Author Topic: Heavy Poster tubes and the Royal Mail.  (Read 10066 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Heavy Poster tubes and the Royal Mail.
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
Well if you think Heavy poster tubes are the way to go, think again. Those wonderful ..................Boys at the Royal mail do like a challange, and they wasted no time in destroying a heavy walled poster tube. Their next step Plastic Waste pipe, BEWERE.

I'm sure they read "All popater forum" just to see how Pissed off they can make us. So far it's 4408 to 0. There's some clever people on here, and I want suggestions on how we can hit back. So come on guy's thinking caps on.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Heavy Poster tubes and the Royal Mail.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!  What was the poster, Paul?  Was it ensured?  Royal Mail sucks beyond belief.  I don't know what it is about this entity, what they do with tubes...  I mean, I understand playing football with a small box, but the brits are not even into baseball...   I feel your pain, man.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
Man, that tube is mangled. How the hell does the Royal Mail explain such abuse??
So sorry it happened, Paul.  That is tragic.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
they take the piss....
i had a roll of 10 moon quads crushed a while back, it was double heavy duty tubed... done my nut in the sorting office, no exageration, it must have been run over by a car or van...

please calm down sir & fill in this claim form.

F*@K The Claim Form.. i want my posters....

sorry about the language, but i just cant understand how these people hold a monopoly on mail...they lose like 14.4 million letters per year.
and put over 60% in the WRONG letterbox.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:36:19 PM by AmovieMasterpiece »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
Luckily it was only a cheap one £4.99, but not the point, even Ted's Sleeving would not have saved this one. It has had something Very heavy on it like a Lorry?   

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
Well, now it makes sense.  They probably read the title thru X-Rays and a Royal Mail employee who had just spent money to see the movie and felt like an idiot went crazy on the poster.  Revenge can be deadly.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

diesel

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »
Touch wood I've never had a problem with tubes and have posted 200 in the last year.

I get mine from the local carpet shop. The tubes that they roll the vinyls on is about 6mm thick and have to be cut with a saw. You can buy the end caps off ebay.

They get free disposal, I get free tubes, and we both sleep well at night knowing we've done our bit for recycling  ;D

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »
High 5 diesel,,very good solution  :)

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »
Well, now it makes sense.  They probably read the title thru X-Rays and a Royal Mail employee who had just spent money to see the movie and felt like an idiot went crazy on the poster.  Revenge can be deadly.

T

;D ;D ;D ;D   Though I do think it's an Omen as I don't usually buy new stuff.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
Wow...Thats great work that the Royal Mail does. They win the gold.

I agree. How much the poster costs isnt the point. Its the incompetence and the disregard for other peoples things thats disturbing.

Dont let this keep you from buying new stuff  :P

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 02:19:05 PM »
That is certainly some of the worst shipping damage I have seen!

Thankfully it wasn't something special inside ;)
Chris

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »
im in the plastic pipe gang.... cant beat it... only problem is you cant send multiple posters... so thats when i take the plunge and use a few toilet roll tubes stuck together.  ;D

guest8

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »
Well the Royal folks arent the only (mis)handlers that need a little guidance in how to treat a poster tube .. THE USPS folk could use a lesson in how to keep a tub dry !! My Great Warrior (Yoda) print arrived the other day with some outside damage but I held hopes that there would be little to no damage just to realize as I was cutting the tape off that the tube was WET... Now by the time I got it was was only damp on the inside .. It sat somewhere long enough that it had mostly dried out but the evidence inside and how the paper of the print was "soft" to the touch assured me that at one time this must have ended up at the bottom of someones pool :P ... heres some pics of that damage ! :(

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:09:33 AM »
Man, that's a sorry sight.

I guess we've all been on the end of tube damage, but submerged wetness. Yikes!

Well the Royal folks arent the only (mis)handlers that need a little guidance in how to treat a poster tube .. THE USPS folk could use a lesson in how to keep a tub dry !! My Great Warrior (Yoda) print arrived the other day with some outside damage but I held hopes that there would be little to no damage just to realize as I was cutting the tape off that the tube was WET... Now by the time I got it was was only damp on the inside .. It sat somewhere long enough that it had mostly dried out but the evidence inside and how the paper of the print was "soft" to the touch assured me that at one time this must have ended up at the bottom of someones pool :P ... heres some pics of that damage ! :(

diesel

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »
US senders have no excuse as they can get Yazoo tubes over there.  :)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Most people in the US can actually have cores made stronger than Yazoo specks and at half the price with a little research.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
Most people in the US can actually have cores made stronger than Yazoo specks and at half the price with a little research.

The same applies for sellers in the UK, too!  Cardboard tube manufacturers will quote for any dimensions you require.  First stop Google, then choose a supplier near you!

Best wishes,
Terry
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk