Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 251779 times)

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Unicorns
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2010, 09:47:28 PM »
Congrats!  That's a splendid poster.  Glad you finally got yourself a copy

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »
Thanks for info, Ed.  I've read Dan R's article on it, it doesn't have the Sonis logo, and the seller - who appears to be very truthful - says it came directly from Arnon Milchan, the producer.

Why would it come from Milchan?  It doesn't make any sense.  WB distributed the movie, not Regency.  Regency probably got a few posters, a dozen maybe, but they're not in charge of marketing and getting posters from marketing is a pain in the ass.  While I don't doubt the authenticity of the poster, its provenance seems iffy to me.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
And BTW, this is the exact reason why Sonis is seen as a bad thing. 

Sonis is a totally legit French distributor of posters, but in the 90s, they realized they could buy licensing from Hwd studios and reprint posters.  Along with Zig Zag, they made tons of money reproducing their own posters (like the large French Star Wars) along with American flicks in the OS format (like this one).  So people started thinking that Sonis meant reprints, when in fact, 90% of French posters from the mid-60s to today bear the Sonis logo.  However, if you find an American sized poster with the Sonis logo, it will always be a reprint.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:55 AM »
Why would it come from Milchan?  It doesn't make any sense.  WB distributed the movie, not Regency.  Regency probably got a few posters, a dozen maybe, but they're not in charge of marketing and getting posters from marketing is a pain in the ass.  While I don't doubt the authenticity of the poster, its provenance seems iffy to me.

Of course it could all be BS, but the sellers are not poster dealers.  The source is supposedly a "celebrity" who got it from Milchan or the director or either the "celebrity" is Milchan himself.  The guy's a multi-billionaire, so I imagine normal roadblocks don't apply to him.  Whatevev - just another $160 spent on posters.  I used to think $160 was a big deal.  Now it's just another day's pay spent on Ebay  ;D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
And BTW, this is the exact reason why Sonis is seen as a bad thing. 

Sonis is a totally legit French distributor of posters, but in the 90s, they realized they could buy licensing from Hwd studios and reprint posters.  Along with Zig Zag, they made tons of money reproducing their own posters (like the large French Star Wars) along with American flicks in the OS format (like this one).  So people started thinking that Sonis meant reprints, when in fact, 90% of French posters from the mid-60s to today bear the Sonis logo.  However, if you find an American sized poster with the Sonis logo, it will always be a reprint.

T

Thanks for that post T. I have some of those and was starting to wonder...

Thomsen

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08:13 PM »
Now, I haven't posted this "unicorn" of mine on this thread yet, but I have searched for it for almost 10 years and the very few times it did appear, I was outbid.  Today...SUCCESS!

Painted by the late Tim Hildebrandt (of the Brothers Hildebrandt), this seldom-seen masterpiece is one of my all-time schlock-movie poster favorites, ranking right up there with EQUINOX, THE GREEN SLIME and GALAXY OF TERROR.  Outrageous graphics and brilliant colors command the attention, don't they?

This pic is not of the poster I won tonight...the one I won is ROLLED! Buwahaha!!  When I receive it, I'll post it again in New Acquisitions because -- I think it must be seen twice...at least...

Congratulations, Brude! Great poster and fun film!  :)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
Nice Brude,
 I noticed the Cast also has a Hildebrandt,any relation do you know??

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
I noticed the Cast also has a Hildebrandt,any relation do you know??

Yes, Stew, he is the son of Tim Hildebrandt, the painter behind the poster.  Sadly, Tim died in 2006, leaving twin brother (and fellow artistic collaborator) Greg -- alone.  Hopefully, son George has artistic talents like his father and uncle.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2010, 03:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the info Brude.

Stew
 :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2010, 07:53:02 AM »
By the way, this Sonis reprint of the LA Confidential international poster is all over the Internet - everybody is mistaking it for the original, including Emovie, LAMP, and several collectors.  (And Heritage has sold the video poster several times as an original also.)

Astoundingly, as someone pointed out to me, the Sonis reprint misspells "Danny Devito" - it has it "Dany"!!! 

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »
Mel you had me scrambling for my LAC Sonis grande...It has the correct spelling Danny...whew  8)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2010, 04:53:46 PM »
Now, I haven't posted this "unicorn" of mine on this thread yet, but I have searched for it for almost 10 years and the very few times it did appear, I was outbid.  Today...SUCCESS!

Painted by the late Tim Hildebrandt (of the Brothers Hildebrandt), this seldom-seen masterpiece is one of my all-time schlock-movie poster favorites, ranking right up there with EQUINOX, THE GREEN SLIME and GALAXY OF TERROR.  Outrageous graphics and brilliant colors command the attention, don't they?

This pic is not of the poster I won tonight...the one I won is ROLLED! Buwahaha!!  When I receive it, I'll post it again in New Acquisitions because -- I think it must be seen twice...at least...

Epic poster Ted, and right up my alley as well.  That is the curse, or maybe the blessing, of forums because you keep seeing more and more that you want!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Bruce

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
Mel wrote "By the way, this Sonis reprint of the LA Confidential international poster is all over the Internet - everybody is mistaking it for the original, including Emovie, LAMP, and several collectors.  (And Heritage has sold the video poster several times as an original also.)"

Ah, but when you pointed it out to us, we checked EVERY sale we had, and there was only the one time, and we e-mailed the buyer apologizing and refunding the price they paid including shipping (and told them to keep it), even though it was way past the time we paid the consignor.

I wonder if those other guys did ANY of the above, or if they just applied their regular "don't bother us" customer service?

woohoo  woohoo  woohoo  woohoo

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
I wonder if those other guys did ANY of the above, or if they just applied their regular "don't bother us" customer service?

In January of this year, I pointed out to Heritage that they were selling a video LA Confidential poster as an original.  Bruce Carteron personally wrote me back, stopped the sale, and Heritage hasn't sold any since.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »
Mel wrote "By the way, this Sonis reprint of the LA Confidential international poster is all over the Internet - everybody is mistaking it for the original, including Emovie, LAMP, and several collectors.  (And Heritage has sold the video poster several times as an original also.)"

Ah, but when you pointed it out to us, we checked EVERY sale we had, and there was only the one time, and we e-mailed the buyer apologizing and refunding the price they paid including shipping (and told them to keep it), even though it was way past the time we paid the consignor.

woohoo  woohoo  woohoo  woohoo

Bruce

Honesty always pays, Bruce, which is why you're #1, and the others... well, somewhere far behind.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »
Honesty always pays, Bruce, which is why you're #1, and the others... well, somewhere far behind.

T

Agree!. In the long run it will always win out. Too bad so many asshats are just looking for that quick buck by any means.

On the other hand. This Bruce guy is fueling an addiction that might be worse than heroin.  :P

Bruce

« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
"In January of this year, I pointed out to Heritage that they were selling a video LA Confidential poster as an original.  Bruce Carteron personally wrote me back, stopped the sale, and Heritage hasn't sold any since."

Hey, but how about those poor slobs who bought one of the several other repros you mentioned that they didn't stop. You think they found those guys and gave them their money back? Or just forgot all about it?

We can't say we never make any mistakes, just that we never make any INTENTIONAL ones, and whenever we find we made one, we track down the guys we made the mistake with, and we take ALL the loss, because, well just because that is the kind of guys we are!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. We are not the richest auctioneers, and we don't make zillions of dollars or sell the most expensive items, but there are some things more important than money.

Bruce

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2010, 01:51:34 AM »
BLADE RUNNER Japanese B0.

Unicorn, certainly applicable in this films case.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2010, 01:58:36 AM »
Dude, thats pretty sick!!  And here I thought I was finished buying for Blade Runner.  Now I need to find myself one of those.  B0's of any film are like hen's teeth.  I am going to need one to go with the B1 though  >:(

BLADE RUNNER Japanese B0.

Unicorn, certainly applicable in this films case.

Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2010, 02:35:50 AM »
I hear you Bro. I've been searching for a B1 on this film for what seems an age. Then this thing drops from left-field! I tell you, having admired your 40 x 60 collection, but having not owned a poster of this size before, I was not prepared for how overwhelming the image would be.

A stunning format indeed. Hens teeth alright!

Dude, thats pretty sick!!  And here I thought I was finished buying for Blade Runner.  Now I need to find myself one of those.  B0's of any film are like hen's teeth.  I am going to need one to go with the B1 though  >:(

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2010, 02:50:08 AM »
Haha, yeah, large format posters are some serious eye candy, but they are hard to store, frame, and display.  Awesome find though......what are the measurements on it??  39x60 or 41x58?
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2010, 04:05:53 AM »
41 x 58. (40 3/4 x 57 1/4 to be exact).

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »
Behold my beautiful international one sheet LA Confidential:

As you can see, it is utterly ruined.  I specifically asked the shipper to send only the poster (mounted to the backboard) but he sent the entire frame.  It smashed in transit.  Now my only option is to get the Australian one sheet or the US video poster.  This international poster won't pop up again for years.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2010, 09:04:30 AM »
Oh God, I feel for you Mel, that sux.

I hope you give him a neg. I dont have time for these kind of idiots so I now neg them immediately.

Glad there was no damage to the boobs

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
WTF?  You have got to be kidding.
What kind of an imbecile would do such a thing?
So sorry, Mel.  You should post his id so that we can stay far away from this jerk...