Author Topic: November 2016  (Read 11469 times)

Offline kobun37

• Beginner
November 2016
« on: November 02, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »
Got not one but two of my holy grails. Here they are from the auction photos in their crappy store frames.

They are wrinkled from being stuck in a too-small frame for almost 30 years. Is backing the only way to get the wrinkles out?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Re: November 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
Congrats on snagging 2 of your holy grails, kobun37! clap clap

Depending how bad the wrinkles are, once you remove them from the frames, you could also lay them between pieces of board or foam core and the place weight (books) evenly spaced. Between some time and the weight/wait, it could make the appearance of the creases much less noticeable and flatten them considerably.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:21:09 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »
Congrats on those wins, K.  Regardless of condition, them things are probably mighty rare, eh?

That's unfortunate about the wrinkling.  Are those the original CEC frames from way back when?  Linen backing would likely resolve the issue.  Some restorers have a professional flattening method that may be a good alternative.  And as Jeff said, you could try a flattening method yourself, although it may take a considerable amount of time, several months at least, depending on how badly wrinkled they are.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:05:50 PM »
Someone posted a paper conservation video from the Smithsonian a while back -- you may want to check it out. Basically, they raised the humidity of the paper, sandwiched it between holytex and blotting paper, and then pressed it flat under heavy weight.

Offline kobun37

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:21:05 PM »
Thanks. I'll try to press them first. With the holidays coming up it will be awhile before I can get them framed properly anyway. I want the frames to match the existing frame I have for Crocodile Chuckee.

Congrats on those wins, K.  Regardless of condition, them things are probably mighty rare, eh?

That's unfortunate about the wrinkling.  Are those the original CEC frames from way back when?  Linen backing would likely resolve the issue.  Some restorers have a professional flattening method that may be a good alternative.  And as Jeff said, you could try a flattening method yourself, although it may take a considerable amount of time, several months at least, depending on how badly wrinkled they are.

Yes, these are the original frames. They were shipped to the stores like this and the frames are pretty cheap. They were more concerned about keeping costs down than preserving the artwork because they could always just send out another one. The frame itself is gold-coated plastic with really thin plastic "glass" and cardboard backing. I'm not even sure if it's real plexi. You can see it has cracked and a piece about 2"x2" has fallen out on the top left of the Indiana Jowls poster. They made two separate series of movie parody posters. There were a total of 11, six in 1988 and five in 1990. Indiana Jowls is from the first series, Beaglejuice from the second. There were around 300 stores at the time, so I believe the print run was less than 500 for each. They were never offered for sale and the company is super anal about destroying store decorations so they are extremely rare. The ones that survived came from employees who thought they were cool and took them home.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »
Thanks. I'll try to press them first. With the holidays coming up it will be awhile before I can get them framed properly anyway. I want the frames to match the existing frame I have for Crocodile Chuckee.

Yes, these are the original frames. They were shipped to the stores like this and the frames are pretty cheap. They were more concerned about keeping costs down than preserving the artwork because they could always just send out another one. The frame itself is gold-coated plastic with really thin plastic "glass" and cardboard backing. I'm not even sure if it's real plexi. You can see it has cracked and a piece about 2"x2" has fallen out on the top left of the Indiana Jowls poster. They made two separate series of movie parody posters. There were a total of 11, six in 1988 and five in 1990. Indiana Jowls is from the first series, Beaglejuice from the second. There were around 300 stores at the time, so I believe the print run was less than 500 for each. They were never offered for sale and the company is super anal about destroying store decorations so they are extremely rare. The ones that survived came from employees who thought they were cool and took them home.

That is really impressive, that they're in the original frames, and that they survived in as good of condition as they are!  Yeah, the cheap acrylic is known to have a lot of issues over time, and depending on conditions, even brand name Plexiglass may have not withstood that long.  Since there was a cardboard backing, did you notice if the posters are brittle, or any staining from the cardboard?

By the way, great info.  Are you going to try to pick up all 16 movie parody posters?

Offline kobun37

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 01:54:37 AM »
That is really impressive, that they're in the original frames, and that they survived in as good of condition as they are!  Yeah, the cheap acrylic is known to have a lot of issues over time, and depending on conditions, even brand name Plexiglass may have not withstood that long.  Since there was a cardboard backing, did you notice if the posters are brittle, or any staining from the cardboard?

By the way, great info.  Are you going to try to pick up all 16 movie parody posters?

I didn't notice any brittleness of the paper, but it has yellowed some. I'm not sure if that is from the cardboard or from sunlight exposure. It's not super noticeable except on the white parts. Beaglejuice doesn't have a lot of bright white except for the lettering, and Indiana Jowls is supposed to look like an old poster anyway. LOL

I'm probably going to hold off on getting the others for now. I don't have a lot of wall space left, and the three that I have are the ones I really wanted. I enjoyed all the Indy movies (even the last one everyone loves to hate) and Beetlejuice is one of my all time favorite films. I like the posters, like the posters they're based off of and like the movies they came from. Trifecta!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 02:20:20 AM »
Sounds like those posters are in good shape.  I was just asking about the brittleness, etc., as cardboard is highly acidic, and sometimes posters stored against cardboard can benefit from deacidification and linen backing. 

The trifecta!  Right on.  cool1

Well, if you do pick up any more, it would be great if you share some photos here.  Always cool to see and hear about the fun CEC stuff.

Offline kobun37

• Beginner
Re: November 2016
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 06:03:53 AM »
Here are a few of the others I passed on. First up, a copy of the poster I had previously. You can really see how bad the wrinkling is on this one.

The last one is the one that started it all. I think the seller was putting them up one at a time, starting with Chuck to the Future and then Indiana Jowls. A friend of mine got CttF and posted it on his Instagram account. I didn't look at Instagram for a few days, and when I saw the post it had over 200 likes on it. I was like, "Huh. I wonder if they have any more. Better go che... OMG!BUYITNOW!BUYITNOW!BUYITNOW!" I've only seen Indiana Jowls up for auction once, and that was for one with water damage. It went for about $300 with me and three other people trying to snipe it. I guess this time everyone went and looked when he first posted and there wasn't anything else up. After I paid I messaged the seller asking if they had any more and mentioned I was looking for Beaglejuice. They said they would be posting it shortly and I asked them to message me when they put it up. About five minutes later it was mine.  thumbsup.gif

Here's a couple for those of you who remember Showbiz Pizza Place instead.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:01:33 PM by erik1925 »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 06:22:42 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it is advertising a fun fair..

Been after one for quite some time, so very pleased with it.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »
That is really something special, Paul.
What year is it from?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »
It's 30's Ted. Most likely done for several years as it was a stock poster...  It's unusual to get one with a famous caractor on, Popeye being created in 1927...

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
Actually, Popeye debuted in 1929 in the comic strip, and was not really the character he later became (and his animated debut was four years off). He became a star in the strip in 1933, also the year his first cartoon appeared (he was the guest star in a Betty Boop cartoon).
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 01:23:47 AM »
Yes, I've just checked my Tee-shirt, it is 1929, was just coming to alter it. Thanks Bruce.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 06:54:35 AM »
The early Max and Dave Fleischer Popeye 'toons are still some of my favorites.