Author Topic: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession  (Read 40184 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2017, 02:54:05 AM »
Nice Girl With a Pearl Earring and Cinema Paradiso.   thumbsup.gif

Saturn 3... I vaguely remember this movie.  I have to see it again.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2017, 10:24:06 PM »
Saturn 3 wasn't a great film, but the villainous robot was memorable for its interesting look and overall creepiness. Farrah was ravishing as usual, but Douglas' bare wrinkled butt wasn't a highlight, although it did fit with the underlying theme of an older man's insecurities when involved with a much younger beauty like Fawcett. A cult film now, I guess. But watching Fawcett's smile light up the screen still touches me.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2017, 11:14:42 PM »
Yeah, I was never a huge fan of hers.  Too American, if that means anything.  Too baywatch.  Not enough character for my money.  It's those little flaws, you know.  I remember the robot, though.  I wonder what that says about me ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2017, 01:37:53 AM »
I missed her target teen-male audience by almost a generation, but who can forget that iconic poster or her with all that hair and the killer smile? I always felt a bit sorry for her, swept up in the fame of those Bay Watch good looks and body, always reaching to prove her acting abilities though never taken very seriously as hard a she tried. Then the tragic death. But I know what you mean by character. My real penchant was always for the slightly more exotic, probably from those early days of watching Debra Paget. I never had access to many French films (Bardot) back then, but about the same time was infatuated with Sophia Loren, Virna Lisi, Monica Vitti...I seem to have this thing for Italian women and directors.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2017, 01:45:16 AM »
The one performance that always stood out for me was the TV movie she made, called "The Burning Bed." Good story, with substance, and she showed what she had the potential to do, acting-wise.

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2017, 02:06:13 AM »
Then there was Extremities, an electrifying performance in an intense film that also showed her chops. But I think her personal life became a mess, and it was always hard not to be type-cast as a Charlie's Angel. Drug problems (I remember her wacked-out night on Letterman), and finally cancer. A flame that burns twice as bright...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2017, 02:10:31 AM »
"Extremities" was also excellent, DB, I totally agree with you here, too. And she wasnt some blonde "beach babe" in that one either.... FAR from it.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:01:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
A first for me - posters!

This one's not rare or expensive, but I just liked it. 28" x 40" Sold as NOS imported from England. It doesn't have folds. I don't like folds. And it goes with my Nosferatu lobby set.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
Fiery the Angels Fell: "Do you like our owl?", by Casey Callender. 24" x 36" metallic variant.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »
Oh my. First Contact: 2001:A Space Odyssey by Nick Runge. 24" x 36"

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »
Very nice, Dr. Bill.  thumbup

Really like the Blade Runner.  Still trying to figure out the abstract work in the upper left of it.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks, Neo. I wondered the same thing. The abstract in the upper left is a Chinese kanji ideogram seen in the film as a neon sign behind Deckard at the noodle bar. It supposedly means Origin, likely a hint at the question of Deckard's own origin.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:43:18 PM by Dr Bill »

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
Kubrick's Clockwork Orange, 8 3/4 x 11 1/2 French color stills.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2017, 11:53:18 PM »

The abstract in the upper left is a Chinese kanji ideogram seen in the film as a neon sign behind Deckard at the noodle bar. It supposedly means Origin, likely a hint at the question of Deckard's own origin.

Very interesting.

cheers

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2017, 12:57:04 AM »
The Great Beauty, a Paolo Sorrentino film, French 8" x 11 1/2" 8-card set.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2017, 01:08:08 AM »
Nice shots once again, DrBill. You may have already posted about this, but when you shoot your pics, are the LC laying flat? And do you use an external light source (or 2) to evenly light the cards?

Your pics are always so evenly lit, crisp and sharp clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2017, 01:10:19 AM »
Alien Resurrection, with Sigourney Weaver & Winona Ryder, French 8 1/4" x 11 1/2 " 10-card set.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:12:35 AM by Dr Bill »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »
I like those Alien cards.  Need to get me a set!!!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2017, 01:55:14 AM »
Nice shots once again, DrBill. You may have already posted about this, but when you shoot your pics, are the LC laying flat? And do you use an external light source (or 2) to evenly light the cards?

Your pics are always so evenly lit, crisp and sharp clap clap

Thanks - I copy the cards two ways.

(1) If they fit on my Epson XP-960 scanner (8 1/2 x 11), I scan them to 1200 dpi high resolution .tifs, then run them through Lightroom to get the full black/white dynamic range before exporting to sRGB jpgs.

(2) Larger cards/posters are photographed with a Canon 5D MK II full frame digital camera using either a 100mm f/2.8L or 24-70mm f/2.8L lens, depending on the size of the card or poster. The camera is mounted on a tripod for steadiness, and a single Canon 600 EX-RT flash with diffuser is bounced off the ceiling and surrounding whiteboards to attempt even lighting. I really need a second flash to do this right. Some lighting unevenness can be corrected in Lightroom (but it's a pain in the ass). The resulting in-camera raw files are imported into Lightroom along with a shot of my Passport Color Checker. This handy little tool is used to correct color balance and exposure due to white balance shifts from surrounding light reflections and camera sensor shifts (and can be seen in my post of the fake Aliens LC from tloce). The files are then exported from Lightroom again as sRGB jpgs.

Of course, the scanned cards are kept flat by the scanner lid. I photograph the rest as they lie on the floor with the camera suspended over them on a short boom. After lots of time adjusting the camera so it's level (leveling bubble on the tripod head helps), I use an f/8 or smaller aperture to get the broadest depth of field possible so the edges stay in focus if there's any slight curling. A high output flash is a big help, allowing a small apertures to get the proper exposure.

The LCs are easy - now that I've started doing posters, I really need a second flash for the best lighting.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2017, 01:58:01 AM »
Thanks - I copy the cards two ways.

(1) If they fit on my Epson XP-960 scanner (8 1/2 x 11), I scan them to 1200 dpi high resolution .tifs, then run them through Lightroom to get the full black/white dynamic range before exporting to sRGB jpgs.

(2) Larger cards/posters are photographed with a Canon 5D MK II full frame digital camera using either a 100mm f/2.8L or 24-70mm f/2.8L lens, depending on the size of the card or poster. The camera is mounted on a tripod for steadiness, and a single Canon 600 EX-RT flash with diffuser is bounced off the ceiling and surrounding whiteboards to attempt even lighting. I really need a second flash to do this right. Some lighting unevenness can be corrected in Lightroom (but it's a pain in the ass). The resulting in-camera raw files are imported into Lightroom along with a shot of my Passport Color Checker. This handy little tool is used to correct color balance and exposure due to white balance shifts from surrounding light reflections and camera sensor shifts (and can be seen in my post of the fake Aliens LC from tloce). The files are then exported from Lightroom again as sRGB jpgs.

Of course, the scanned cards are kept flat by the scanner lid. I photograph the rest as they lie on the floor with the camera suspended over them on a short boom. After lots of time adjusting the camera so it's level (leveling bubble on the tripod head helps), I use an f/8 or smaller aperture to get the broadest depth of field possible so the edges stay in focus if there's any slight curling. A high output flash is a big help, allowing a small apertures to get the proper exposure.

The LCs are easy - now that I've started doing posters, I really need a second flash for the best lighting.

Thanks for that breakdown and explanation, DrBill.

Perhaps getting stand alone key and fill lights might be another option, versus a 2nd flash?

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2017, 02:00:49 AM »
I like those Alien cards.  Need to get me a set!!!

T

I've been getting lots of French sets on ebay from"moera" in Paris. Free shipping too.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #246 on: June 04, 2017, 02:03:42 AM »
Thanks for that breakdown and explanation, DrBill.

Perhaps getting stand alone key and fill lights might be another option, versus a 2nd flash?

Yep - that's a much cheaper option, but the output can't match a good flash, and I could use a second unit for my other photography. I'd planned to get a second flash some time ago, but LCs and posters have been draining my budget.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #247 on: June 04, 2017, 05:21:19 PM »
Looks like it's working for you just fine, there, DrBill. And the pics prove it.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #248 on: June 04, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
Very nice
The Great Beauty, a Paolo Sorrentino film, French 8" x 11 1/2" 8-card set.

Alien Resurrection, with Sigourney Weaver & Winona Ryder, French 8 1/4" x 11 1/2 " 10-card set.

Really great portraits of these folks.

Sounds like an excellent photo setup, and the scanning of LCs sounds like quite the ticket.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
Thanks, Neo. I especially like the last Alien card with Weaver and Ryder. Too bad there aren't any with the xenomorphs.

Scanning the cards is much, much faster and easier than photographing them, and I think the quality may be a bit better. My best option may be to find a scanner that does 11x14 cards. I don't buy many posters, so photographing them isn't a big deal.