Author Topic: March 2017  (Read 38395 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: March 2017
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2017, 01:13:52 AM »
Some may know better than me. I think it used to sell for $200-$250 when it first came out. Hence the bootlegs.
Nowadays ebay gets around $75. Its a cool image, heath's death, and all the batman/joker fans have to be a factor.

So as long as buyers are diligent and know what to look for, it sounds like ebay might be the place to at least look rather than paying almost double (if not more, at times), at other locales. But that can be risky, since this poster has been repro'd to such a degree.

And thanks again, Jason, for this link on Jeannie's authentication site regarding this poster: http://movieposterauthenticating.com/wordpress/the-dark-knight/the-dark-knight-style-b/

I had NO worries or concerns about the legitimacy of Klownicle's copy beforehand but this is still a great and helpful authentication link for anyone looking to buy or even to check his/her own copy.

Just for the heck of it, I did do a compare of the copy I received with the pics and info in the link. And it checked out with a clean bill of health.  star.gif
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:26:15 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:37 AM »
I purchased one off ebay - the seller used pics of an original but sent a knock off version  - of course he said that he used stock pics and that he didn't know it was a repo, but what else would he say. it was returned for a full refund including postage.

I can understand why many buyers do not trust ebay with this poster and are happy to pay a much larger amount off a dealer. There are just tons of fakes around.

It would be interesting to hear from Bruce id like to know if many people had sent EMP this poster for consignment not knowing what they had was a repo.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:56:37 AM by Damomac »
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2017, 06:54:55 AM »
keep meaning to post some new stuff but memory like a sieve  ;)

some re-releases
Donnie Darko - one of my fav films & the sountrack is excellent!

North by Northwest - already have the earlier version but i prefer this

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - nearly gave up on finding one of these & one pops up on ebay - result!

Casablanca - again one id been after for a while - the later version - single sided

The Town that Dreaded Sundown- limited run of 500, Graham Humphries quad an example of patience serving me well. The seller bought some stuff off the distributor when they were closing & told me he had 4 of this & Strange Body. i then just waited till the last ones he was selling & bought for half the price of the 1st lot thumbsup.gif

Logan - the missus has extended her "favourite actor" list to Hugh jackman so this lot were a must. The last 5 are part of a set of 6 which i think was issued to a few cinemas for display - single sided & made of card, they are currently being displayed in the hallway, up the stairs & on the landing!

im extending my collection of animated poster to some more obscure stuff & anime

&,finally, some older stuff
Seven Thieves - never watched the film but i like the art 

Hud  & Outrage - just a few more quads to go & the Paul Newman collection will be complete - thou Outrage is trimmed slightly which bit annoying as it was suppose to be 30x40 >:D

Night of Living Dead - not really into horror but was going cheap

Two Mules for Sister Sara - great film & at a price to good to be true

Inn of Sixth Happiness - nice art - weirdly noticed a load turn up on ebay/auction sites over couple months having never seen before & havent seen any since

Stay tuned for next instalment later in the week 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:44:53 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
Some great pick up's there - Donnie and Logan Quads on my want list.

i have the Aussie version of "Your Name" - very rare here, only ever seen one which i have -  do you know if the Quad version was also printed in limited numbers?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:15:03 AM by Damomac »

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »
The Logan V1 & V2 should be fairly easy to get hold off thou I prefer the V2. Ronnie will probably set u back best part of £40 but quite a limited screening.
Your Name , like most anime films, was a limited release & most cinemas only received the one quad. Tight buggers! The poster is great thou. A Silent Voice is another with similar art but I haven't found one yet for a reasonable price.

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:12 AM »
The Quad has different art to the Aussie  - i just added a pic above - both versions are really nice posters.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:26:22 AM by Damomac »

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »
Nice!
Logan V1 - £8-10 V2 £10-15
How much is the postage UK-Aus for quads? If u ever need a "poster buddy" to hold onto some posters till the tube is full u just need to ask thumbsup.gif

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
Thanks mate i might take you up on that - i have to buy in lots off the one seller as postage is about the same for one poster and it is 6 - 8 -normally around 12 - $15 quad. The GSP is a farce and i just won't buy off those people who only offer it - 20 quad plus for that rip off - never used it once.

Very rarely i buy just one poster it would have to be rare or something i really want which i don't think i could get cheaper - i do factor in the postage price when bidding and because of that i miss out on a lot of items but but thats ok - plenty of posters to buy without over paying  thumbsup.gif

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2017, 08:01:40 AM »
Cool stuff, Mike! I almost bid against you on a few of those, glad you got em. I just remembered I owe you some £ too, will PM you now!!

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »

Awesome grabs, Mike.

Love the N by NW and The Town that Dreaded Sundown, but they're all pretty killer. Congrats on the great haul.

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
damo - whenever i send poster to the States i can normally get 10 posters in the tube b4 the price goes silly. agreed on GSP - never use it & will avoid sellers who do! whenever u want me to start collecting your quad haul  just ask. they can post to me & ill send the tube when full. i wont tell the missus that shes collecting other peoples posters now as well!
re. Silent Voice - in negotiations as we speak but hes still asking too much crying

tob - i imagine ive been bidding against a few on this forum for a while now. i know posterart has bid on a few since we collect similar stuff. no worries on the £ - my guy has only just sent the stuff as hes been promoted & done a tour of film festivals etc & been too busy to post. good news is ill be receiving 2 tubes of smashing posters. bonus!

chris - cheers - TTTDS is a firm favourite  & since i had an offer of £65 turned down when i first saw them appear on ebay & only paid £30....... :)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2017, 09:38:23 AM »
keep meaning to post some new stuff but memory like a sieve  ;)

some re-releases

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - nearly gave up on finding one of these & one pops up on ebay - result!

Hi M154cath
I have quite a few of these, in particular the rerelease ones as I collect them. That GPB is on my Park Circus WANTS list if you are interested to sell it or do a trade for it.

I must have missed it on the bay . Out of interested when did it come up?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:41:14 AM by poster art »

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
Hi posterart
Sorry GPB isn't for sale - taken me 5yrs to find one after I realised they existed!
The only possible trade would be my holy grail of re-releases - a series of 3 Ealing comedy re-releases from 2013 which I've never seen - Lavender Hill Mob, Whiskey Galore & The Ladykillers. I have the images somewhere. I'll try & find them & post later
I think I bought it November-ish last year - also bought Casablanca & North by NW from him.

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
my mistake - lavender hill mob not the ladykillers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
Great haul there, Mike! Im really liking 7 Thieves, HUD, Inn of the 6th Happiness and Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears.

Little side observation: the art on Strange Colour looks like it was influenced by this 1897 poster by Mucha. And look at the hair curls on the lower right side. It's almost a match. Regardless, Strange Colour is really a beautiful poster.  bed1

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:43:23 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »
Geez Jeff you find a lot of "borrowed" art! Nice work!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
Yes, sharp eyes Jeff - I don't know how you do it. The hair is almost identical in the lower sections.

Whilst I don't collect them myself I think the re-issue quads are an interesting category of poster to acquire given the different artwork and the low print runs. Mike - did Graham Humphries issue his poster to coincide with a theatrical re-release of The Town That Dreaded Sundown or is it to publicise something else?

Mark

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
Think Jeff must have photographic memory or some clever app that matches up images!
Mark - TTTDS poster was commissioned for the 2016 release with a limited print of 50 by Metrodome, the distributor.
Re. Re-release posters - I collect them mostly for those reasons & the fact I can't afford the originals. I'm lucky to have someone who gets most of the Park Circus & BFI otherwise I'd have to be glued to eBay as u only have a limited window to find them & then they're gone. Some like To Catch a Thief & African Queen u would only see 1-2 on eBay, with only 20 odd cinemas showing the films. It's a shame Park Circus & BFI don't sell them like some of the other smaller distributors

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:48 PM »
Think Jeff must have photographic memory or some clever app that matches up images!
Mark - TTTDS poster was commissioned for the 2016 release with a limited print of 50 by Metrodome, the distributor.
Re. Re-release posters - I collect them mostly for those reasons & the fact I can't afford the originals. I'm lucky to have someone who gets most of the Park Circus & BFI otherwise I'd have to be glued to eBay as u only have a limited window to find them & then they're gone. Some like To Catch a Thief & African Queen u would only see 1-2 on eBay, with only 20 odd cinemas showing the films. It's a shame Park Circus & BFI don't sell them like some of the other smaller distributors

HI, you are so lucky having someone who gets the Park Circus posters. I love them but they are so hard to get. Only got about 10 from the 30 or so that I want.  I remember seeing that To Catch a Thief and the GPB posters by the same seller last year, I was outbid on both but I did get something else from the same guy though I cannot remember which now. Well it will be one of the 10 that I have.

Love the Kind Hearts of Coronets poster, all of those three you are nice  - haven't seem them before so thanks for sharing.

Here's another couple of Park Circus ones. I don't have them but really like and are high on my WANTS list.

Here's another of the 10 I do have though - Guys and Dolls

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:13:36 PM by poster art »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2017, 11:18:51 PM »
Great haul there, Mike! Im really liking 7 Thieves, HUD, Inn of the 6th Happiness and Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears.

Little side observation: the art on Strange Colour looks like it was influenced by this 1897 poster by Mucha. And look at the hair curls on the lower right side. It's almost a match. Regardless, Strange Colour is really a beautiful poster.  bed1

Good catch Jeff.  Not the first time Mucha's iconic hair has been ripped off... here is Dagny, a Polish film from 1977.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2017, 11:25:10 PM »
I picked up a copy of this a few days ago for the recent film The Love Witch. I quite liked the film, very different made in the style of those 70s horror pics, Very stylish. Don't expect to see many of these around so grabbed one while I can.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2017, 01:12:11 AM »
Nice pickup, there, John. The art looks awesome in the landscape format.  cool1

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2017, 02:20:19 AM »
Good catch Jeff.  Not the first time Mucha's iconic hair has been ripped off... here is Dagny, a Polish film from 1977.

Another well spotted "inspired by" piece.  In addition to the similar artwork, all 3 have an intriguing, overall style.

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2017, 03:31:16 AM »
seem to have deleted/moved  some images - thanks jeff for pointing it out

posterart - at one stage i had 3 arthouse cinema contacts but now just the one. best thing to do is visit your local arthouse cinema alot , join any membership scheme they have & get to know the manager & gradually introduce your love of film posters & keep your fingers crossed nobody beaten u to it!
The Love witch is great - i have the one sheet already so its defo on the list
Ive never seen Only Angels Have Wings quad. i have the guys & Dolls & in cold blood thou.