Author Topic: Condition- When collecting, why you should wait for the best condition  (Read 12852 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
I've been collecting for a very long time. Bought my first comic in 1962 and my first movie posters in 1966 (I still have a Universal 6sh for Dead Man's Eyes I got when I was 9 or 10!).

Of course we all know I'm a dealer also, but I'm a dealer BECAUSE I'm a collector. I have always maintained various collections and moved back and forth between them. Some, like my newspaper comics sections (complete color sections, not cut) I have maintained for decades, while things like my comic art collection and comic books have been distributed to the 4 winds and my 3rd go-round with a photoplay collection is about to go on the auction block at profiles soon..

One of the things that is always a consideration is condition, though I will admit it's less important in posters usually than it was with comic books, but there are some basics to me.

first of all.. when you collect something, there are a number of factors that are considered.
In general, I do NOT collect material that has been restored, or just backed without restoration.
I don't collect linen, I collect paper. Most of the linenbacked (or other backing) posters I have had in 1sh or smaller sizes I have replaced, or will for ones that I have not when I can find them. To me, being linenbacked is a defect, especially for posters that did not need any restoration. I think it's a crime to back a sharp condition poster, for any reason.

Also, unless a poster is rare and very difficult to find, I generally won't buy a low grade poster with lots of damage and I will wait until I can get a satisfactory copy. Of course if I need a poster and it's really really cheap, I will fill that hole until I get a better copy.

I do not for instance, buy a low grade poster with the idea that I will back it to make it satisfactory.
In this instance I will just wait and I usually try not to buy posters I plan on replacing later anyway, because it is an added expense and I can just buy other posters I'm looking for

No doubt about it, that as posters are newer, I won't even consider buying a linenbacked copy or lower grade poster. Sure I still need a Long Goodbye style-B and it's tough to find, but I'm just going to wait - however many years it takes - to get a copy I'll be happy with.

how do the rest of you feel abut waiting, not waiting, buying whatever, etc..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
Going to be interesting seeing different philosophies on this.

Mine is simple:

Buy what I want when it's available, upgrade it if/when the opportunity arises, which is often.

I think this is simpler when you only have a finite number of posters on the "list" and none of them are particularly old or ultra rare. These days, about 75% of my purchases are rolled upgrades from folded copies I bought long ago. I sell off the lesser versions, update my spreadsheet and move on.

I'm with you on backing; don't own anything linenbacked at this time. Not necessarily against it, I've just been able to find everything I want in its original state so far.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
It just isn't that simple for me.  First, you are working on an assumption that the goal is to have a pristine example.  Personally, I like my posters to show that they lived a life doing their job, so a few wrinkles and pinholes are an advantage in my collection.  However, that doesn't mean I am happy with something that is falling apart at the folds, or a poster that is missing a significant portion of its artwork.  Censor stamps and snipes are often a feature to me, but not always.  An example would be the Kiss Me Kate insert that covered up the 3-D text with a snipe to show it in a 'normal' theater.

Lobby cards are another aspect.  I am coming around to buying complete sets wherever possible as I spend more putting together a set and end up with most of a set's worth of duplicates.  Still, I will collect a single or small subset when the price is very low.  I will also bid when I don't really care about the film, but need a piece of paper to add to a theme.  An example is some card to add a title to my classic musical collection.

I have never loved a poster so much that I sent it out for restoration or backing.  It would need to be a unicorn.  Otherwise I would simply wait for a better one to come along.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
With modern posters, post 1980, I will only buy mint condition posters and systematically return anything with the smallest damages.

With older posters, I will always wait for a clean folded copy.  Some can be hard to find, so I buy what I believe is the best copy I can find. fix the damages myself and shove it into the flat file.  A lot of older French or Italian posters, for examples, have fold separation, tears, tiny holes at crossfolds...  They were not meant to last forever and it is quite often impossible to find a perfect copy, mostly due to paper quality and size.

I do not linenback.  Pretty much ever.  I recently sent 2 posters to Mario, the first in years, mostly because the posters were getting worse with time and every other copy out there, if available, had the same issues.  I had no choice.

Sometimes I feel like I won't be able to find a folded copy of a specific poster, so I cave and get it linenbacked.  It happened with a few of my Bardots.  It was either buying a linenbacked copy or never owning the poster.  Of course, one folded copy could surface at a later date, but the chances are so small, I might be dead before it does.  I almost made a mistake with the US Laura.  I really wanted a folded copy but could not find it anywhere.  I was about to give up when 2 surfaced in 2016.  Go figure.  For the French Laura, I had to buy it linenbacked because there are only 2 known copies and they are both linenbacked.  Again, no choice. 

In short, I always try to stay away from linenbacked posters and always wait for a better folded copy.

T
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:58:55 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
I prefer everything pristine, no matter the age.

Easier with the Bond collection, not at all easy with the old Saint lobby cards.

So unless I am utterly confident there will be a pristine example out there, I will buy what is available now, and maintain an eye out for the pristine example.  To this end, even though the Saint lobbies are all '38 to early '50s, they are all pristine....Now.

• Post-aholic
First, you are working on an assumption that the goal is to have a pristine example.

totally incorrect. the word I used was 'satisfactory'

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
And almost nothing from the early part of the 20th century would ever be "pristine" anyhow. But then again, it's all about how one defines that word, too.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Fair point.  Change my response to either unused or best available.  FWIW, I do have paper going back to 1917 that has never been used.  Still has glitter glued on.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
That's why I was specific in my comment, saying almost nothing, as there are wonderful pieces from those long ago decades that got squirreled away and avoided ever being used or displayed.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Going to be interesting seeing different philosophies on this.

Mine is simple:

Buy what I want when it's available, upgrade it if/when the opportunity arises, which is often.

I think this is simpler when you only have a finite number of posters on the "list" and none of them are particularly old or ultra rare. These days, about 75% of my purchases are rolled upgrades from folded copies I bought long ago. I sell off the lesser versions, update my spreadsheet and move on.

I'm with you on backing; don't own anything linenbacked at this time. Not necessarily against it, I've just been able to find everything I want in its original state so far.

Jim, what are some of the titles you bought that were folded originally, that you later found rolled?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:38:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
Re: Condition- When collecting, why you should wait for the best condition
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
Fair point.  Change my response to either unused or best available.  FWIW, I do have paper going back to 1917 that has never been used.  Still has glitter glued on.

me also, but no glitter
 :P

-------

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 07:52:34 PM »
Jim, what are some of the titles you bought that were folded originally, that you later found rolled?

A few within the past 6 months:

• Star Wars: Return of the Jedi 1sh (Sano)
• Labyrinth 1sh (Coconis)
• The Terminator 1sh
• The Goonies 1sh (Struzan)
• Raiders of the Lost Ark 1sh '82 RR (Amsel)
• Back to the Future 1sh (NSS style)

A few I'm still looking for:

• Alien 1sh
• Blade Runner 1sh
• Halloween 1sh
• Jaws 1sh
• Tron 1sh
• Star Wars: A New Hope 1sh

It's not that they're particularly hard to find. It's just price and timing for me. Since I already have these folded, I'm slowly working through the collection and upgrading when it makes financial sense.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »
Some of these titles are more difficult to find rolled than others. 

Jaws, of course, would be the most difficult.  But even Back to the Future NSS is no easy find.  I was checking Bruce's site, and he's only auctioned 2, and God knows he's auctioned Back to the Future A LOT.  2 out of 75.  One was signed, so really only 1.  Halloween is also difficult to find.  Tron, I don't even have.  Only a tri-folded.

T
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:38:51 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 05:01:59 AM »
Great Thread Rich - i am happy to take a poster in average condition if i feel i won't find another one for a good period of time.
better to have something than nothing at all- In saying that i wouldn't overpay for an average condition poster the deal would have to be right to proceed.
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
Great Thread Rich - i am happy to take a poster in average condition if i feel i won't find another one for a good period of time.
better to have something than nothing at all- In saying that i wouldn't overpay for an average condition poster the deal would have to be right to proceed.

thanks Man!
sm1

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
Depending on which era or decade a poster is from, I might go for it, should it be something that hasnt been seen before, or when huge chunks of time go by before another may appear. But if something is reall trashed, I would pass, I think, as Im also not a fan of linen, unless a poster is in desperate need of conservation and support.

Things I have from the 20s, 30s or 40s Im totally happy with. And I wont be looking to upgrade any of those, even with their small battle scars (bent corners, small cross fold holes, tiny border tears etc) showing they have lived and survived all of these decades, intact.

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
A good folded copy beats a backed copy in my opinion. However, you could be waiting years for that good folded copy so I have bought the posters I want regardless of being folded or backed. This is down to the fact that some of the posters I have bought haven't surfaced very often.

I have 8 Gene T 1sheets left to get, 3 I could but tomorrow (prices are way too high) the other 5 I haven't seen for a number of years so if they turn up backed I'll try and buy them.

I think I have about 6 Gene T backed posters.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:06:22 PM by timelessmoviemagic »
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
I also restarted my collecting after several years of hiatus with the intent of only collecting one copy of my favorite movies. I now find myself with several copies of the favorite movies in different conditions. Now I am left asking myself what shall I do with the posters that not as good. Keep them, restore them or try to sell them.
Rudy

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:47 PM »
I'm not cheap but a good 'score' does make me feel good which means probably scoring a lesser quality poster for a more palatable price. 

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »
Hey! guys,

Good to see a discussion on here about condition thumbsup.gif one thing I'd like to know is what is everyone's cut-off point and limit you would accept when buying a poster with condition problems?

In other words is there any one thing that would stop you buying a poster no matter how much you wanted it? for example things like paper loss, tape stains, pinholes & fold wear etc. would any one or more of these things put you off instantly?

Or if it's a tough poster to find would you settle for one in any condition just to own it?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »
I think a huge consideration for me would be large areas of paper loss, that would then need to be re-created-- even more so in areas of the key artwork.

Depending on its age, small border tears, pin holes, writing on the back dont bother me. They show that a poster was used and lived a healthy, display-life, especially those that are from many decades past.

-Jeff

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
Fold wear and pin holes would not stop me, however I would have consider seriously to buy if paper loss and tape stains were present. Seem to me, these type of posters would require restoration at some point.
Rudy

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
I think a huge consideration for me would be large areas of paper loss, that would then need to be re-created-- even more so in areas of the key artwork.

Depending on its age, small border tears, pin holes, writing on the back dont bother me. They show that a poster was used and lived a healthy, display-life, especially those that are from many decades past.

Paper loss would also be my no.1 concern for any poor condition poster, as you said especially if it touches/hurts the main artwork.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 03:04:34 PM »
Fold wear and pin holes would not stop me, however I would have consider seriously to buy if paper loss and tape stains were present. Seem to me, these type of posters would require restoration at some point.

Hey! Rudy,

Your quite right about the tape stains, I have one such poster (UK Quad) that has nasty tape stains in every corner of the border, luckily it's nowhere near the main artwork, but, it's still a little annoying, I asked a restorer recently about it and how easily it could be removed and they told me it would take hours of work and the price they gave me for the work was more than the poster itself is worth, truly ridiculous.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
if a poster does not look good for framing as-is, it's a no-go with a singular exception: the poster is rare enough, that you are willing to accept it as a filler until you can replace it.

I mean it's really rare, not just something you don't see often. rare=nearly impossible to find over a long period of time, not a couple years.
of course I recognize if you are 30 and been collecting for 2 years, anything can look like it is rare, but it's not. rarity is easily researched

there is material I've been looking for for 30 years.. and material I may never find......

-------