Author Topic: Hi There!  (Read 4998 times)

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
Hi There!
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I've always been a fan of posters in general. But I would say mostly travel posters and movie posters interest me the most. I'm also a big Star Wars fan and a big fan of the original trilogy. Even more specifically, I feel myself gravitating towards old school Star Wars posters. (Seeing the artwork in the old Hungarian posters or the Japanese ROTJ with just C-3PO & R2D2 is so super cool! I wish to find them and others to hang on my wall, I would stare at them for hours...).
Now though I've been a fan of posters my whole life, I've never really had any money to buy posters. I've only only really been able to do so this past year. So with that said, I've been doing what probably most newbie's do and I started to scour the web for information. And in doing so, I find myself being very nervous about getting into collecting. It's really scary to think how many fake posters are out there! (I say that because of course I have expensive taste. I come to find out that Star Wars posters are really expensive AND faked a lot. Why couldn't I be a big fan of the Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy instead?)
I say to myself, "I just took the time to save up $1,000 only to find out it's a fake?! I REALLY want to do this, but how do I educate myself without getting burned?" Even if I did see a poster that I liked AND I even knew what to look for, I still have to go by JUST what's on the computer screen. I can't see it or touch it. So if I can't afford to take the hit on getting bogus posters, how do I tell the difference between fake and real? How do I collect without getting burned?" These kind of questions pop up in my mind a lot. So I've been trying to find stuff on the net to educate myself. During that time, I THANKFULLY came across this forum. I'm really looking forward to trying to learn from others on here for sure....

With that said, of my first four posters of my collection, I framed two.
-The first is (what I think is) the easiest Hungarian to find, (which is why I found it, lol).  It's a cool ROTJ image, but it's really just a 7" x 10" flyer they handed out, not a "real" poster so to speak.
-I really liked detailed imagery in ESB Yoda poster which is why I picked that up. I decided to save money on framing and get a mat around the frame with the intention of covering the bottom of the poster. (The bottom of the poster is just a 2-3 inch white bar, so i had it covered. I assume it's there for the ability for wherever this was being hung in a public place, someone would have the ability to write on it).
My last two are self explanatory. There not great, but they were cheap, lol. You gotta start somewhere right?

Anyway, I really want to start to collect higher end stuff, but it does make me nervous. Again, I'm happy to have this forum and hope to contribute in any way I can.

Cheers!
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Hi There!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
 welcome1 mcfree and enjoy the forum. There are lots of helpful folks here, always willing to reply and answer your questions, so you are in good hands.

And nice posters, too. Looks like you are off to a really good start. Congrats. The artwork on the ESB Yoda poster is terrific.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »
Easiest way is to buy from reputable sellers, good luck and welcome

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:18:14 PM »
Thank you both  :)
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:56 AM »
 welcome1 to APF, McFree.
We'll do our best to help you avoid getting burnt.
 cheers

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:03:06 AM »
Hi McFree. Welcome aboard. Peruse the forum....there are sections that are now open to you that were not open when you were just lurking. I'm not exactly sure which areas are now revealed to you that were previously concealed, but there is a wealth of information (storage, framing, linenbacking, authentication, etc.) . In fact, there is so much on here, i have NOT even seen it all. WOW! You've really stumbled into a great place with lots of helpful folks.

ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline DarianCastle

• Beginner
    • Horror Movie Reviews & Collection Videos
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 02:07:19 AM »
Welcome, enjoy the hunt.

D.
Most of my collecting interests are focussed around horror films of the late 70s to 80s.

https://twitter.com/DarianWCastle
https://www.youtube.com/user/daylife13
https://www.instagram.com/dariancastle/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 12:12:41 PM »
Like 50s said, concentrating on reputable sellers is your best shot.  Then once you acquire a basic knowledge, you can expend and separate the charlatans from the good ones.  I agree with you, there are a lot of profiteers out there and it can be confusing and overwhelming.  A lot of people on this forum can help you too, so email them personally in case of doubt.  I'm thinking Mike (Undead) and Matt (Harry Caul).  They are the kind of people who won't bid on something you're asking them about.

If I were you, I'd start with Dale (can't remember his eBay name) and Bruce (Emovieposter.com) who sells SW posters weekly.  They are both on the forum if you want to contact them directly.

Good luck and enjoy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
Wow,

You guys are all so kind! Thank you for info and support, it really means a lot.
Now, I've got a lot of sifting & reading to do, lol......
Favorites?
-

BigBen75

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »
If I were you, I'd start with Dale (can't remember his eBay name)

ddilts399 on ebay.  Dale has an excellent selection.

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 06:50:05 PM »
Thank you for his ID !!
Favorites?
-

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 04:37:53 AM »
Welcome Mcfree! I love that Yoda Radio poster...the colours in it are great. I need one!  welcome1