Author Topic: Signed or not to sign?  (Read 12995 times)

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
Signed or not to sign?
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:08:53 PM »
Does any one have an opinion on if it is better to get a signature on the poster or to keep it original? When my father collected baseball cards he was very young and would go to the Dodger and Yankee games. My family knew many of the players and he would get them signed. However getting them verified later was a long expensive process. I personally don't like to get things signed but occasionally for personal keepsakes I do it.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Signed or not to sign?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
if your going to keep it, and get done yourself, I reckon its good, some dont like sigs, I do, depending who and on what I might add.

I have a few signed posters, and I love them, but its also about the memory of how it became signed for me.

I probably wouldnt BUY a poster already signed.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:57:59 PM »
I'd get/keep them, only if they said "To Steve, all my love, Racquel"

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »
I might add, I prefer to have signed TO ME (like steve ;)
As then I never have any silly thought like selling ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:37:10 AM »

And things that are signed to someone (vs just an autograph) can, at times, sell for less, because of the added personalization.

-Jeff

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
And things that are signed to someone (vs just an autograph) can, at times, sell for less, because of the added personalization.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have some with an autograph of the actor others I have it more personalized. Those personal ones I'm keeping.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:14:22 AM »
yeah, good, its nice.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »

LOL - I have a bunch of Evil Dead posters signed by Bruce Campbell. They have things like "that's just pillow talk" and "give me some sugar". Some of them have my name on them, but those are never leaving my collection.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »

You maybe missing the point Jeff, as, as collectors, we don't care what it's worth, we're in it for the films, and the enjoyment of them.

Yes, a dedicated signature will be worth less than one that isn't, but who cares....  If I was buying a signature I wasn't getting in person, Personally I'd buy a dedicated one, as there's more chance it's legit. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
If I was buying a signature I wasn't getting in person, Personally I'd buy a dedicated one, as there's more chance it's legit.

I couldn't agree more.  I'll never buy anything signed, but if I fell on my head one day and changed my mind, it would have to be dedicated.  It is the only way I would give it the slightest chance of being authentic.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
You maybe missing the point Jeff, as, as collectors, we don't care what it's worth, we're in it for the films, and the enjoyment of them.

Yes, a dedicated signature will be worth less than one that isn't, but who cares....  If I was buying a signature I wasn't getting in person, Personally I'd buy a dedicated one, as there's more chance it's legit.

I wasnt missing the point, Paul. Look again in which board this topic was placed - the Valuation board. So it was in that context I was making the point about a sig's value, as an added bit of info.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:34:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »

[To be continued/updated....]

Offline digitalbeachbum

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
I've spent the last year going through my poster collection and most likely won't sell my signed posters. Some of them, like my Evil Dead posters, were signed by Bruce Campbell. I had to wait in line for four hours. Yes, four hours, in order to have him sign my posters, books and have picture taken with him on the Halloween Eve. I think  I was there until 2am because so many people showed up. All of them are too personal to me. My Evil Dead/Army of Darkness posters have "that's just pillow talk baby" and "give me some sugar" above his sig. I don't think I'll part with them for any amount of money.

Other posters I have, such as the Muhammad Ali & Micheal Jordan "Legends" poster is signed by both and while I didn't wait in line to get them to sign it, I see online that the same poster is selling for over $8000. Two of my favorite athletes. I don't think I'll part with that one either.

I have some other misc posters signed by stuff like The Blue Angels and the entire cast of some performances I've seen. I don't think I'll part with them either.

guest4955

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »

[To be continued/updated....]

Sigs added a few hundred bucks but consignor went to much effort to get them and should have kept it for himself or retailed it for a much higher price:

Comparable recent HA sales:

guest4955

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
I’m not trashing EMP but I would generally avoid paying big money for “signed” movie paper like this:

Why? I recently re-read VL’s autob where “she” confessed that she was getting 1,000+ fan letters a week in her prime during the early 40s. She originally tried to answer 10% but eventually just let the studio forger answer them all.

It’s expensive to buy the book ($100+) but quite fascinating! So she was a raging alcoholic in 1971 (which finished her by 1974) so she just gave extensive interviews to Donald Bain, who wrote every word and clever phrase (“even the female animal has an ego!”) Highlights:

- she was constantly sexually harassed and beat up aggressive casting producers and costars
- she was only 4’11”!
- she was “deliberately difficult” on set as a professional strategy, which eventually backfired
- she bought and flew a plane cross-country
- Harvard Lampoon deemed her as “Cinderella Cyclops” for her peek-a-boo hairdo (“everybody needs a gimmick” she wrote) and worst new actress of 1941, but she claimed her acting improved
- she was discovered as a 17yo extra walking across the studio parking lot; her “classic” beauty features quickly won her major parts

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:43 PM »
Could be worse : stood 6 hrs in Berlin but Streep never sgd before going in  faint2.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 02:54:55 AM »
Why? I recently re-read VL’s autob where “she” confessed that she was getting 1,000+ fan letters a week in her prime during the early 40s. She originally tried to answer 10% but eventually just let the studio forger answer them all.

And that's assuming that these autographs came from the studio at all and not from some guy happy to make a quick buck.  PASS.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 05:59:37 PM »
Well I've seen a few "red carpet" premiere events on video and the actors (even Tom Cruise) are indeed signing lotsa stuff for extended periods, so maybe this is legit, but the seller used a generic photo of a star as dubious "proof":

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »
Most cast sgd posters are fake (actors usually never signs at after parties for the cast) , it's hell to get them all (then you have those film posters were almost everyone is gone , like 007)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:51:44 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »
That Avengers poster is such a load of (where is the crap emoji?)

More importantly, I have always failed to understand why anyone would want a poster not signed IN PERSON to them.  1) You'll never know if the signatures are real (despite them being authenticated  Doh.gif) and 2) you were not even there in the first place.  If 10 year old Joe meets Josh Brolin and Brolin signs his Avengers poster with "To Joe, destiny still arrives, signed Josh (aka Thanos)," I get it.  Joe can be the cool kid at school for a micro second.  Otherwise, what's the point? 

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
Most cast sgd posters are fake (actors usually never signs at after parties for the cast) , it's hell to get them all.............

Totally agree. That Avengers poster would have smudged signatures and serious creases throughout if just a quarter of the signatures had been genuinely obtained in the way described. Here's my only cast-signed Lord of the Rings one sheet - from the Estate of Sir Christopher Lee Deceased.

Mark

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Totally agree. That Avengers poster would have smudged signatures and serious creases throughout if just a quarter of the signatures had been genuinely obtained in the way described. Here's my only cast-signed Lord of the Rings one sheet - from the Estate of Sir Christopher Lee Deceased.

Mark

Now that is awesome!
-Brian

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 04:23:12 PM »
Unfortunately, with all of the fakes and forgeries out there, unless one was there to obtain the signatures him- or herself, there can always be the question as to whether the autographs on any given poster are truly legitimate or not.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »
I have a Mad Max poster which George Miller, a family friend, signed to me in person years ago and an Almost Famous poster signed by the entire cast.  I got it from DreamWorks at the time I was working there, so I trust its authenticity.  That's it and that will always be it for me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 11:38:37 PM »
For what it's worth, I would prefer an unsigned poster in most cases.  I think of an autograph as a collectable with its own value.  Thus, a poster with this added "collectable" feature could be valued higher.  Since I don't collect autographs, I would not want to pay more for a poster with this added "collectable" feature.  So it's mostly about the money.  But then there's authentication.  A phony autograph could really hurt the value of an otherwise nice poster.  So I don't take the risk.  I avoid signed posters when possible.