Author Topic: Tips for getting posters from Cinemas  (Read 4269 times)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
Tips for getting posters from Cinemas
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:26 AM »
I'm after a particular poster that I've only seen at one Cinema. I've exhausted all the avenues I'd normally travel so I've been considering asking the Cinema directly about getting the poster once they've finished with it. I wondered if there is a correct way about doing this as I'm expecting the standard reply of "they have to be returned" and I'm not sure how to answer this, even though I know it's untrue. I'm also considering bribery and theft, but am hoping I won't have to resort to this.

Joe

Re: Tips for getting posters from Cinemas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
don't theft, there is always a way to get a poster, a right way

for asking in cinema I always present me

Hi, I come from belgium and I collect movie posters, is it possible to buy posters from movies from last months ?

If you ask corretly they can give you some posters, I try in New York, Chicago, Boston,Washington, san francisco and also in france, London and germany, it works everywhere except in san fransisco

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
The problem is you are usually trying to pry the posters out of the hands of the managers who also collect or sell them.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
You're absolutely right. After working in a cinema for a good few years I know that to be true. I don't have a problem paying for them if they wish to sell, it's just what do you say when they tell you they have to return them when you know for a fact, that really isn't the case. I guess it depends on the individual, but I figured I'd ask to speak to the manager and take it from there.

Hotdog

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
What's the poster?

Hotdog

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
Oh, and the best way to get posters from theatres, is to be the managers best friend. Don't try ripping off the posters, I have had thieves arrested and in one case, beat the crap out of a poster thief. I have had thousands of dollars in damage done over the years by jackasses ripping apart poster cases to swipe a 50 cent poster. If the manager says he's gotta send it back, just leave it at that, sometimes the poster does have to be sent back or forwarded to another theatre. If the poster is really cool, the manager is planning on taking it home or one of the staff is claiming it. If you can't get it from the theatre, look on E Bay where you can probably pick it up fairly cheap. You can offer to buy it from the manager but, you'll pay way more for it then you would on E Bay.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
I think you should do what the robbers did at the EPT poker tournament in Berlin on Sunday.. 4 guys go in with handguns and a machette and take the prize money (in this case a Sandra Bullock poster)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Hotdog

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »
I'll admit, even the threat of a squirt gun and I'd be giving up the Sandra Bullock.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
I tried and didn't get anywhere with the guys at the cinema, all the usual stories, but I was very polite and said I understood. I guess it just gives me another poster to hunt down! Also I just wanted to point out that I was joking about stealing the poster, I guess it wasn't very clear in my original post.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
I had no idea it could potentially be that difficult to get posters directly from the cinemas, though with the potential "line up" of those that may want a certain poster, from the manager on down, I could see how being the low man/woman on the totem pole might garner a lot of "NOs" when asking.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »
Thing is, by the time they come off and out of the lightboxes, they will be mangled.

Modern posters have to be mint.  It is the unspoken law.

Better to get them from someone who gets them off the printers' machines.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
True..the vast majority of collectors want their moderns unscathed, undefiled and pure.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
I sent my wife into a cinema once to ask for me, as I thought she'd be more persuasive - she came out with a tube containing 2 x quads for 'Under the Skin'. I bought her dinner as a thank you.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
I was going to come out with some cheap comment about her getting the better deal, unless you bought her a Macky D's.

But looking at what this chap wants to sell his for, maybe it was a good deal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Under-The-Skin-Original-Uk-Quad-Poster-extremely-Rare-Cheapest-On-eBay-/252727361923?hash=item3ad7b98183:g:xwMAAOSwtUtXBQtd

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
Hehe, it was that specific poster I was after, they were quite hard to get for cheap on eBay at the time (and still are), so I was pleased. I can't remember where I took her for dinner, I may have even been really generous and sprung for Nando's ;)