Author Topic: Tyler Stout  (Read 167942 times)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Re: Tyler Stout
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 05:22:27 AM »
I got picked and went for the regular too. I agree that the GITD looks too flat without the red parts.

The quad's nice, but a bit too steep IMO.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »
I got my quad today, and my handbill was Clark.  If any of you are willing to part with yours, I might be willing to trade or buy it outright.

If you are an EBeaner, here is my collection: http://www.expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=22632  Not too many handbills, and I am not much of a trader, but looking for any Thing handbills you are willing to part with. 

Thanks,
John

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 04:29:05 AM »
i picked up the glow in the dark, thought it to be appropiate with this title

guest8

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 08:26:32 AM »
Hmm .. I had been considering picking up one of those LTROI posters .. But I dont know if I like the GID version .. It just seems to be lacking something with out the blood .. although I bet it looks awesome in the dark .. How often do we have a piece out in the daylight long enough to get the GID paint charged up then look at it in total darkness? ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks Stout stuff sucks?  I wouldn't pay $.05 for his posters, 'cept for Big Lebowski, but only because I like the movie.  

Of course, in fairness, half my collection pretty much sucks, so plenty of suckitude going round.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
Sometimes his stuff is brilliant, other times it's too busy

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks Stout stuff sucks?  I wouldn't pay $.05 for his posters...

AWESOME!!!  More for us :) 

Tyler is my fav, period (shit, I hope Martin doesn't read this :).  And a great pal to boot.  He's one of the few artists who really has a style of his own, and I cannot commend him more.

Mel, to each his own.  I wish there were more like u.  Then maybe I could find my Lost Boys and pay less than 1k for it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 12:36:40 AM »
I for one am more or less baffled by the art print market... I don't get why any of these posters should be valued more than a few hundred, let alone north of a grand.

Think of the actual theater paper you could get for $1500!? A Pulp Fiction lucky strike sold for $750 today on eBay (no to me). I bought my NM Diamonds are Forever quad for $375. Is that Thing poster really worth more than both combined?  Look at Bruce's incredible Halloween auction and ponder what a grand or more will get you. 

Sure, Stout can draw nicely... but the prices he has been getting lately are absurd.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
I for one am more or less baffled by the art print market... I don't get why any of these posters should be valued more than a few hundred, let alone north of a grand.

Think of the actual theater paper you could get for $1500!? A Pulp Fiction lucky strike sold for $750 today on eBay (no to me). I bought my NM Diamonds are Forever quad for $375. Is that Thing poster really worth more than both combined?  Look at Bruce's incredible Halloween auction and ponder what a grand or more will get you. 

Sure, Stout can draw nicely... but the prices he has been getting lately are absurd.

It's really all about quantity vs. demand. Stout said he never thought these things would be selling so high many years later. He as a lot of people know that many of his posters sat on Mondo's for weeks and sometimes months until they sold out. He's not getting the money it's the people who are reselling them that are getting their money back and more. Where he benefits is that it helps him sell out new releases.

How many Lucky Strikes posters are there compared to how many Stout Blade Runner Variants or Thing posters? I'm just fortunate that I have both and I don't have to worry about which will be worth more in the future because I plan to keep both providing nothing tragic happens in my life.

I think good artwork hits people like the older posters that were drawn up by artists for the movie studios. Plus a lot of people love the B movie posters and 70's exploitation posters because they are usually better than the movies they represent. This doesn't include everyone, because many people love the movie posters of today that are photoshoped and have the face of their favorite actor or actress taking up 90% of the poster.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I understand well what logistical factors will help drive up price... scarcity, quality of artwork, and most of all demand.  This is exactly what our hobby lives and dies on. 

What I don't understand is this particular demand side and what rational factors would lead someone to prioritize a Thing or Blade Runner tribute poster that was printed just 2 short years ago over say... the original 1951 Thing From Another World 1-sheet in unbacked VF- condition ($1195 at HA in July). Or any number of other vintage, studio-issued posters (Them! 1-sheet, the stunningly gorgeous Attack of the Crab Monsters 1-sheet, Out of the Past R53 1-sheet @ $1434, Rear Window insert @ $1314, Laura HS and African Queen 1-sheet @ $1195... all of which sold in the same auction).

Again, I think everyone one of us should have our heads examined for what we spend on little pieces of paper... however, these folks are at the lunatic fringe IMO.  As has been discussed, I think there is an element of OCD and collecting for completion's sake that has taken over the art print market.

Pot, Meet Kettle  ;D

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
Harry, I do not think most of the people paying those prices are movie poster collectors, but print collectors.  When looked at as a movie poster, the prices are most definitely ridiculous.  However, I think the lunacy is dampened somewhat when put in the art print context.  As an example, check out what Fairey and Emek's works are going for.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
Good point... but they are already approaching prices of some 50 year old prints from Warhol and Lichtenstein!  Madness!  I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that I won't be able to comprehend it and watch it continue to careen out of control.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
Hi T,

I agree that those seem overpriced, but I would add one thing.  Many of the recent high prices realized came from Tim Doyle's collection.  Tim ran Mondo for a while as these prints came out before Justin took over.  There might be some premium attached these prices because of the seller.

I am not ready to drop that kind of coin on these or any Mondo stuff, but at the moment, there are apparently enough buyers to drive the price up.  The print runs are limited, but is there enough demand to sustain that price.  Who knows?

John

Bowana

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Just came across this website today.

I'm another big fan of Tyler's work.  :D

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »

Welcome Bowana!, :) here`s the place to be for the latest Tyler news,,youre in good company.

Stew

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 04:02:10 PM »

Welcome Bowana!

Chad

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »
 welcome1 Bowana.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks Stout stuff sucks?  I wouldn't pay $.05 for his posters, 'cept for Big Lebowski, but only because I like the movie.  

Of course, in fairness, half my collection pretty much sucks, so plenty of suckitude going round.

I would say that he sucks, but I I'm with you in that his style is not within my tastes, even the Big Lebowski. The first one I've had an inkling of liking is the Let The Right One In that was just posted.  I can leave all the others.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bowana

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome folks!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2010, 07:43:39 PM »
We should place bets on how high these prints will go.  $910 on this one with 2:30 hours to go.  And it's not even the Variant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110620553889&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
Today... $1,300

2 years ago... $40

That's like... the best return on investment ever.  :o
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 10:28:55 PM »
Wow...12 bidders fought over that one.
Remarkable.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »
Well, after all is said and done, and even after his last impressive drop, "The Thing" remains my favorite of Tyler's composition.  There is something about it that, to me at least, is far superior to anything he's done.  And that's saying a lot, because I truly love the guy.  Maybe it's the coloring scheme.  For sure, the title is a big plus.

This is what I own thus far.  Unfortunately, I'm still missing Blade Runner Variant, Big Trouble in Little China and The Lost Boys and don't expect to get them anytime soon.

Chad, complete please.

T
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:25:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection