Author Topic: Thailand movie posters....  (Read 9218 times)

guest4531

Re: Thailand movie posters....
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »
Yes, Jeff, no worries on that one, I always study the seller and their feedback as much as I possibly can before using them, that's a no brainer for sure.

Oh by the way, Test1, you can PM to get name of fake seller... it seems it is the way it works here :) I will just copy and past previous PM I got, ahaha

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 12:15:08 PM »
Great pics and detail shots, Big Boss! Thanks for taking all of those. I see your one detail shot shows what looks like the artist's signature. It looks a bit stylized. Do you the name? The artwork is really very nice, too.

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 02:14:41 AM »
Great pics and detail shots, Big Boss! Thanks for taking all of those. I see your one detail shot shows what looks like the artist's signature. It looks a bit stylized. Do you the name? The artwork is really very nice, too.

Well, I failed considerably !!!   I am going to take better photo this weekend (you are the only one asking for this). 

Indeed, the artwork is really really nice and stylised.

As for the signature and artists, it is written there - http://illustrated007.blogspot.co.ke/2011/07/dr-no-poster-from-thailand.html - and there - http://www.swankmoderndesign.com/eyegasm.htm  (note the owner of exhibition :) ) - that the artist is "Piak Poster" (second well known Thai artist with Tongdee)... but strangely the signature doesn't read like "Piak" more like something like "Venturimos"??

** Note the

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 02:39:38 AM »
Maybe Pea or Phil (Ocularbeing) might be able to shed more light on that stylized signature.

There is what looks like an initial above the main signature (possibly the letter "M"?). And the first letter of the full name almost looks like maybe a stylized, letter "P"?

Gotta love a mystery.  sherlockholmes.gif

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »
Hi just saw this. Here are a couple things. Piak Poster (Somboonsuk Niyomsiri) owned a studio that painted posters for the distributors. Two of his other employees were Banharn and Tongdee and Piak was Tongdee's mentor. Many times in studios like his several artists worked on the same poster. Some did faces and others did scenery...it all depended. So when there were several artists in his studio that worked on one poster the signature was done in the way you see on the DR. NO poster:

When Piak did a poster where he was the only one who worked on it the signature looked like it does below. This can be found I believe on the older posters that Piak did when he was on his own. You can also find this signature on the poster version he did "more recently" for TEARS OF THE BLACK TIGER. Here are examples of both posters:

Unfortunately I'm 99% sure the majority of DR NO posters are fakes including the 2 I purchased from the most unscrupulous dealer I've ever dealt with who is very prominent in Thailand. This dealer also prints and sells the 1 sheet Apocalypse Now poster that has been verified to be a fake (only 2-sheets were made). If you've purchased the Dr. No you probably have dealt with him. Years ago I found all the Photoshop fixes on the Apocalypse Now poster and below are the ones I found on the DR NO. You can clearly see the difference in quality where a more-than-likely tear or blemish was covered up. Look how crisp the flames of the fire are...then 'poof' you get this blurry area with odd strange lines. This is not what a paint brush would create. The dealer took me for over $1500 on an order of several posters (including a couple other fakes) before I found out what his game was.

I included the DR. NO poster in the "Eyegasm: The Art of Thai Movie Posters" show due to it's incredible design. I'm stuck with about 5 or 6 different fake posters I purchased that I have never resold and never will. It's listed that the DR NO poster was sold on the Eyegasm site but it was not. I would never sell fake posters I've gotten stuck with though I've seen many others that have. Just eat the loss and move on is what I believe. It's what I had to go through to learn my lesson but it also taught me how to inspect posters for authentication. I'm guessing all serious collectors go through it at least once. So is life.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:33:33 PM by mwright »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »

Unfortunately I'm 99% sure the majority of DR NO posters are fakes including the 2 I purchased from the most unscrupulous dealer I've ever dealt with who is very prominent in Thailand

Great information on the artists and the warnings on the fakes.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to out this dealer so that all can avoid dealing with him.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:58 PM »
Hi MWright!  I fell for some of these shenanigans as well and got the dealer to take a couple back in trade.  I have the Dr. No and Apocalypse Now because they are so darn good looking.  I had an Apocalypse Now two sheet in 2013 for a few days, though traded it because it needed restoration. Wish I would have kept it now. Your framed 2 sheet is fabulous! The seemingly endless supply of some Thai posters should continue to keep this thread lively.  As far as reprints and dealers, I found dealer(s) that sell reprints also had some great originals I wanted as well.  Then there was also the night markets where you need a good flashlight to check the posters.  Most of my night market buys were for such fair prices (usually 30 to 300 Baht: 1 to 10 U.S. dollars) that I was pretty carefree and mainly just hunted striking images I liked regardless of movie country of origin.  Wish I was at a night market now!

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 06:12:06 PM »
Great information on the artists and the warnings on the fakes.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to out this dealer so that all can avoid dealing with him.

His name is Santi and he has a classic movie poster shop below the Lido theater in Thailand. Also okiehawker I would never trade anything back with him, what I would like is for him to give me my $1500 he took from me. I will never see it I know and so be it. It happens to all of us at some time.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:13:51 PM by mwright »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »
Wow.. so sorry to read that, Mike.

Does this guy ever sell on ebay? If so, do you know what his user name there is? Again, just asking so all can stay clear of this scammer.

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
He used to way back when but stopped completely about 4(?) years ago. Sad thing is he sells a mixture of great hard to find original Thai posters and blatant fakes. He owns several cool original Thai poster paintings and has a great collection.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks.

He sounds like the tloce and Gregg Egbert of Thailand.

Selling and dealing in both fakes AND originals.  moron1

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 06:03:03 AM »
Thanks for the excellent information, Mike.

Out of interest, do you have a Dr No without that blurring? If not, could it be that the photo/scan of the original painting was a bit blurry when they created the digital image for the poster and that this is present on all of them?

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2018, 11:14:10 PM »
Bought a thai kung fu poster but I know its real , def vintage paper stock with usual mild tanning so if the paper looks too fresh then beware.........

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
Bought a thai kung fu poster but I know its real , def vintage paper stock with usual mild tanning so if the paper looks too fresh then beware.........

I agree for the most part, though in the 60's they used to send some of their printing to be done by a company in Japan that used great paper. That paper still looks fresh to this day with many of my posters! It's much thicker as well.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »

Tang, do you have a pic (or will you be making a video clip) of this Kung fu poster that you got?

-Jeff

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 10:13:27 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q_LgcwUpLIg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q_LgcwUpLIg</a>
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:15:02 PM by erik1925 »