Author Topic: Tyler Stout  (Read 169827 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Tyler Stout
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »
This is my Stout collection so far... from the oldest to the newest.  Still missing a few, like Blade Runner variant and Big Trouble in Little China, but since I just got the 1st Warriors and The Lost Boys, I know it still can happen.

I know he has his detractors, but I personally love him and enjoy his evolution as an artist over the course of 3 years.

T
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:39:05 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »
...but since I just got the 1st Warriors...

You are welcome ;)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »
I know he has his detractors, but I personally love him and enjoy his evolution as an artist over the course of 3 years.

Those are very nice, but I don't see his evolution as an 'artist.'
When posted like you did, they all seem pretty similar in both composition and rendering.
Don't get me wrong, he's an extremely talented illustrator, but not as effective as the French and Italian masters that you also collect.
Just me humble opinion.
 hitself

guest8

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
Quit showing off T !! :P

My TS Own list is shorter but Im happy with it ..

Lost Boys
Robocop
Monster Squad (both ver)
Iron Man (reg & metal)
Star War Set (both ver)

My WTB list is ..
Thing (reg)
Mad Max (either ver)
LTROI (not sure which ver id prefer)
Kill Bill (either ver)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »
Those are very nice, but I don't see his evolution as an 'artist.'
When posted like you did, they all seem pretty similar in both composition and rendering.
Don't get me wrong, he's an extremely talented illustrator, but not as effective as the French and Italian masters that you also collect.
Just me humble opinion.
 hitself

To be fair, I don't think you can compare Tyler to Grinsson or Soubie.  Those are masters from a time past.  I showed a few of their pieces to Tyler and he was in awe.  He would probably learn from them, the same way they learned from their elders, and future generations will learn from Tyler.  I think it is more accurate to compare artists to others within their era of creation.  And as such, I really believe Tyler is among the best poster artists working today.  I'd put Ansin and Taylor in that group.  I was actually part of an email exchange between Tyler and Martin, and both of them really appreciate each other's style.  Martin actually told me that Tyler is the one who prompted him to get involved.  So as different as their art is, they still inspire each other.  But to compare them to past masters, at least IMHO, would be like comparing Banksy to Pollock to Warhol.  Different eras, different inspirations, different styles.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2011, 06:20:10 PM »
Quit showing off T !! :P

I don't think you can really "show off" prints.  They're available to all and not really something to be super proud of.  Plus, other people, like Chad, have better collections than me.  But I still think it's cool to see them all together.

It's interesting that you chose to put Monster Squad in there.  It is a nice print that is often overlooked.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »
I don't think you can really "show off" prints.  They're available to all and not really something to be super proud of.  Plus, other people, like Chad, have better collections than me.  But I still think it's cool to see them all together.

It's interesting that you chose to put Monster Squad in there.  It is a nice print that is often overlooked.

T

As soon as I heard Mondo was doing Monster Squad I knew I had to have it, it was one of my favorite movies when I was younger! I have both versions and I rotate them out in the same frame .. I had the variant on display 1st because it was the variant :P But after a while I pulled it out and the red just really pops and I think adds a whole new depth to the design .. :)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2011, 07:00:36 AM »
I have a Total Recall, Inglorious Basterds and Iron Man 2. Good quality prints from an artist with a pretty unique style - I understand that his posters are not to everyone's taste, but I think that cramming in of characters and detail works; when I spend time looking at one of his prints, it triggers lots of different individual memories of that film which remind me of moments I enjoyed and make me want to re-watch them. 

Perhaps not relevant to a discussion on his prints/posters, but when I have had correspondence with him in the past (I bought the 3 prints directly from him when he was popular, as oppose to his current mega-popularity where I imagine he is flooded with emails), he came across as a thoroughly good guy...so I'm really pleased for him that his work has garnered so many fans and he's doing so well. :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2011, 01:25:59 AM »
when I spend time looking at one of his prints, it triggers lots of different individual memories of that film which remind me of moments I enjoyed and make me want to re-watch them. 

Agreed.  Has the same effect on me.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:46 AM »
I had the 2 THING posters and gave them to a friend, did NOTHING for me, too crowded, and I don't like the traced art. My friend however loved them, and I think he framed them.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2011, 05:56:13 AM »
I understand that his posters are not to everyone's taste,

in fairness some of the stuff he has done is awesome, my only problem with stout is that i think he lacks imagination, id just like to see him do something different.. how many times can he create the same poster..?

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
Anyone win the Kill Bill Lottery tonight?

I was able to win the Variant   bed1

guest8

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2011, 08:25:42 AM »
I entered an missed out ... So I will probably never own a KB .. I like the prints but not enough to pay the full 2nd-ary market prices .. :(

Online ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »
struck out as well.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »
I got a lottery email stating that I was actually getting CJ's variant.

So that worked out for me...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
Nice Try Ben!! Of all the art prints I have this one is probably the one I will enjoy the most...just because it's T-Sizzle and it's Kill Bill.

Cj

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Anyone win the Kill Bill Lottery tonight?

I was able to win the Variant   bed1

You will have to turn it over to me, you know.  You might as well do it now. 

Fucker.  I never win those lotteries.  Take pity on me. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

guest8

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
I wonder how the heck they pick the winners .. I am 100% sure there is no foul play on Tylers part but I think its odd that on EB I see multiple people that already had KB prints win the lottery and are selling or trying to trade up .. Just seems odd ..

Also I want to say it again so there is no misunderstanding, I do NOT believe NOR am I suggesting that Tylers lottery is rigged in any way !! :)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
I wonder how the heck they pick the winners .. I am 100% sure there is no foul play on Tylers part but I think its odd that on EB I see multiple people that already had KB prints win the lottery and are selling or trying to trade up .. Just seems odd ..

Also I want to say it again so there is no misunderstanding, I do NOT believe NOR am I suggesting that Tylers lottery is rigged in any way !! :)

I think that someone has to be a VERY BIG douchebag to enter a lottery like this (for non-poster buddy purposes) when they already own a copy.

I didn't even enter because I would rather they go to people the liked the flicks far more than I do.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »
Will Stout sign any of his posters if you send it to him?  Somebody just told me he does (or at least he does for this particular person).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:08:56 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2011, 11:59:50 PM »
And on we go with the early bidding...   deadhorse

The Thing Regular

Robocop Metal
My Personal Collection

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2011, 07:04:16 AM »
Will Stout sign any of his posters if you send it to him?  Somebody just told me he does (or at least he does for this particular person).

email him, i sent him an email yesterday about something, and he emailed me back about 20 mins later... seems like a good guy to me..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
And on we go with the early bidding...   deadhorse

The Thing Regular

Robocop Metal

I'm an idiot.  I should have bought Robocop metal when I had a chance.  Check the prices on the above.  Tyler's stock suddenly went up...  Way up!
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2011, 09:47:58 PM »
I'm an idiot.  I should have bought Robocop metal when I had a chance.  Check the prices on the above.  Tyler's stock suddenly went up...  Way up!

Jesus!  I had the opportunity to buy one of these second hand for like $500, but I passed because it was going to be $150 to ship it.  I'm a dummy.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »
I bought my 2 Things for $40 and $60.  Sounds like a good investment.
My Personal Collection