Author Topic: Why don't women collect posters?  (Read 65324 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Why don't women collect posters?
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »
That Belafonte song is jammin!

Added to our 60s Christmas party playlist.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2014, 01:33:16 AM »
Belafonte at Carnegie Hall is one of the great albums.

Any 60s party should have some Ken Nordine...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HLRIS1NvU4k" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HLRIS1NvU4k</a>

Offline GemGem

• Hobbyist
    • GemGem movie posters
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Just found this thread and want to add my thoughts.

I collect posters first and foremost because I am a film addict. Always have been, always will. Film is my life and have amassed a huge DVD/Bluray collection too (is this considered 'a male past-time' too???)

Secondly, I studied graphic design and art history so the two fuses very well.

It's true that I only seem to collect what you guys may consider more 'feminine' - french nouvelle vague, artwork over photos etc... but that's not always the case as I also have Brazil and Blade Runner because they are my favourite films.

I started out just collecting loads of cheap posters, like most of you did, but I've now become very selective and have decided to only buy one or two 'good' posters a year because I just don't want to own loads of posters. Maybe that's the difference. Women are more selective? But it's true, I do get weird reactions when I tell people i collect film posters but more due the fact that they cost a lot rather than being a woman.

My boyfriend likes my passion for posters but he doesn't understand why I collect them (though Brazil is his favourite film so loves my Quad and wants that hung as soon as i move in!) however he doesn't want many to be framed so my collecting has to be limited now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:17:33 PM by GemGem »
Roll, roll, roll, Rollergirl!!!

Mirosae

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2015, 07:07:49 AM »
True Story
A friend came over to visit  and a conversation went like this.

''I always knew your place will look like this Rosa''

''What do you mean'' said I

''You were born to collect film posters girl''

''Was I?''

''Yeah. you remember, when you made me queue up for over 4 hours to get you that stupid Valentino poster….just outside the old cinema'' ‘’It was raining like cats and dogs’’

''It wasn’t a poster, it was print''

''A what?''

''A print''

''Do you still have it?’’ that poster''

''No, sorry"

''Why not?’’

"It was a print’’

"A what?’’

''Never mind, leave it’’

girly2.gif

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »
 laugh1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
The evolution of a collector!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »
A print and Rosa do not mix.  nono

Someone once said to me:

"If you want perfect, go buy a PRINT!"

;D

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »

Someone once said to me:

;D

he he he...very wise owl  ;)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »

Someone once said to me:

;D

Ha, I had this same discussion with my sister.  She found out (aka asked) how much I had spent on some of my posters, and she was like, "Ummmm you can get the same image on ebay for like 10 bucks!?!?!"  I tried to explain to her about how that's not the point, it's about owning something from when the film was released and the history of the piece, and how it adds infinitely to the specialness of the image...She didn't get it.  Oh well, the hobby isn't for everyone.  Thank god.  

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »
Ha, I had this same discussion with my sister.  She found out (aka asked) how much I had spent on some of my posters, and she was like, "Ummmm you can get the same image on ebay for like 10 bucks!?!?!"  I tried to explain to her about how that's not the point, it's about owning something from when the film was released and the history of the piece, and how it adds infinitely to the specialness of the image...She didn't get it.  Oh well, the hobby isn't for everyone.  Thank god.  

I think if many that we all know, male or female, knew what is spent on pieces of printed paper, many would all  faint2.gif or  crying or look like  mesmrized.

Its like any hobby.. those that arent in or "into" it will shrug and may look dumbfounded. And, as you said, Brian, it isn't for everyone.... thank god.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
Yes, it is a funny hobby... Not just about money spent.. but also time spent..researching, bidding, biting nails, manicures -did I mention biting nails.. flopping bidding  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
Yes, it is a funny hobby... Not just about money spent.. but also time spent..researching, bidding, biting nails, manicures -did I mention biting nails.. flopping bidding  ;D

Don't forget the pedi, too.

;D

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
Oh well, the hobby isn't for everyone.  Thank god.  

Hey, I actually want the whole world to suddenly get into poster collecting.

...on the day I'm ready to liquidate :)
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:13 AM »
Now that's wise man talking ;)

Mirosae

« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2015, 03:55:09 AM »

Mirosae

« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
Salute my great-great grand mother!  :P

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »
^ haha, another lady who has fallen for a handsome man on a poster  and must get her hands all over it.  thumbsup.gif

What a funny poster... Is it real?!

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
My partner Mahtab (a very nice lady) is an avid poster collector.  She was the one who got me started back in 1993.  To return the favor, I introduced her to the Internet as a marketing tool.  Her gift to me has had the greater impact, because I still love my posters while Mahtab hates computers and the Internet.  We used to go to events like Cinevent together, but now she's too busy; I don't go very often either because I've usually got something else to do.  Anyway I've never seen anybody at Cinevent with any Arabic or Persian posters and that's where most of my poster money goes these days.  Mahtab does not know any Arabic but Persian is her native language so she's grown up on movies in Persian. Her poster collecting never involves Iranian posters, even though she has excellent ideas about which Iranian posters are the most desirable ones.  She's an avid Audrey Hepburn fan and has a great collection of Audrey posters. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
My partner Mahtab (a very nice lady) is an avid poster collector.  She was the one who got me started back in 1993.  To return the favor, I introduced her to the Internet as a marketing tool.  Her gift to me has had the greater impact, because I still love my posters while Mahtab hates computers and the Internet.  We used to go to events like Cinevent together, but now she's too busy; I don't go very often either because I've usually got something else to do.  Anyway I've never seen anybody at Cinevent with any Arabic or Persian posters and that's where most of my poster money goes these days.  Mahtab does not know any Arabic but Persian is her native language so she's grown up on movies in Persian. Her poster collecting never involves Iranian posters, even though she has excellent ideas about which Iranian posters are the most desirable ones.  She's an avid Audrey Hepburn fan and has a great collection of Audrey posters.  

Mahtab sounds like a knowledgeable and avid collector, too, John. And to know that she is the one that got you involved in posters all those years ago.

It would be great to see what AH posters she has, as well as from which countries. It certainly sounds like she knows her stuff and what she likes. You should get to her to sign up here! I'm thinking she would also have lots of useful information to share.  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:39:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2015, 06:46:54 PM »
^ haha, another lady who has fallen for a handsome man on a poster  and must get her hands all over it.  thumbsup.gif

What a funny poster... Is it real?!

It is real and coming for auction soon, got it from HA !

;)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2015, 12:37:21 AM »
It is real and coming for auction soon, got it from HA !

;)

GO FOR IT!!!  That seems like a "MUST HAVE" for you. Fingers crossed for you that you get it.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Mirosae

« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2015, 05:35:36 AM »
Ahhh agree.... there are so many " Must Haves" in that auction and 8n the forthcoming Morris...this year is exhausting... :P

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »
It's a man thing that's why. Aren't women more interested in collecting babies!!

Seriously though, I am sure there are a lot of women collecting babies (opps sorry I meant poster art) they are perhaps not so verbal or obssesive about it. I know there are lots of women who colect art posters (screen prints and the like as its probably more trendy to do that rather than dusty old movie posters!).

Mirosae

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2015, 07:06:22 AM »
It's a man thing that's why. Aren't women more interested in collecting babies!!

Seriously though, I am sure there are a lot of women collecting babies (opps sorry I meant poster art) they are perhaps not so verbal or obssesive about it. I know there are lots of women who colect art posters (screen prints and the like as its probably more trendy to do that rather than dusty old movie posters!).

I personally don't see the funny side of your post, rather sexist really. And women do collect vintage posters "dusty old ones" too.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2015, 07:50:40 AM »
Don't worry Rosa, not funny to me either. I'll just assume he isn't aware there are serious women collectors here that read this thread. Since you joined you've had a stronger interest in posters than I have had.

Just ignore. Probably everyone here have read posts that rub them up the wrong way. Take Ted for example  :P

And besides, I know I set pretty high standards in the funny department, some people still need to find their legs first