Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 250031 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
I know I'm fucked. I was just asking about the degree.

moron1

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #251 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2011, 06:18:42 AM »
I didn't realize that the special edition was released theatrically! I loved that film (both cuts)... I just wish it had better paper for it.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
Unicorn sighting...

http://stylec.yuku.com/sreply/106470/Latest-Acquisitions-for-March-2011

Nice one Archie.  That is a great movie and poster.  I'm pretty sure that's the only poster in your collection I've seen.  Congrats.  thumbup

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
I didn't realize that the special edition was released theatrically! I loved that film (both cuts)... I just wish it had better paper for it.

I agree, although the 'kiss' poster isn't terrible.  This image is easily the best available on the title.

It was an extremely small run - it opened on one screen in NY and in LA at the end of Feb' '93, then continued on to a few other cities in the U.S - mainly to promote the video release.  I would guess that it played similarly in the UK.

It also played a few festival dates.  The version I saw was 8 minutes longer than the special edition.  I have a vague recollection of seeing a one-sheet when I saw it at SIFF.  Roland (Hot Doggie, Hot Dog), who managed the theater were it ran at the time, confirmed the existence of the one sheet.

The only image I've come across for the one sheet came from the halls of ILM...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
Nice one Archie.  That is a great movie and poster.  I'm pretty sure that's the only poster in your collection I've seen.  Congrats.  thumbup

I don't buy all that much these days.  I have the vast majority of what I want, unless I hit the lottery, and am very particular about what I buy.  Most of what I'm looking for rarely, if ever, pops up for auction or sale.  My last three aquisitions were all posters that I've been after for several years.

Other semi-unicorns I've puchased semi-recently...

Blade Runner 30x40 - I held out for a 30x40 because I am not a fan of fold lines on posters post '75 or so and I wouldn't own a rolled one-sheet on this title for anything... I fully believe the story Dan told about these one-sheets being printed and re-printed from the original plates for years after the original run.

Stock pic... mine was is near perfect condition...

Audition B2 original (I also have the nearly identical, but more common video release)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:29:30 PM by archie leach »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »
I don't buy all that much these days.  I have the vast majority of what I want, unless I hit the lottery, and am very particular about what I buy.  Most of what I'm looking for rarely, if ever, pops up for auction or sale.  My last three aquisitions were all posters that I've been after for several years.

Well you could post some of your gear (old and/or new) in the "show us your collection" topic  ;), but no worries bro.  I'm pretty sure that although people here like to see some nice eye candy in the form of paper, no one here is going to mafia style strong-arm you to post pics of your collection.  It was just somewhat surprising to me that someone such as yourself with as much knowledge (and shares that knowledge on here) didn't also show off some of your collection.  That Blade Runner is a beaut.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2011, 08:43:16 PM »
I agree, although the 'kiss' poster isn't terrible.  This image is easily the best available on the title.

It was an extremely small run - it opened on one screen in NY and in LA at the end of Feb' '93, then continued on to a few other cities in the U.S - mainly to promote the video release.  I would guess that it played similarly in the UK.

It also played a few festival dates.  The version I saw was 8 minutes longer than the special edition.  I have a vague recollection of seeing a one-sheet when I saw it at SIFF.  Roland (Hot Doggie, Hot Dog), who managed the theater were it ran at the time, confirmed the existence of the one sheet.

The only image I've come across for the one sheet came from the halls of ILM...

Nice, that one sheet is great.  Easily the best paper I've seen on the title.  Although you are correct... of the other paper, the kiss poster is pretty good.  Great flick.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2011, 01:14:34 AM »

Pretty sweet, Jason.  Its nice to see another card stock Blade Runner on the forum.  They don't show up in good condition all that often.  I can't wait until I get back to the states to get mine framed and up on the wall.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »
Archie, do you have a link to Dan's discussion about Blade Runner one sheets? I've seen at least three different versions sold by Bruce, Heritage, various dealers and also in various collections. I have one like Holidays (with NSS blurb) that I bought from Granada Posters several years ago assuming it to be original. This has also been sold by those above and is still available from a few dealers today. Details available on LAMP.

I found an article on MOPO from 2006 where the short discussion concluded that the NSS blurb version (with misaligned text in the bottom right) is a repro where a forger pasted the blurb and other text over an original release and then copied that combination. I find this a little hard to believe as it'd be like someone forging the Mona Lisa and then giving the copy a nose ring and a low-cut top - i.e. surely too obvious?

Does Dan have any evidence to back up the claim that the original plates were used to reprint this title? Of course, nowadays it's a cult title, but in the early 80s it wasn't a huge hit to begin with so the demand for the poster wouldn't have been there as it is today. Would Continental Litho (or other printers) have held the plates for a title for several years? Are they not destroyed or recycled?

I'm not trying to defend my one sheet as legit, but I'd love to know why you'd never buy a rolled one in more detail.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:27:57 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
I have a rolled one sheet as well. I can't remember for sure but I think I got it from Bruce's Auction. I'd have to double check to make sure as I have me receipt buried somewhere.

So there's no way that someone could have held back a stack or two of one sheets that got printed and were never folded since they were never going to be shipped? Is it not possible that they slightly over printed thinking demand on the movie was going to be bigger than it was?  Then it didn't to as well as expected at the box office so they cut the request for posters and put a different movie poster up for display?

I'm not trying to defend my one sheet either. I just want the truth as the truth has no agenda.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
I have a folded Bladerunner that came from a theater manager buyout with the blurred text, and I have zero reason to believe it would be a repro.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »
Pretty sweet, Jason.  Its nice to see another card stock Blade Runner on the forum.  They don't show up in good condition all that often.  I can't wait until I get back to the states to get mine framed and up on the wall.

Just to clarify, that is a borrowed image.  My poster was in better shape than the one Bruce auctioned.  A 40x60 on this title is just crazy.  Buying 30x40's solves the two biggest problems from most posters of the time - fold lines and reprints. 

BTW, I nearly pulled the trigger on what became your Strangelove 40x60.  I held back because I already have the one sheet, but that's one sweet poster.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
Does Dan have any evidence to back up the claim that the original plates were used to reprint this title? Of course, nowadays it's a cult title, but in the early 80s it wasn't a huge hit to begin with so the demand for the poster wouldn't have been there as it is today. Would Continental Litho (or other printers) have held the plates for a title for several years? Are they not destroyed or recycled?

I believe Dan's comments were lost to either the MPT graveyard or the early days of NSFGE, but they might still be in the archives somewhere.

Blade Runner, while not a box office success originally, became a cult hit almost immediately, particularly upon the initial home video release.  It was common for Warner Bros. to use one-sheets for the video releases that were identical to standard theatrical one-sheets throughout the '80s and into the very early '90s (Full Metal Jacket and Gremlins 2 are two that I remember).  

So there's no way that someone could have held back a stack or two of one sheets that got printed and were never folded since they were never going to be shipped? Is it not possible that they slightly over printed thinking demand on the movie was going to be bigger than it was?  Then it didn't to as well as expected at the box office so they cut the request for posters and put a different movie poster up for display?

Sure, it's possible and even likely that 'legitimate' rolled BR poster exist through various means, but the ability to separate between legit and reprint simply doesn't and, likely, will never exist, therefore you'll never really know.  The simple unending availability of rolled posters for this title since it's initial release leads me to believe that far more copies (and far more rolled examples) exist for this title than for others in this period.  

Also, when compared to comparable titles of the period, the drastic difference between one-sheet availability (very common) and the availability of non-minty inserts, 30x40s or 40x60s (always been very difficult to come by) is striking.

Much of this reasoning is based on simple observation, but my overall feeling (which I had even before Dan made his statement) is that something had to be off with these posters.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »
Just to clarify, that is a borrowed image.  My poster was in better shape than the one Bruce auctioned. 

Hey Archie..

Can you post a pic of your actual poster? And why do you say your poster WAS in better shape than the one Bruce auctioned? Do you no longer own or have it?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »
Very interesting stuff Archie. I have had that one sheet BR on my list.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #267 on: March 16, 2011, 07:51:14 PM »
Can you post a pic of your actual poster? And why do you say your poster WAS in better shape than the one Bruce auctioned? Do you no longer own or have it?

No, I still have it (it only took 20 years to get - I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon) so I could, but the pic would, essentially, be the same and at this point it's not worth the effort.  I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't get this through Bruce's auction, not that there's anything wrong with that...  :P

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
BTW, I nearly pulled the trigger on what became your Strangelove 40x60.  I held back because I already have the one sheet, but that's one sweet poster.

Thanks.  I was actually very surprised to pull it down at the opening bid.  I say with some chagrin that I actually have not even seen it yet........I have not been home since June.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »
Unicorns from days gone by.

I have never seen images of what appear to be the two 3-sheets, facing front:

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »
Jeff,  I think those could be simply theatre-made displays/adverts.

But I could be wrong.  Anyone have a pressbook?
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2011, 11:12:40 PM »
100% local theater posters.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
And 100% awesome!

Offline erik1925