Author Topic: Deadly Spawn Reprint on Ebay  (Read 4917 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Deadly Spawn Reprint on Ebay
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »
As I mentioned in the Unicorn thread, I had finally found a rolled copy of DEADY SPAWN, a poster I have wanted for a long time.  I won the auction and -- after two weeks of waiting without receiving the poster -- a second one, from another seller appeared on Ebay.  This second poster was folded and I decided to bid on it as insurance in case the rolled one that I had won was lost in the mail.  The folded poster arrived last week and the rolled one arrived today.

The folded original measures 25x39, while the rolled 'reprint' version is 22 1/2 x 35 1/2, quite a bit smaller.  The paper is different, the image is cropped, the colors are different and the 21st Century logo is not as clear on the reprint.  I took pics, the first being the folded original, the second being the rolled reprint placed over the original to show the size difference.

Now, I wouldn't normally make this kind of a post too hastily.  I would prefer to take it up with the dealer first, but since the seller that I bought the rolled reprint from has another DEADLY SPAWN ending in 15 hours, I wanted to make sure that all APF members interested in this poster save their money for the real deal.

I will update when I hear back from the seller.

Here is the link to his post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEADLY-SPAWN-1-SHEET-83-POSTER-ALIEN-FANGORIA-VERY-RARE-/140441798306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

and here is the original folded 25x39...

and here is the 22 1/2 x 35 1/2 reprint set over the original...

spacething

Re: Deadly Spawn Reprint on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:49:15 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Brude.  I love the Deadly Spawn.  It's a good thing you grabbed that folded one.  Just goes to show you that anything can be reprinted.  I have authenticity questions about some early posters I picked up on ebay when I first started collecting.  Some people I asked said "Well, who would reprint that? Do you really think they would make any money from it?"  My response - "Hellz yeah!"

OT - I met Ted Bohus at the Chiller Convention last year.  VERY, VERY cool dude.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
I am always suspicious when an older poster is offered rolled.  The dealer told me that he received this poster directly from the producer of the film so, I figured that explained the rolled condition. He has asked me to return it for a full refund, which I am doing today.
Live and learn, eh?

Spacething, there is a wealth of knowledge here at APF.  If you have authenticity questions, APF's many collectors and dealers can probably answer them.  Post away!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
Thanks for posting this info Brude!
Very helpful!

Armin

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »
My pleasure, Armin.  I have shipped the poster back.  Seller has received it and promised refund 2 days ago.  No refund yet, so I opened a case against him.
He is also selling Basil Gogos Famous Monsters posters which I suspect are "prints" and not original issues either.  Beware.

spacething

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:36:04 AM »

Brude - I recently spoke to the director Ted Bohus and asked him if he had any DEADLY SPAWN posters left. He said he had a few left and would sell me one.  Bohus said that they were theatrical one-sheets from 1983. I asked him to email me the dimensions. He was kind enough to measure them up and, sure enough, they measure 39 x 25.  

So I just wanted to doubly confirm what you posted about the DEADLY SPAWN poster.  And also congratulate you on some outstanding detective work!  :)

Now we know to steer clear of ebay seller graves1975

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:34 AM »
Good for you, spacething.
Yes, 39x25 are the numbers you're looking for.
Great poster!