Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 6498 times)

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
Hello!
« on: December 03, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Greetings to all! I have been collecting posters since I was six and never really thought much about what I was collecting, just that I liked the poster. I also collected Marvel Comics and a bunch of other items too but movie posters were always the best to me.

I have a small collection of 800+ posters, most of them from the 80's and 90's. I have a wide variety of lobby cards, show/play posters, 1 sided, 2 sided, subway, lenticular and vinyl.

I've been reading information from this site for years but never thought until recently to join up on the forums.

Thanks!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
 welcome1, DBB and enjoy the forum and all the good poster folks here, too.

And we look forward to seeing the posters you have collected over the years, too.   :D

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 11:18:27 PM »
 welcome2.gif to APF Digitalbeachbum
We look forward to getting to know you and the paper you collect.
Glad you finally signed on.
 cheers

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
welcome1, DBB and enjoy the forum and all the good poster folks here, too.

And we look forward to seeing the posters you have collected over the years, too.   :D

It's going to take a while for me to document them all. I usually would just roll them up, put them in a tube, then put them in my closet. When my wife and I got married she had no idea I was a collector. All my posters got put in under the stairs and they sat there for ten years.

Recently she wanted to build a dog cave under the stairs and I hadn't touched my posters in that ten years. I had to bring them all up to the spare room and when I got done moving them I realized, "crap, I have a lot of posters".

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »
Nice.  Can't wait to see them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 06:58:28 PM »
Wow! 800+ is not a small collection in my opinion. What movies/posters do you like?
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »
Wow! 800+ is not a small collection in my opinion. What movies/posters do you like?

I prefer sci-fiction/animation.

800 is small for me. I had more but lost many due to a water leak and my mother (who didn't like scantily clothed or nude women). My family are collectors. Baseball cards and other stuff. Cameras. License plates. Hummels. Cuckoo clocks. Books. Records. Sigh. The house I grew up in could have supplied the Smithsonian with plenty of stuff for display.

I miss collecting. I've been married for over a decade and the last posters I collected were right before I got married. I was never in it for the money. I just found great enjoyment shopping for really awesome posters which caught my eye.

You don't know how many times I've been tempted to purchase new ones. Now I have to sell them off and get rid of them. I haven't told my wife, but there are a core of them I'm going to keep, ones which are from my childhood. Too many memories are rolled up in those tubes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:04:52 PM by digitalbeachbum »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
Why do you need to sell them off?

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 11:00:19 PM »

DBB's posters are literally in the dog house

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:34:36 AM »
DBB's posters are literally in the dog house

I did see DBB's explanation of the understairs storage cubby, but cant they be stored somewhere else?  prayer.gif

Im just hoping its not because the other half said "they had to go," and that order is being complied with.  piratemel

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
Imagine this guy is DBB's wife, and the kangaroo are the posters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3998278/Man-fights-kangaroo-Australia-save-pet-dog.html

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 03:03:09 AM »
Welcome aboard DIGITAL BEACH BUM. Happy to have you here.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »

It is a mixture of reasons. Being married is one of them, but also they take up a lot of space. I also see how elders have passed only to leave behind objects of dispute and attachment. I believe it would be better to get rid of them, the ones I don't want or need any more. The core of 10-13 posters I'll keep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
It is a mixture of reasons. Being married is one of them, but also they take up a lot of space. I also see how elders have passed only to leave behind objects of dispute and attachment. I believe it would be better to get rid of them, the ones I don't want or need any more. The core of 10-13 posters I'll keep.

A word of advice.
Before you post these to the general public, see me first.
 cheers

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
Welcome DBB,

Sorry to hear that you have to part with a majority of your collection, but happy to hear you will be holding on to the ones that mean the most.

As Ted alluded to... what method/site will you be using to sell your collection? I think we'd all be interested in seeing the titles and/or images of the posters that you plan on moving when you eventually take the plunge to let them go.

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
I'm testing the waters seeing how it is Christmas. I've never tried to sell any. Never wanted to sell them.

I have a list of them written down, but not a lot of pictures. I never bothered to catalog them using digital media.

I've thought about a variety of sites to use but nothing definite. I won't use Craig's List.

I'll transcribe my list over, but it will take time for the pictures.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »
Sounds good, looking forward to it!

I'm testing the waters seeing how it is Christmas. I've never tried to sell any. Never wanted to sell them.

I have a list of them written down, but not a lot of pictures. I never bothered to catalog them using digital media.

I've thought about a variety of sites to use but nothing definite. I won't use Craig's List.

I'll transcribe my list over, but it will take time for the pictures.