Author Topic: what does term "DS" mean in this Matrix poster?  (Read 5772 times)

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
what does term "DS" mean in this Matrix poster?
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
Here is link to Matrix at heritage site:

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+54&Ntk=SI_Titles&Nty=1&Ntt=the+matrix&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

A lot of them say "One sheet 27 x 40 DS" What does the DS mean? Ihave a buyer that think it  mean "double sided." I hadnt given it much thought. Are these really double sided images?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: what does term "DS" mean in this Matrix poster?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 07:16:00 PM »
DS for double sided.  Most modern movie posters are DS
Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 04:49:58 AM »
And SS being Single Sided.

Sometimes, Heritage makes a big deal out of a description in other areas which on first glance makes me wonder whether it is something special.  One such description being Full Bleed.  This is just where the colours and imagery goes right to the edge of the poster and does Not have a white frame around it.

In the end, nothing special there either as most modern posters are also full bleed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 12:03:36 PM »
Just curious, Simes.

How has HA made the term "full bleed" appear to be something special or unique? Ive always seen it in their descriptions as just that -- a part of that particular poster's description.

Or was there a certain poster you came across where the term seemed more hyped up to you, that you can recall?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:16:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:27:30 PM »
I think "full bleed" is pretty special on the early Paramount posters. Okie

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 03:04:32 PM »
Here is link to Matrix at heritage site:

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+54&Ntk=SI_Titles&Nty=1&Ntt=the+matrix&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

A lot of them say "One sheet 27 x 40 DS" What does the DS mean? Ihave a buyer that think it  mean "double sided." I hadnt given it much thought. Are these really double sided images?

DS is for double sided posters, where the back is a mirror image of the front, albeit with a muted color scheme as these posters are put into the backlighted displays at theatres.

S is for single sided posters, which are most commonly used  for wildings (posted to construction sites etc) a nd also to send out as promotional materials to ad agencies and the like or to theatres that do not use lightboxes. Many posters printed for international distribution are also SS

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »
Just curious, Simes.

How has HA made the term "full bleed" appear to be something special or unique? Ive always seen it in their descriptions as just that -- a part of that particular poster's description.

Or was there a certain poster you came across where the term seemed more hyped up to you, that you can recall?

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.

For example, HA will have a load of full bleed posters for sale.  I see in the description for some posters as being full bleed, whereas for other equally full bleed posters, there is no mention of this characteristic.

Hence, I then look to see if there is something else going on. 

I think all I am saying is, state full bleed for All full bleed posters, or don't mention it all.  It just caught me out a couple of times so I figured I'd mention it here too in case there was a random selection of DS posters being described as such.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 08:30:41 PM »
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.

For example, HA will have a load of full bleed posters for sale.  I see in the description for some posters as being full bleed, whereas for other equally full bleed posters, there is no mention of this characteristic.

Hence, I then look to see if there is something else going on. 

I think all I am saying is, state full bleed for All full bleed posters, or don't mention it all.  It just caught me out a couple of times so I figured I'd mention it here too in case there was a random selection of DS posters being described as such.

well the designation as used by HA is basically for 1920s-40s posters hat have this characteristic and are rare styles or a rarely used technique, as during that time period, few movie posters were printed in such a manner.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------