Author Topic: The Frankenposter Cometh....  (Read 3781 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

The Frankenposter Cometh....
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
Have I devalued or up-valued the $38 original by creating this "Franken-poster" (parts assembled from multiple posters)?  (Of course, if I had been serious about it, I would have found another poster with more acid tanning to better match the original).

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:38:57 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: The Frankenposter Cometh....
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:10:37 AM »
The posters edge is so far into the frame I wouldn't of bothered. The thing about collecting older posters is you expect some minor damage, pin holes, small edge tear. It sort of adds to the authenticity of the item.

Nice cutting job though Mel.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
Yeah it looks good.  And on a poster like this you are really just trying to make it "up to your standards" of presentability...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »
Yeah it looks good.  And on a poster like this you are really just trying to make it "up to your standards" of presentability...

Well, on a good day this poster sells for $150-$200.  The tape acid damage on all four corners is permanent and cannot be cleaned, so I got it for $35. Otherwise it's in excellent condition, with minimal fold wear.  The question is whether replacing the paper on the cheap would increase its resale price about $35 or just ruin it beyond hope.  If the paper matches well - better than I have now - I think it could raise the price.

Of course, I could spend $150-$250 having it professionally restored/linen-backed but there's no profit it in that.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
There is probably no profit in you buying a poster for $35, paying for shipping, putting several hours of work into matching paper and doing poster surgery, relisting on eBay, and selling it for probably $75 if you are lucky (and honest about what you did) either... and then you pay eBay/PayPal fees on it!  :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »
I "built" another of these today, using impromptu jerry-rigging techniques that would appall the likes of Charlie.  

This poster was (and is) a mess, with several generations of old tape all over the back and front, pencil writing on the front, missing paper in many places, dozens of tears (some extending very deep into the poster), etc.  

The poster is not worth very much, so I had to give it the Frankenposter treatment.  I repaired all the tears with several dozen pieces of acid-free tape, cut off some of the paper ruined by old tape, slapped paper from another poster onto it, erased the pencil marks, etc.  The end result looks reasonably-presentable now but of course is totally worthless with all the low-tech surgery I employed.  (One more thing I could do is use Bestine to remove the old tape on the front, but I assume it would leave a brown stain.)

Before Frankenposter surgery:

After Frankenposter surgery:

This picture shows all the crazy tape and slap-on replacement paper:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:50:00 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
Looks good... just one tip, maybe use the same color pen as the background ;)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:05:11 PM by 50s »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
Picked up a Poppea's Hot Nights Italian 2P (55"H x 78"V) or $25.  It's just too large and unwieldy to hang as is , plus it has too much white space/credits, so I cut it down to a 1P size (39"H x 78"V) and taped the two pieces together with acid-free tape on the back.  Now it's more of a character poster.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:04:40 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
Picked up a Poppea's Hot Nights Italian 2P (55"H x 78"V) or $25.  It's just too large and unwieldy to hang as is , plus it has too much white space/credits, so I cut it down to a 1P size (39"H x 78"V) and taped the two pieces together with acid-free tape on the back.  Now it's more of a character poster.

Can't deny it, that is quite lovely.
David

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »
Why didn't you just re-fold it??????????
You chopped it to pieces.
I was right -- you are a butcher.
Now, I'm gonna have to come visit because this must be stopped.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »
Why didn't you just re-fold it??????????
You chopped it to pieces.
I was right -- you are a butcher.
Now, I'm gonna have to come visit because this must be stopped.

Me and Olinka will be waiting for you, pal.  Rest assured I have a few "five star" tricks up my sleeve to defend us against poster terrorists such as yourself....

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:14:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
I wonder what potential dates will think... hmmm, he like ravishing blondes... let me check for lip prints on the glass
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:26:35 PM by 50s »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
Admittedly it does look better but that it some kind of sacrilege going on there.  Chop up those Bond posters all you want but not the sexy ladies...

You've achieved too many elite poster collector stars to maintain sound judgment!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 10:44:33 PM »
Looks good... just one tip, maybe use the same color pen as the background ;)

And a good (felt) tip it is, Steve.

;D

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
I've been inspired.  My next plan is to cut down my To Catch a Thief Italian 1P down to a more-manageable 30x40. I can't understand Italian anyway, so I'll just write the title in English with permanent marker in the corner.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:14:22 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »