry.  I'd say 2 days.  Hopefully this will remove any mold or staining.  This will not help if this is a foxing issue.
-Jay-

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
If any signs of mold left while poster is still damp, with car battery, clamp jumper leads either side of poster (with mold in between). Mold should vaporise

Or use a laser to kill the mold something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14QcDVdEiaQ

Or more seriously and interestingly - Laser offers hope - Read "Conclusion" section at end of page:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259614511_Laser_removal_of_mold_and_foxing_stains_from_paper_artifacts_Preliminary_investigation

guest4531

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 06:10:22 AM »
not quite.  I would do a bath with an acid neutralizing compound.  A thorough wash that gets into the fibers, but minimize the handling and flow.  For drying, use blotting paper from an art supply store and even weight.  Do not use heat.  Nothing good is going to come from that.

Change out the paper after a day, but keep the weight on until the poster is dry.  I'd say 2 days.  Hopefully this will remove any mold or staining.  This will not help if this is a foxing issue.

"acid neutralizing compound" - What's the easiest acid neutralising compound to find in market ?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
"acid neutralizing compound" - What's the easiest acid neutralising compound to find in market ?

Calcium Hydroxide (CaOH), mixed with distilled water to create a solution, is often used for deacidification. It is easily available to purchase.

Im sure Dan from Backing to the Future could elaborate more, as well as discussing what he does, and uses for this process.

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »

I was quoted 3-400 euros to fix this , kinda steep...isn't it possible to buy another copy and glue it to the damaged one (on the back) to tone down this yellowing ?

Might've been moisture not mould that did this yellowing (although the arabic 1sh did have some black mould spots on the back) , I do have some slight moisture in my apartment as I don't keep the heat on or only at bare minimum. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:18:24 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »
Who were you in touch with, that gave you that kind of price to fix it?

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
Was french backer.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
Sounds high to me, too. You should get a quote from Mario Cueva here in so CA, Dan Miles from Backing to the Future, Poster Mountain, or 4th Cone, just to get some other opinions.

And gluing another copy on the back likely wouldnt stop any yellowing from continuing. If nothing else, that foxing or mold might be passed on to the other poster, too.

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
I think it's foxing , I saw no mould on it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »

I was quoted 3-400 euros to fix this , kinda steep...isn't it possible to buy another copy and glue it to the damaged one (on the back) to tone down this yellowing ?

Might've been moisture not mould that did this yellowing (although the arabic 1sh did have some black mould spots on the back) , I do have some slight moisture in my apartment as I don't keep the heat on or only at bare minimum.

Hey Tang,

Have you done anything with this poster to have the foxing removed and the paper washed a bit, to lighten it up?

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
Not yet

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »
The linen backer would not risk it as he fears the autographs will be damaged so its just getting backed

(damn **** moist prolly did this , lesson learned the hard way   moron1  : :'(

007 LALD and Chinese Hercules (both had bleed thru due to moist , both printed 70s in Italy so prolly nothing to do with mold as I first thought)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:11:48 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
The linen backer would not risk it as he fears the autographs will be damaged so its just getting backed

(damn **** moist prolly did this , lesson learned the hard way   moron1  : :'(

What backer are you using that told you this?

-Jeff

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
Passiongraphique

The last thing I want now is to make matters worse , Im not risking it