Graphic and Fine Art Posters > Show Us Your Collection!

Let's see your Pictorial Maps (or other maps)!

(1/6) > >>

DekeThornton:
For me, pictorial maps fall under the broad category of posters as for the most part, they were produced for decorative and advertising purposes rather than for navigation. But if anybody has any regular maps they want to share, that is OK too  :)

I have picked up a few pictorial maps in the course of collecting material related to Mexico.  I encourage anyone else to share their maps in this thread.

First up is a map of "Fauna and Flora of the Pacific". This was designed by the Mexican artist Miguel Covarrubias, and is part of a folio of 6 maps of the Pacific that were produced for the Golden Gate International Exposition in San Francisco in 1939.

This one is headed for the wall of my daughter's bedroom once I purchase a suitable frame.  Like most toddlers, she is pretty obsessed with all animals.

DekeThornton:
Here is one more, a Pictorial Map of Mexico, designed by artist Miguel Gomez Medina.

The design is originally from 1931, though I believe this is likely a later printing from the same publisher.

DekeThornton:
My one other pictorial map, this time of the Federal District of Mexico.  Also by Miguel Gomez Medina, possibly a later printing of the original design from the 1930's.

erik1925:
Did you find these maps at various times, Deke? Or were they a group that you happened to come across?

All have really vibrant color and quite the detail, that's for sure.

DekeThornton:

--- Quote from: erik1925 on February 05, 2017, 01:58:29 PM ---Did you find these maps at various times, Deke? Or were they a group that you happened to come across?

All have really vibrant color and quite the detail, that's for sure.

--- End quote ---

I bought the Mexico and Mexico City (DF) maps from the same seller.

I found the map of the Pacific separately.

My wife is actually encouraging me to frame the maps and put them on the wall, which is more than I can say for most of my posters  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version