Author Topic: Cameo Auctions  (Read 8157 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Cameo Auctions
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
Im pretty sure you guys may already know about this site,but i just stumbled across it today.

http://www.cameo-auctioneers.co.uk/2010-04-08/?1

Any info ??

Stew
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:56:36 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Cameo Auctions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:40:30 PM »
Plenty of info, the main thing is they are quite lax, and very vague, the packing is not the best also. I have bought off them 3 times, and none were pleasurable. I doubt I will spend any large amounts with them again. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:54:06 PM »
I bought some items off them again last week (including a rolled Ladyhawke quad - sorry "the-jace") - the auctioneer is pleasant enough but their descriptions, administration and packing are awful - the above quad is likely to be folded by the time I receive it.

Mark

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
Thanks Paul,i was a bit puzzled on the high reflections off of some of the photos,some look like laminates...others dont..

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »
Thanks Mark also,
Could you update this if your fear is confirmed ?

Stew

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »
Sure. Problems experienced so far include not actioning absentee bids, charging me for posters I didn't bid on, sending me posters won by someone else (I returned them of course), selling me folded quads when they were represented as rolled - even after I specifically asked them to check and confirm beforehand - forgetting to include all items in a package when a third party was picking up my winning lots and sub-standard packing with shipments.

Mark

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
Sure. Problems experienced so far include not actioning absentee bids, charging me for posters I didn't bid on, sending me posters won by someone else (I returned them of course), selling me folded quads when they were represented as rolled - even after I specifically asked them to check and confirm beforehand - forgetting to include all items in a package when a third party was picking up my winning lots and sub-standard packing with shipments.

Mark

But other than that a great experience was had  laugh1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »
But other than that a great experience was had  laugh1

:P
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:32:35 PM »
Ha!  Reminds me of eBay listings stating a particular poster is MINT CONDITION -- except for the 6" tear, pin holes, and a large stain in the lower left corner! 

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:14 AM »
I received my posters today - they were just placed in a thin tube without any protection from movement - fortunately there was only very minor edge damage.

Mark 

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 04:35:24 AM »
I like how they created a category called FISH for the PIRANHA, ORCA and JAWS quads, knowing that there are many collectors out there exclusively searching for fish posters (and of course completely ignoring the fact that an orca is not a fish).

Armin

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:15 AM »
Ha!  Reminds me of eBay listings stating a particular poster is MINT CONDITION -- except for the 6" tear, pin holes, and a large stain in the lower left corner! 
Sounds like Heritage auctions too.

I would love to see an image of a poster that is just fair...

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 04:35:05 AM »
i also have had a mixed experience with Cameo.
1st time using them & unsure whether id try them again
the live internet auction itself was highly enjoyable mainly because the auctioneer was coughing his guts up for most of the night! i had my computer linked up to the tv & with the live feed coming thru my speakers even the missus was laughing & not complaing about missing Eastenders or some other crap soap! Communication, post auction, was efficient & friendly.
I managed to pick up Alien(folded) & Metropolis(rolled) quads for £20 each, which after commision etc was added was still not that bad. Unfortunately, the experience was sullied by their P&P.
i paid £12 for P&P - thinking they would post the items seperately - logical i thought but no they sent them together in a tube made out of glorified toilet paper  the folded poster was just wrapped around the rolled,neither had any protection from the tube. Somehow neither poster was completely destroyed - the Metropolis was a bit roughed up (described as "mint" by Cameo) But Alien was still in excellent condition.
Cannot understand why, as a auction house, they cannot do a bit of research & package the posters properly. i expect ebayers to be next to useless,even when you provide instructions, but i expect an element of professionalism from auction houses. i feel sorry for the guy that bought the Metropolis US Reissue 1 sheet for close to £400 & it turns up destroyed!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:03 AM »
Somebody really needs to tell them about all of the business they are losing -- or could be acquiring -- if they would get their packaging shit together. 

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »
I've told them - they advised me to pick up my purchases.

Mark

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
serious?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »
serious?

Absolutely, They told me the same thing.

Life, all seems to much for them!
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »
that is a joke. they need help