Author Topic: Tyler Stout  (Read 169831 times)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Re: Tyler Stout
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
Actually Akira was fetching a few thousand dollars when it first hit the internet as being the first MMM print, and that only 180 were made of the standard and 80 variants, which is extremely low for a Stout run nowadays. The Thing standard had a print run of 210 and fetches $2000+ nowadays, so technically there are less Akira standards than are Thing standards out there. Both masterpieces in their own right, but Akira seems to be around the $800-$1000 price range and I don't see it coming down at all due to the low number, scarcity, and other factors. I kick myself for not buying The Thing last year for $500, now it's four times that amount and will probably continue to climb in value.

basic economic law of supply vs. demand

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »
I added a couple prints to my Stout collection this weekend...

Akira Variant

Assault on Precinct 13 Variant (released 2 days ago)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Assault on Precinct 13 Variant (released 2 days ago)

Seems kind of lazy for Stout, no?  Don't his posters usually recreate every key scene in the movie with somewhere between 50-75 hand drawn characters?   :P

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2011, 04:06:52 PM »
Agreed, it's definitely not his best, but I really like his style, so it works for me.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
Seems kind of lazy for Stout, no?  Don't his posters usually recreate every key scene in the movie with somewhere between 50-75 hand drawn characters?   :P

Hopefully, he is trying to expand his repertoire...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
New Stout:

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
My collection as of today:

T
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:36:15 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2011, 10:45:57 AM »
I see he did a Marty BTTF handbill, when is the full print coming!

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »

T

L

Bruce

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2011, 04:08:33 PM »
Am I the only one who looks at his work and sees Paint By Numbers pictures that are partially completed? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
Am I the only one who looks at his work and sees Paint By Numbers pictures that are partially completed? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bruce

I enjoy his work... But that is pretty funny Bruce!  laugh1 laugh1

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
That's funny, Bruce.  Maybe that's the appeal.  Puts us in touch with the inner child :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »

Bruce

Nope you're not.
Ves

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »

Bruce

Now THAT'S the kind of thoughtful, artistic analysis I come here for.  wynk

Every time I see one of Stout's prints I wonder what his electric bill runs.  I mean, the guy must use his lightbox 24 hours a day, right?
Which begs the question: what is worse...photoshopped movie posters or lightbox-traced tribute posters?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
I think it is interesting to say the least how polarizing Stout's work is, especially on this forum. 

Seems like his stuff is like any other niche in our collections...some might like a piece another might not, so what makes Stout any different?

Also, would love to see how fast Bruce would gobble up a Stout Blade Runner to auction, probably would have no i$$ue there...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »
Another Stout sells on Ebay.

UK listing only.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:52:33 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
Akira Variant: $1,750!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
Blade Runner Reg. is catching up!
My Personal Collection

poland626

« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2012, 11:57:50 PM »
Hi! This is my first post, be nice :P. This started back in 2008 when I was only 15/16 (I'm 19 now) and it did not at ALL come up again at any point in my life until this past week. I didn't understand collections or value back then on stuff like posters, only style. I saw the Blade Runner one and knowing myself as a huge movie fan, I liked it so much I bought it, then framed it. Then I saw the Hell Ride one and got that one too and framed it, but that posters not important, it's the Blade Runner one, I have the regular edition.

When I clicked and saw Blade Runner went for $1,800 I literally was in shocked I think for the first time (I'm YOUNG! give me slack :P) I have a $1,800 poster hanging in my view. I'm not saying i'm going to sell it, i'm not. I'm keeping it and if I need a rainy day fund someday, it can be it.

But holy crap, $1,800. I doubt my Hell Ride poster is worth just as much.

The thing is, I framed my posters, both of them, in glass and stuff, it cost like $500 I think. Does that add or devalue the value? I think because I'm keeping it in perfect condition it's worth more but I don't know.

Now, today, guess what? I didn't expect it but I won The Avengers lotto. I could've got the variant but I liked the color one more. I'm guessing, just based on what I can see, this will be a collectors item. Should I frame this one too or not given the answer to the previous question.

Sorry, i know I'm new and all and this is my first post but wow, I just couldn't wait to post all this. I

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
Framing your posters is not a problem as long as they are done right where they do not alter or damage the poster/print. The main thing is dry-mounting which is a process that is used to take out all the wrinkles which destroys any value of the poster. Other framing techniques of pinning or taping down the poster, trimming the poster to fit a specific frame or creasing the edge of it from tight framing can devalue the poster as well. The other thing you want to watch out for is hanging it in an area that gets a ton of sunlight that can fade the colors over time. You also want to make sure there is no moisture getting inside behind a glass frame creating a sweating effect.

Overall, enjoy them and I imagine the Avengers will look nice framed.

poland626

« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
The only thing the framing did was trim a bit, not all, like less than an inch of the white border, to fit. The signature and part of the border are still there keeping it in perfect condtion.

I also keep my blinds closed all day and the blade runner one is nowhere near any sunny windows. Yeah, thanks, I'm gonna frame that one when I get it and probably get rid of the hell ride on so I have space. That's mostly why I starting looking at prices and stuff. Thanks for the framing info

guest8

« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
Which one did they trim? That will effect the value and it should be disclosed when/if you ever sell it. If that is the only flaw it shouldnt hurt you too much.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
Welcome to APF, Poland.
That BLADE RUNNER print is a great piece of art.
You will find many like-minded print collectors here.  Have Fun!

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
A good framer should NOT be trimming the poster at all. If your copies were trimmed then yes they have been devalued. A Blade Runner variant that had a ton of water damage to it just sold for around $800 on ebay not long ago if I remember correctly. I would make sure you do NOT use the same framer for the Avengers. There is no reason the framer is not custom building the frame to fit the poster if you are paying $500 for one or two frames. Never make the poster fit the frame. I would look into www.spotlightdisplays.com you can give him the exact measurements of the poster and he will custom build the frame for you for a decent price.

It's not really necessary on a lot of the prints but on some of my high dollar ones that I display I went and bought a much higher quality of plexi to replace what comes with those frames that blocks out more UV rays, is thicker and looks a little nicer. But I'm kind of picky too. I've used his frames just the way the come and have had no real problems. I built two lightboxes with his frames as well. You can click on the link below to my poster website and go click on the Frames link to view some. Some are glass built frames and some are spotlight displays. All the Alamo Drafthouse are behind plexi. Once you are on the Frames page there is a link to the lightboxes I built, which is found in the paragraph explaining the page up top.

guest8

« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
That blade runner with all the damage has been relisted .. I think its "sold" like 3 times now :P I think anyone that buys that is assuming a restoration will bring it back to its former glory and if the restoration is successful (which thats not guaranteed) it would be worth it .. But its a heck of a gamble .. Which is prolly why 3 people have bought it and 3 people have backed out.