Author Topic: Arthur  (Read 8953 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Arthur
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:42:26 AM »
They're remaking Arthur with Russell Brand?

Hollywood, is that really ""?

P.S.  You can all thank me for putting that cheeseball song in your head for the rest of the day  ;)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Arthur
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »
Another remake of a poor original.... Hollywood seem to be phoning in scripts nowadays.

Stew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
A poor original?  Are you crazy, Stew.  Arthur is a comedy classic.  Dudley Moore was a perfect fit,. so was Sr.. John Gielgud as Hobson (he also won an Academy Award for the role), and I would even go as far as to mention the Christopher Cross theme song (.  And Liza, of course.  I love Arthur and I hate Brand. 

A sad day indeed!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »
Yup sorry T i really thought Arthur was at best average...10 was much funnier. Gielguid was as alwyas the only saving grace in it. Liza... i wont even go there or we would be here all day,

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »
Yeah, the original Arthur is a good movie.  My point is that Hollywood has apparently run of creative ideas and is unnecessarily remaking perfectly fine originals like Arthur, Footloose, Psycho, Pink Panther, King Kong, etc.   We need more studios like Pixar that develop "new classics" (although Pixar has been getting sequelitis too).

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »
Wether or not you thought Arthur was a good movie( I thought it was very good) it is just another example of what kind of fucktards are running Hollywood today.

No idea. No imagination. No nothing...well...except for plenty of gutless lowlife piece of shit fucktards.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:08:49 PM »
It's not as simple as that, guys.  There is a lot of imagination in Hollywood, but very little people willing to take a risk.  Without the likes of Cameron and Nolan, neither Avatar nor Inception would have ever been made.  It's only because they had Titanic and Dark Knight under their belts that they were allowed to get a green light.  There are tons of talented people waiting in their shadows for a chance to express themselves.  Alas, producers are extremely cautious these days.  Because of the implosion of entertainment in the past 20 years, cinema has to compete to exist, which means that negative cost is usually smaller than P&A.  It cost a lot of money to produce a film, and even more to let you know about that film.  This competitiveness has pretty much destroyed independent cinema.  So naturally, producers will turn to known properties, such as Arthur, were the risk is sustained.  There is always a risk in this industry, but much less if you take a subject matter that is already in our collective consciousness.  So don't crush artists, because believe me, they are dying to allow you a glimpse into their brains.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
No idea. No imagination. No nothing...well...except for plenty of gutless lowlife piece of shit fucktards.

C'mon, Zorba....don't sugar coat it...tell us how you really feel...   ;)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
C'mon, Zorba....don't sugar coat it...tell us how you really feel...   ;)

laugh1...Just makes me cranky when they remake something they CANT make better.

T...I know why they do it...Still sickening to see.

Freefall

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:21:16 PM »
It's not as simple as that, guys.  There is a lot of imagination in Hollywood, but very little people willing to take a risk.  Without the likes of Cameron and Nolan, neither Avatar nor Inception would have ever been made.  It's only because they had Titanic and Dark Knight under their belts that they were allowed to get a green light.  There are tons of talented people waiting in their shadows for a chance to express themselves.  Alas, producers are extremely cautious these days.  Because of the implosion of entertainment in the past 20 years, cinema has to compete to exist, which means that negative cost is usually smaller than P&A.  It cost a lot of money to produce a film, and even more to let you know about that film.  This competitiveness has pretty much destroyed independent cinema.  So naturally, producers will turn to known properties, such as Arthur, were the risk is sustained.  There is always a risk in this industry, but much less if you take a subject matter that is already in our collective consciousness.  So don't crush artists, because believe me, they are dying to allow you a glimpse into their brains.

T

What he said.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
I just got these in last week, and I must say of all the remakes, this poster about makes me want to throw the whole batch in the trash.

A drunken Dudley Moore was a thing to behold. I will be the first on the "hate Liza Minnelli" band wagon, so other than Garner filling that role, I don't see much I can get behind on this one.

I am not a fan of Brand, and him landing something like Katy Perry makes it even more sickening.

By the way is it only me that insists Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel must be related!?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:16:11 PM by ddilts399 »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
By the way is it only me that insists Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel must be related!?

Nope.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:14:43 AM »
At some point Hollywood will remake every movie.  They've been doing it since the beginning of pictures (ROBIN HOOD, BEN-HUR, FRANKENSTEIN), and will continue to do so for eternity.  That being said, I find Brand incredibly unfunny and wouldn't see this version if you paid me

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
At some point Hollywood will remake every movie.  They've been doing it since the beginning of pictures (ROBIN HOOD, BEN-HUR, FRANKENSTEIN), and will continue to do so for eternity.  That being said, I find Brand incredibly unfunny and wouldn't see this version if you paid me

Ditto.  Fuck Brand.  mesmrized

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »
I think they are using Brand to appeal to the largest cinema going audience, the Teenage girl's. And they are welcome to him.

Arthur wasn't to bad a film, I think the Brits have it in for Dudley as it seemed like he sold out. Unlike the much funnier Peter Cook.   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
I would like to challenge Russell Brand to a fight. Him and Michael Douglas....
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.