Author Topic: Signed or not to sign?  (Read 13004 times)

Offline Zagnut

• Beginner
Re: Signed or not to sign?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 01:28:04 AM »
A friend of mine told me a story a few years back...
Back in the early '90s, he and his wife paid $1,000 to attend a private signing of Star Wars actors in L.A.
According to him, -everyone- was there: Ford, Hamill, Fisher, Guinness, Cushing, etc.
And that price got you one autograph from each person.
So, he took his original Star Wars poster and had it signed by everyone.
He got it framed but later sold it to help pay bills.
And now he wishes he never did.
So it's possible to get a bunch of signatures on one item, but the entire Infinity Wars cast?  Dubious.
My mantra is: if I don't personally see it being signed, it's probably fake.
On occasion on ebay I'll see some limited edition Star Wars posters that were pre-signed and given to attendees of the premieres, but wonder if the stars actually did sign them.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »

On occasion on ebay I'll see some limited edition Star Wars posters that were pre-signed and given to attendees of the premieres, but wonder if the stars actually did sign them.

Those "premiere signed" gimmicks on eBay are forgeries.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8729.0.html

Interesting about your friend's story with the Star Wars cast way back when.  I wonder if there are any photos or stories around about the event.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 12:59:04 PM »
A compelling provenance needs to be established. I quite believe Zagnut's friend attended such an intriguing (presumably charitable) event and retaining publicity material and proof of attendance of such an occasion is important. If the seller of the item is the person who obtained the signatures their personal written account of their experience would assist in assessing their credibility.

Mark

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
A friend of mine told me a story a few years back...
Back in the early '90s, he and his wife paid $1,000 to attend a private signing of Star Wars actors in L.A.
According to him, -everyone- was there: Ford, Hamill, Fisher, Guinness, Cushing, etc.
And that price got you one autograph from each person.

Sarcastic me says - that's not so rare. Cast signed Star Wars posters are everywhere. This guy has multiples of them for only $155 each: https://www.awesomememorabilia.com/products/star-wars-hand-signed-poster?variant=14277425102921&utm_campaign=gs-2018-09-28&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

Real me says -I would love to see an invitation/brochure, photos, whatever from an event like this. Guinness especially, was a notoriously difficult signer and doubly hated signing Star Wars items as time went on. Don't think I've ever heard of an event (outside of perhaps something from 1977) where Guinness, Cushing, and Ford were all at the same place.

I think it's been said that most pieces with both Cushing and Guinness signatures originate from the Kurtz archive, and would think that if you could authenticate them with the rest of the cast on a real piece you would be looking at a minimum five-figure item.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2018, 04:46:55 AM »
Well, Cushing died in 94, and he was not in the best health up to that. He signed the odd letter, as for travelling to a signing like that in the early 90's, I think not. As for that Link Sean posted I can't see a legit signature of Cushing, Guinness, or Hamill, so you can bet they are all fakes..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »
I met a lot of Halloween '78 actors in Pasadena recently , i only wanted blue ballpoint sigs so as not to distract from the art  thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
I met a lot of Halloween '78 actors in Pasadena recently , i only wanted blue ballpoint sigs so as not to distract from the art  thumbsup.gif

Post some pics, Tang!  :D

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
Well, Cushing died in 94, and he was not in the best health up to that. He signed the odd letter, as for travelling to a signing like that in the early 90's, I think not. As for that Link Sean posted I can't see a legit signature of Cushing, Guinness, or Hamill, so you can bet they are all fakes..

Didn't see this reply until now, but I totally agree (which is why I labeled that part sarcastic me).
I think it is very doubtful such an event was put together in the 90s and was attended by Ford, Cushing, and Guiness - even if it ostensibly was for charity.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com