Author Topic: The future health of this hobby  (Read 14957 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: The future health of this hobby
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
these are art prints masquerading as movie posters

Still a paper hobby though

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
The old stuff gets older and uglier and frailer and destroyed, new stuff will not be made, global warming will speed poster deterioration and the internet of things will mean Harry Cauls Barbarella poster will appear on my toaster

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
The old stuff gets older and uglier and frailer and destroyed, new stuff will not be made, global warming will speed poster deterioration and the internet of things will mean Harry Cauls Barbarella poster will appear on my toaster

Live the future TODAY!  You can already eat Fonda on your toast every morning...  Love their slogan.

http://www.burntimpressions.com

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
Are the older posters out there available for sale becoming more and more the leftovers? I mean I like collecting the big posters for example. EMP has 2 sets of auctions this week for large posters and the other really oversize posters (1500 posters). There is nothing there that speaks to me to buy them like in the past (some years ago) there would have been lots. Same story on eBay.

My feeling is the last of the good stuff have been sold off from the theatre poster exchanges and people like me who have the goodies now just store them away meaning what is going around in circles are the leftovers more and more. It could be I am losing interest in the hobby or have now most I want, but doubt that as the stuff I have bought that I like rarely if ever surfaces. If it is true the stuff going around now is not as good as it once was, people like me buy less and less and to newbies hooking them will be less likely with the reduced number of good posters. The hobby may have fewer collectors over time.

I also think about the good posters that return to the market down the track might not be in that good a condition as if they had stayed at the exchange due to handling and storage by those less carefully.

End of rant!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 04:50:06 PM »
But that's the beauty of the hobby, Steve (or any art-related one, for that matter, imo). The stuff that you aren't liking, don't think is any good, or is just mediocre to you, others may love and think is their next greatest find. The "one person's trash is another one's treasure" idea.

In a way, that means there will always be stuff to go around -- material that suits a wide variety of tastes and likes.

Just like that BTTF concept art being discussed in the other thread -- some like it, others don't and wont.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:13:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »
IMO Steve,
there was a time in the 80s when the market was saturated with the NSS warehouse selloff.  So much good stuff was available that it drove prices down on everything but the best.  It did go into collections, but folks die and retire and this material does come up again and again, just not in the quantities that a warehouse liquidation generates.

The best stuff is always going to command a price.  Popular themes as well.  If you are looking for bargains on horror you are likely out of luck.  OTOH, I picked up 4 posters of quality musicals for under $100 total.  Good News, Best Foot Forward, Carousel and Royal Wedding.  It is out there, and shopping is most of the fun.
-Jay-

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »
I buy hardly anything on EMP and eBay anymore compared to 1p years ago when I started, I just can't find much I like, there must be a reason... I don't think what is availably now is as good as back then. My best pickings were from an eBay seller called Weln who I think was selling stock from an NSS exchange, but he seemed to run dry and stop selling a few years back.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
I buy hardly anything on EMP and eBay anymore compared to 1p years ago when I started, I just can't find much I like, there must be a reason... I don't think what is availably now is as good as back then. My best pickings were from an eBay seller called Weln who I think was selling stock from an NSS exchange, but he seemed to run dry and stop selling a few years back.

Bill aka WELN was indeed selling NSS content for decades. He has recently started selling again. Maybe it was a health issue.

I could chat up quite a bit on what yu said Steve, but I'm in San Diego and I hate typing on laptops

when I get home maybe

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 01:09:21 AM »
^ thanks Rich. Could you please blow a raspberry for me when you drive past posterazzi's house, thanks

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 01:20:05 AM »
^ thanks Rich. Could you please blow a raspberry for me when you drive past posterazzi's house, thanks

didn't know he was down here. how about I sh*t on his doorstep?

>:D

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 05:59:50 AM »
didn't know he was down here. how about I sh*t on his doorstep?

>:D

That would be great, thanks  thumbsup.gif

When he was here causing problems I think I found his house there in San Diego on Google maps... It was painted pink!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 10:34:19 AM »

Or perhaps you already own all the low hanging fruit.

We have a saying in engineering called the 80-20 rule:
The first 80% of a project takes 80% of the effort.
The last 20% of a project also takes 80% of the effort.
-Jay-

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
Are the older posters out there available for sale becoming more and more the leftovers? I mean I like collecting the big posters for example. EMP has 2 sets of auctions this week for large posters and the other really oversize posters (1500 posters). There is nothing there that speaks to me to buy them like in the past (some years ago) there would have been lots. Same story on eBay.

My feeling is the last of the good stuff have been sold off from the theatre poster exchanges and people like me who have the goodies now just store them away meaning what is going around in circles are the leftovers more and more. It could be I am losing interest in the hobby or have now most I want, but doubt that as the stuff I have bought that I like rarely if ever surfaces. If it is true the stuff going around now is not as good as it once was, people like me buy less and less and to newbies hooking them will be less likely with the reduced number of good posters. The hobby may have fewer collectors over time.
I also think about the good posters that return to the market down the track might not be in that good a condition as if they had stayed at the exchange due to handling and storage by those less carefully.
End of rant!

I hear you, its sort of the same thing for me, my taste sure has evolved over 4 years almost of collecting (crazy!) Also there are less posters that interest me because they are non-starters to begin with due to their cost.  Its like the left side of my brain tells the right side to disregard the attraction of the poster completely based solely on price tag and I move on.  Its not even on a want list, its like it stopped existing, like Schrödinger's cat basically.

Its good for auction houses in general because people on ebay etc ask for exhorbitant amounts of money for their posters, which in the end, don't sell so they go to the auction block. I do find myself buying posters now from commercial sources outisde of ebay.  Its paying retail, but its on stuff that you just don't see on the ebays etc.  Generally they have some wiggle room too.  For sure the whole currency devaluation is a killer too.    
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:59:02 AM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 03:41:40 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread, am sure there was another one about the future of printed posters...

Anway, I went to see Blade Runner in the new Cineworld in the redeveloped part of Bracknell, UK, and I saw not one single printed poster or vinyl banner.  Instead, they had all sorts of different format screens advertising their films.  Looked very impressive.

It starts...