Author Topic: My NEW! Thai poster collection....  (Read 40978 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: My NEW! Thai poster collection....
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »
Nice one, John. I also have a Thai F13 poster and agree about the paper, mine is very thin (and quite brittle too). Yours looks in much better shape. The art is good fun.

Thanks! Tob, much appreciated.

How long have you had one in your collection mate? from the research I've done it looks as though 10 years (or more) ago approx. there were a few around here & there, but, nowadays they very rarely appear on the market.

I've been on the hunt for this poster for a good while, the original Elm Street Thai poster seems to be around all the time, and to a lesser extent so does the Thai Halloween pop up every so often, but this Friday the 13th one took some real searching (& luck) to find.

I totally agree with you in regard to the "fun" gory art on this poster.

As for the condition, I put mine straight in my acid free sleeves folder, it is in fine condition for sure, but, up close you can also tell it's age (in a good way).

Even putting the poster in my folder I had to go "very" careful indeed as the paper felt it would rip even it you were to catch it wrong ever so slightly, it was actually a relief to get it safely in a sleeve.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
Thanks! Tob, much appreciated.

How long have you had one in your collection mate? from the research I've done it looks as though 10 years (or more) ago approx. there were a few around here & there, but, nowadays they very rarely appear on the market.

I've been on the hunt for this poster for a good while, the original Elm Street Thai poster seems to be around all the time, and to a lesser extent so does the Thai Halloween pop up every so often, but this Friday the 13th one took some real searching (& luck) to find.

I totally agree with you in regard to the "fun" gory art on this poster.

As for the condition, I put mine straight in my acid free sleeves folder, it is in fine condition for sure, but, up close you can also tell it's age (in a good way).

Even putting the poster in my folder I had to go "very" careful indeed as the paper felt it would rip even it you were to catch it wrong ever so slightly, it was actually a relief to get it safely in a sleeve.

I know your pain.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
I know your pain.

Glad it's not just me then, Marc ;D

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2020, 10:39:17 AM »
That Bonnie and Clyde is fab John. Congrats on that.

I wouldn't mind one myself.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2020, 10:41:32 AM »
@Tob

I just checked out your Friday the 13th Thai poster on your website (nice site by the way 8)) and going by the photo your one looks in pretty good shape to me, from the look of it I'd guess we both have one in quite similar condition thumbsup.gif

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2020, 10:54:06 AM »
That Bonnie and Clyde is fab John. Congrats on that.

I wouldn't mind one myself.

Thanks! Marc.

I've had that one for a while now, it has a few issues like the water damage that you can probably see, but, it has not hurt the fantastic artwork in any way, personally I think it's the best poster for the film, I know that Chantrell did really good art on the UK Quad, but, I just like/prefer how the Thai poster captures so many more memorable scenes from the film all in the one poster.

Fingers crossed for you that you can also find one, T also has one on his website so they do show up sometimes, finding one will be a challenge by itself, but finding one in tip top condition would be even harder.

Good luck thumbsup.gif

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:52 AM »

I got mine in early 2018 - there was a UK seller that had some horror posters up and I managed to get it for a pretty reasonable price, although there is a chip of paper loss in the border in the top right corner. I also get a bit nervous putting posters into sleeves, especially if they have been rolled for a long time! Handle with care :)

I like the Thai Halloween and Nightmare art. I see you have the Evil Dead too...nice.

Speaking of Thai horror, I love the Profondo Rosso that T shared on his site recently...I imagine it's hard to track down. Very atmospheric art - https://moviepostersgallery.com/poster/profondo-rosso-deep-red-5/

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
@Tob

I just checked out your Friday the 13th Thai poster on your website (nice site by the way 8)) and going by the photo your one looks in pretty good shape to me, from the look of it I'd guess we both have one in quite similar condition thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I'll update to add that Tongdee was the artist. I had a suspicion, but wasn't 100% sure. I need more Thai posters in my collection, I really like them.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
I got mine in early 2018 - there was a UK seller that had some horror posters up and I managed to get it for a pretty reasonable price, although there is a chip of paper loss in the border in the top right corner. I also get a bit nervous putting posters into sleeves, especially if they have been rolled for a long time! Handle with care :)

I like the Thai Halloween and Nightmare art. I see you have the Evil Dead too...nice.

Speaking of Thai horror, I love the Profondo Rosso that T shared on his site recently...I imagine it's hard to track down. Very atmospheric art - https://moviepostersgallery.com/poster/profondo-rosso-deep-red-5/

Yes, the Evil Dead one is another one I tried to get hold of very early on in my Thai poster collecting as I love the Evil Dead trilogy and again the art on the Thai Evil Dead poster is great! the Thai artwork is the best I've seen for the film.

As I said to Marc in a previous post I'm glad to hear that other poster collector's have the same issues & concerns when placing their posters in a protective sleeve.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
Thanks! I'll update to add that Tongdee was the artist. I had a suspicion, but wasn't 100% sure. I need more Thai posters in my collection, I really like them.

The Tongdee signature is just to the right of the girl with the axe in her face ;D

As long as you can find a trusted seller then you can't go far wrong with collecting Thai posters, many of them have the best art for the film seen anywhere IMO, and especially if you like the horror genre, the Thai artists seemed happy to paint anything no matter how gory it was, would never see that sort of art on a poster from the UK that's for sure.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »
I'm not a huge Thai posters collector - I basically buy them when I see them, but I don't go after them (except for the Spielbergs) - but this thread reminds me of the good stuff out there.  I want that Friday poster and will put my peeps on it, or I will forget like I always do hahaha.  Good stuff!

The Profondo Rosso is extremely rare, like 1 of 1, or so I was told.  I don't know much about, but I collect Argento, so I had to get it when it was offered to me.

And poster sleeves???  Why would you guys use poster sleeves?  I never understood that concept.  To me, it will damage the poster more than laying it flat in a flat file or something similar.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2020, 04:43:10 PM »
Maybe this isn’t the right topic for a poster sleeve discussion, but why are they bad for posters? I’m currently filling a plan chest and I’m putting all my posters in sleeves. Maybe I shouldn’t?

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »
Maybe this isn’t the right topic for a poster sleeve discussion, but why are they bad for posters? I’m currently filling a plan chest and I’m putting all my posters in sleeves. Maybe I shouldn’t?

From my experience, when I had them only in poly sleeves, and no backing. If I tried to move it with the weight of the sleeve, an crease/bend or fold over from the poly, brings that crease on that poster if that makes sense...
So I removed them all from the poly bags and left them like T said...
Next time I would either go Mylar, or add a backing board, or leave plain.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2020, 03:56:17 AM »
I'm not a huge Thai posters collector - I basically buy them when I see them, but I don't go after them (except for the Spielbergs) - but this thread reminds me of the good stuff out there.  I want that Friday poster and will put my peeps on it, or I will forget like I always do hahaha.  Good stuff!

The Profondo Rosso is extremely rare, like 1 of 1, or so I was told.  I don't know much about, but I collect Argento, so I had to get it when it was offered to me.

And poster sleeves???  Why would you guys use poster sleeves?  I never understood that concept.  To me, it will damage the poster more than laying it flat in a flat file or something similar.

T

Hey! T,

I have to say having checked out your website a few times and considering you don't think of yourself as a huge Thai poster collector you certainly have some amazing Thai posters in your collection, some of your Thai posters I'd class as SUPER RARE, so you already own many of the rarest (& best) ones out there, since I started collecting Thai posters 2 or 3 years ago I've tried to get hold of a few that you have in your collection but they just don't appear, and if you find someone in Thailand that owns them they will often say it's the last piece of the poster so obviously would never sell, so IMO you have an awesome Thai collection T notworthy.gif

Thanks! for the kind comments on the Friday the 13th poster, if your after one then it must be a good one ;) I have no doubt at all with your obvious connections your find one for yourself soon enough, good luck thumbsup.gif

As for the poster sleeves, I can only go on the ones I own, so I don't know if they greatly vary in quality, but, if you look on "Page 2" you will see I keep my Thai collection of posters in special acid free sleeves (with black paper sheets) and most importantly in a binder, I personally find these particular sleeves ideal, it keeps all my collection together (& flat) and the whole idea of having them in a binder like this is so I can check out my collection whenever I like without ever having to handle the posters, "for me" it's the best and safest way I can keep my collection together where I live :)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
Oh my stars! I LOVE (NEED) that Thai FRIDAY THE 13TH poster. What wonderful, gruesome art. Zowie! BRAVO!!!!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2020, 09:24:03 AM »
Oh my stars! I LOVE (NEED) that Thai FRIDAY THE 13TH poster. What wonderful, gruesome art. Zowie! BRAVO!!!!

Hi! GoGo,

Not heard from you in a good while, nice to see your still around on the forums, hope your well.

Glad you approve of the Friday the 13th Thai poster and like the artwork, hope you can find one, looks like you might be in a race with T to find the next one that appears on the market, good luck thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »
Hey! T,

I have to say having checked out your website a few times and considering you don't think of yourself as a huge Thai poster collector you certainly have some amazing Thai posters in your collection, some of your Thai posters I'd class as SUPER RARE, so you already own many of the rarest (& best) ones out there, since I started collecting Thai posters 2 or 3 years ago I've tried to get hold of a few that you have in your collection but they just don't appear, and if you find someone in Thailand that owns them they will often say it's the last piece of the poster so obviously would never sell, so IMO you have an awesome Thai collection T notworthy.gif

Thanks! for the kind comments on the Friday the 13th poster, if your after one then it must be a good one ;) I have no doubt at all with your obvious connections your find one for yourself soon enough, good luck thumbsup.gif

As for the poster sleeves, I can only go on the ones I own, so I don't know if they greatly vary in quality, but, if you look on "Page 2" you will see I keep my Thai collection of posters in special acid free sleeves (with black paper sheets) and most importantly in a binder, I personally find these particular sleeves ideal, it keeps all my collection together (& flat) and the whole idea of having them in a binder like this is so I can check out my collection whenever I like without ever having to handle the posters, "for me" it's the best and safest way I can keep my collection together where I live :)

I only have 50 or so Thai posters. so it is far from being a collection and it certainly doesn't make me a collector of Thai posters.  That's my take on it anyway, but I do appreciate your kind endorsement ;)  I have asked 2 Thai poster collectors to find me a copy of Friday the 13th, along with a couple others I cannot mention.  We'll see.  It's out of my hands now.

And I guess we're coming from different end of the spectrum when it comes to poster sleeves.  Once I get a poster, it goes to the flat file and I never look at it again, which is why I privilege putting it somewhere where it won't be damaged by repeated viewing.  But I do get where you're coming from if you actually want to see your posters.  Posters sleeves might then be the perfect alternative.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2020, 04:01:29 PM »
I only have 50 or so Thai posters. so it is far from being a collection and it certainly doesn't make me a collector of Thai posters.  That's my take on it anyway, but I do appreciate your kind endorsement ;)  I have asked 2 Thai poster collectors to find me a copy of Friday the 13th, along with a couple others I cannot mention.  We'll see.  It's out of my hands now.

And I guess we're coming from different end of the spectrum when it comes to poster sleeves.  Once I get a poster, it goes to the flat file and I never look at it again, which is why I privilege putting it somewhere where it won't be damaged by repeated viewing.  But I do get where you're coming from if you actually want to see your posters.  Posters sleeves might then be the perfect alternative.

T

While the Friday the 13th Thai poster certainly took some effort for me to find I have to say if you have the same people on the case/lookout that found for you (for example) Thai posters like Goonies, Gremlins, Pale Rider to name a few.. then I would fully expect them to be able to find a Friday the 13th for you as although RARE it's still one that appears more than many you already own, all the best with the search anyway :)

As for the couple of Thai posters you can't mention, I can totally understand that, there's probably a fair chance they are on my Thai wish list already, going by your Thai collection we seem to like a lot of the same ones.

In regard to my binder with the poster sleeves, don't get me wrong I don't get them out and look at them all the time or anything like that, just like to have the option though, but in general I also try not to move them about to often ;)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2020, 04:51:50 PM »
Hi! GoGo,

Not heard from you in a good while, nice to see your still around on the forums, hope your well.

Glad you approve of the Friday the 13th Thai poster and like the artwork, hope you can find one, looks like you might be in a race with T to find the next one that appears on the market, good luck thumbsup.gif

Hi there. No, I'll look for one...but not actively. If it comes to me, it comes to me. If not... so be it. T has people actively looking for him. That is awesome...but I'm more passive. I have way too many posters as it is.

Nice to see you active again. I've not been inactive...(I've been posting something at least once a month, usually more often), but I'm just not glued to APF as I was when I first started. Life happens and somethings have to take a backseat once in a while.... You certainly must understand that.

Welcome back.

Cheers!

Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2020, 04:00:41 AM »
Hi there. No, I'll look for one...but not actively. If it comes to me, it comes to me. If not... so be it. T has people actively looking for him. That is awesome...but I'm more passive. I have way too many posters as it is.

Nice to see you active again. I've not been inactive...(I've been posting something at least once a month, usually more often), but I'm just not glued to APF as I was when I first started. Life happens and somethings have to take a backseat once in a while.... You certainly must understand that.

Welcome back.

Cheers!

Fair enough GoGo, well, lets just say fingers crossed one finds you one day then ;) If your happy/content with the collection of posters you already have then that's a great position to be in for sure thumbsup.gif

Of course I totally understand poster collecting is just a basic hobby for most of us on here (myself included) and something to enjoy, so how often we all buy posters or post on these forums will always take a backseat to more important things we all have to think/worry about etc. either way good to see you still around on the forums and thanks! for the welcome back :)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »
I'm not a huge Thai posters collector - I basically buy them when I see them, but I don't go after them (except for the Spielbergs) - but this thread reminds me of the good stuff out there. I want that Friday poster and will put my peeps on it, or I will forget like I always do hahaha.  Good stuff!

T

Hey! T,

Just curious, did your peeps/contact give you any indication on if it would be tricky or high chance to find a Friday the 13th? just wondered hmmm.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »
Hey! T,

Just curious, did your peeps/contact give you any indication on if it would be tricky or high chance to find a Friday the 13th? just wondered hmmm.gif

No.  I just told two sources that I wanted it.  I'm in no rush.  It will come when it does.  I stopped thinking about it as soon as I placed the order.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2020, 03:06:32 AM »
No.  I just told two sources that I wanted it.  I'm in no rush.  It will come when it does.  I stopped thinking about it as soon as I placed the order.

T

Fair enough T, no worries. 8)

Only reason I asked was I think it can be interesting to compare notes sometimes and see if us collector's hear and are told the same things about certain posters.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2020, 08:37:19 AM »
Hey! guys,

Two new additions to my Thai collection, had both of these on my wish list for a while, so naturally very pleased with finding these two, hope you all like them :)

Once again, sorry! pics are not the right way round, like before they were not uploaded this way Doh.gif
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:39:38 AM by Test1 »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2020, 08:41:41 AM »
Nice pick ups! I haven’t seen those two before.