Author Topic: Mel's new framed collection in Charlotte, NC (2016-present)  (Read 45823 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mel's new framed collection in Charlotte, NC (2016-present)
« Reply #300 on: September 25, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
How much do you pay your "helpers"?  Either way, great display.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #301 on: September 28, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »

Sayonara Jenel, $15 hour. She's moving' on to a FT customer service gig.

I got 15 applicants in 2 days for a replacement.

I'm perfectly capable of repairing my MPs with acid-free tape but I let her do the cheaper stuff. She said she liked doing it (?).

The apt maintenance staff hangs frames gratis.

guest4955

« Reply #302 on: September 28, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
You can hire PAs on Craigslist easily:

Part of my ad:

Since Jan 2017 I have employed several personal assistants. The most recent is a stay-at-home mother who is resuming full-time work, so I need a new PA starting first week of October. You must be able to work a 4 hour minimum shift every 4-5 days, averaging 12+ hours total every two weeks OR 3 hours every 3-4 days (4 times every two weeks). Schedule is very flexible, any day between 9am – 10pm. Ideal for students, retirees, second job, etc.

You will be paid $15 an hour every two weeks for the time you enter/exit my apartment. You must be pleasant/lively/flexible, have a valid drivers license and personal car, and do not use illegal drugs or have non-traffic criminal convictions. Your job duties will include:

-   Movie poster assistance, opening packages, carefully handling and framing rare/valuable posters;

-   Grocery shopping and picking up meals;
-   Light housekeeping, laundry, sweeping, etc. (maid service does all other cleaning);
-   Driving me in my Mustang convertible wherever I want to go.

I don’t need and won’t tolerate financial, religious or medical advice. I’m a moderate Democrat. Positively no negativity, racist, nasty, or sexist comments or jokes.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #303 on: September 28, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »
This is great.  I love it.  Made me laugh.  I love how movie posters are #1 on your list and driving the Mustang :) is last.

And no drugs!!!  I guess I couldn’t be your helper.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #304 on: September 29, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »
This is great.  I love it.  Made me laugh.  I love how movie posters are #1 on your list and driving the Mustang :) is last.

And no drugs!!!  I guess I couldn’t be your helper.

T

I wrote "illegal drugs"- pot is legal in CA.

https://www.thestar.com/news/cannabis/2018/09/26/officers-will-be-free-to-smoke-all-the-weed-they-want-so-long-as-they-arrive-fit-for-duty-vancouver-police-board-says.html

guest4955

« Reply #305 on: September 29, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
Damnably difficult damsels delight dudes, donchathink? 😜

"2D Date Night" in Charlotte, NC USA. "Sad!"

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #306 on: September 29, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
I wrote "illegal drugs"- pot is legal in CA.

But not in DC, although I'm sure everything's legal within the White House's walls.  These people need heavy drugs to forget who they're working for.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
But not in DC, although I'm sure everything's legal within the White House's walls.  These people need heavy drugs to forget who they're working for.

T

Not sure what Washington DC or politicians have to do with Charlotte, NC.  :-\

That sounds like a rad part-time job.  Curating, hanging out, cruising in the Mustang.  I'm surprised more people haven't applied.

Maybe one of your future assistants can fabricate a cabinet for all them posters on the floor.  I don't know how you can leave all your stuff unsecured like that.

Good work on the gallery.  thumbup thumbup

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #308 on: September 29, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
I thought he lived in DC.
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #309 on: November 07, 2018, 10:53:03 AM »
So the 2018 mid-terms are over - a mixed bag baby!  8)

Anyways I've been posting on several FB groups and run across a few cool cats:

+ an author here in Charlotte who has been collecting eclectic MPs for year including:

[this is Spanish version he has official US rr version]

+ a mega-collector like Thierry; name is Rob, lives in Canada; has 15K MPs (!!!) stored in three cities in Canada; was an usher, on TV; he's a busy guy, maybe I can recruit him  here.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #310 on: November 07, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
Recruit away... Always nice to have new blood here.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

guest4955

« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
Does size matter? 🤔 Er, OF COURSE I'm referring to movie poster (MP) size! My 27x41" "War of the Worlds" 1S vs. Bruce Willis' 81x81" 6S. 💪💪 (Yes, THAT Bruce Willis!)

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/the-war-of-the-worlds-paramount-1953-six-sheet-79-x-805-from-the-collection-of-bruce-willis/a/7183-86564.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

guest4955

« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

+ a mega-collector like Thierry; name is Rob, lives in Canada; has 15K MPs (!!!) stored in three cities in Canada; was an usher, on TV; he's a busy guy, maybe I can recruit him  here.

I tried to "soft sell" him on APF but who knows if he'll bite?

+ does not frame, has a 600ft apt in Toronto
+ no website, does not sell, just collects
+ apparently does NOT carefully track his collection, says he "probably"owns the famous "Canadian" LAC:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
+ does not frame, has a 600ft apt in Toronto
+ no website, does not sell, just collects

Does not frame, does not sell, just collects...Ha, my type of collector!!!  Nice :)

A 600sq/ft apartment or 6,000sq/ft?  I could not collect if I didn't have my collection with me.  Just to file and everything.  I can't imagine having to drive somewhere to store my posters.

Also, no website doesn't work for me.  As much as I don't like to frame movie posters, I enjoy looking at my collection from time to time.  Which is the purpose of my website.

So even though we're similar, we're not. 

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »
Looks great, Mel!!

T

NO---it looks TERRIBLE!  Give it to me. I'll keep it for you.   ;)
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

guest4955

« Reply #316 on: November 10, 2018, 09:20:16 PM »
Tried posing Qs to Rob - what are your superstar MPs? - but just got a brief response that he doesn't have many pre-1960 MPs.

As always, I'll try again sooner or later. He is active on the FB Groups.

I think I previously "reported" that the deceased mother of an eBay seller was an usher - like Canadian Rob - but in the 60s. She somehow acquired two rare/valuable Veronica Lakes. I guess ushers get MP fever!  bed1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THIS-GUN-FOR-HIRE-1942-Original-Movie-Poster-Alan-Ladd-Veronica-Lake-Rare-Noir-/123398469419

guest4955

« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2018, 10:31:42 AM »
Anyways I've been posting on several FB groups and run across a few cool cats:

+ an author here in Charlotte who has been collecting eclectic MPs for year including:

[this is Spanish version he has official US rr version]

So David sent me pics and info:

My writing studio is a vintage camper. My friend Jim helped me rip out the Dinette booth and put down new carpet. I added a desk and comfortable swivel chair. It has a full bath, kitchen and bedroom, though I rarely use any of them. Sometimes I watch movies, I've fallen asleep a couple of times and I have made coffee, but that's about it. Usually just my writing studio. I do keep old movies on constantly with the sound down, And classical music. Sets the tone for writing

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #318 on: November 16, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
Very cool.... 

guest4955

« Reply #319 on: November 19, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
BEHOLD!

Er, the latest additions to my demesne!

ZERO planning accidentally produced the vehicle corner:

ZERO planning = the corner of weird movies:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #320 on: November 19, 2018, 10:40:28 PM »
What is BB doing surrounded by all these engines?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #321 on: November 19, 2018, 10:55:50 PM »
What is BB doing surrounded by all these engines?

T

Is it because she gets motors running?!  Okie