Author Topic: Top ten "Most Disturbing" Movies  (Read 31638 times)

spacething

Re: Top ten "Most Disturbing" Movies
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 02:51:46 PM »

However, I doubt it was actually done.

I doubt they would get permission from PETA, considering PETA would probably organize a protest against a sports arena if a baseball accidentally hit a bird or something.

A lot of those old Italian cannibal films like Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, Last Survivor, and others have animal killings in them.  Very nasty stuff that I could do without.  I rather would have had them just do a really good special effects job than the real thing.

Btw - Brude - do you actually own that poster?  I've been wanting one of those bad boys for a long time!  Glaberson had one for auction a while back, I wrote to him asking him to clarify the dimensions for me because he had it listed as 27 x 40, but he never wrote me back and the poster got sold.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »
I realized I left out another that really, really belongs.  The Men Behind the Sun.  Its brutal.

And, I am not sure about the animal scenes in Henry, but the ones in Cannibal Holocaust were most definitely real animals.  For this reason, the film is still banned in some 30+ countries.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
Is it not true that in Cannibal Holocaust it is animal killings that are portrayed and not animal torture?

There is a difference but of course killing just for a film is nearly on par with torturing for a film.

The scene with the butchering of the cow in Apocalypse Now comes to mind - as far as I know this was actually a real native ritual filmed and then inserted into the film - this is quite different then the other scenarios.
Chris

spacething

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
Is it not true that in Cannibal Holocaust it is animal killings that are portrayed and not animal torture?

I never really made that distinction.  I have the Grindhouse double disc set and there is an option to watch an "animal cruelty-free" version of the film and that's the one I usually watch.  But if memory serves, it sure seemed like the muskrat suffered a fair amount.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
True, they were not really torturing the animals, but then they definitely did not kill them in the most expedient manner possible either.  Take the "turtle" scene for example.  They got this large 24-30 inch diameter (living) turtle, flipped it over and opened it with a hatchet, then proceeded to gut it in a very messy manner.  All the while it was squirming, etc.  To this day, it was the most disturbing scene I have ever watched.  The actor who did it said he cried later.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »
From wikipedia:

Many of the censorship issues with Cannibal Holocaust concern the on-screen killings of animals, which remains a major issue today. Seven animals were killed during the film's production, six of which are seen on screen:[1]

A coatimundi (mistaken as a muskrat in the film) is stabbed multiple times in the neck by an actor.
A large turtle (about three feet long) is captured in the water and dragged to shore, where it is then decapitated and its limbs and shell removed. The actors proceed to cook and eat the turtle.
A large spider is killed with a machete.
A snake is killed with a machete.
A squirrel monkey has its face cut off with a machete.
A pig is kicked twice and then shot with a rifle.
Many condemn this as animal cruelty for the purpose of mere sensationalism and only to attract controversy, and it has also been called "animal torture." Deodato himself has condemned his past actions,[8] saying "I was stupid to introduce animals."[28]

^ While in the movie it appears that only six animals are killed, the scene depicting the monkey's death was shot twice, resulting in the death of two monkeys. Both of the animals were eaten by indigenous cast members (who consider monkey brains a delicacy

Clearly this is trash I will NEVER subject myself to...
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
From wikipedia:

Many of the censorship issues with Cannibal Holocaust concern the on-screen killings of animals, which remains a major issue today. Seven animals were killed during the film's production, six of which are seen on screen:[1]
A large turtle (about three feet long) is captured in the water and dragged to shore, where it is then decapitated and its limbs and shell removed. The actors proceed to cook and eat the turtle.
A

I do not remember it in that order.......i seem to remember the shell removed part came before the other.  But then, like I said, it wasn't easy to watch.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »
I doubt they would get permission from PETA, considering PETA would probably organize a protest against a sports arena if a baseball accidentally hit a bird or something.

Btw - Brude - do you actually own that poster?  I've been wanting one of those bad boys for a long time!  Glaberson had one for auction a while back, I wrote to him asking him to clarify the dimensions for me because he had it listed as 27 x 40, but he never wrote me back and the poster got sold.

Yes, I have an original HENRY, with the Joe Coleman art.  It measures -- if memory serves me correctly -- 25x38 or slightly smaller, definitely not 27x40. I got it back in the day from Chuck Parello, who worked on the film and directed the sequel.

Schan, there were no animal cruelty issues in HENRY, Severen and fallen were referring to SEED, which sounds like a gross-out.  Apparently, PETA 'sold' them some disturbing stock footage to start (prologue?) the movie.  I can see PETA doing this, especially if they knew it would upset viewers.  Whether they were paid for usage or actually donated the film, I don't know.

Back in the day, I used very graphic photos of animals caught in leg-hold traps to underscore the horror of animal cruelty.  I used these at seminars and slideshows.  These were always provided freely by groups like the FUND FOR ANIMALS, DEFENDERS OF WILDLIFE and the ASPCA -- that is, if they were being used to educate.  The producers of SEED probably approached them in a similar vein.

As for CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, thanks for the heads up. I have not seen it and I will never watch it now.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
I think it's high time someone started a DISTURBING MOVIE POSTER thread here at APF?
Post your own...
Who's first?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
Yes, I have an original HENRY, with the Joe Coleman art.  It measures -- if memory serves me correctly -- 25x38 or slightly smaller, definitely not 27x40. I got it back in the day from Chuck Parello, who worked on the film and directed the sequel.

Schan, there were no animal cruelty issues in HENRY, Severen and fallen were referring to SEED, which sounds like a gross-out.  Apparently, PETA 'sold' them some disturbing stock footage to start (prologue?) the movie.  I can see PETA doing this, especially if they knew it would upset viewers.  Whether they were paid for usage or actually donated the film, I don't know.

Back in the day, I used very graphic photos of animals caught in leg-hold traps to underscore the horror of animal cruelty.  I used these at seminars and slideshows.  These were always provided freely by groups like the FUND FOR ANIMALS, DEFENDERS OF WILDLIFE and the ASPCA -- that is, if they were being used to educate.  The producers of SEED probably approached them in a similar vein.

As for CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, thanks for the heads up. I have not seen it and I will never watch it now.

Thanks for the clarification...
Chris

guest8

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
If this is true, that is simply nauseating.

What excuse could there possibly be to torture animals for film?!

However, I doubt it was actually done.

Well anyone who is anyone knows everything on the interwebz is true ! :P .. Although I think in this case they only had footage of the cruelty and used it.. they didnt actually create the footage themselves .. It could all be a big farce to sell more copies though.. who knows ..

EDIT::
Ohh Brude beat me to it .. Thanks for the information though .. Mine was just 2nd or 3rd hand mutterings on a web-blog somewhere..

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 08:46:31 PM »
Two come to mind:
1) Irreversible
2) Happiness
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
I will breathe a little life into this thread. I have not seen them but I hear the August Underground movies aare completely over the top. For me horror is monsters blah blah blah. AU from what I have read is a simulated snuff movie. No thanks.....
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »
I have seen a lot of strange stuff, but I don't think any of it has disturbed me. Nekromantic was a bit odd, Cannibal Holocaust, etc were trying to hard. There was a film who's title escapes me, where a guy gets tied up and shot in the face several times. It was more of a documentary on killing and death.
     Disturbing is such a strong word, it would mean losing grasp of reality!!!!
It's more than a Hobby...

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
I have seen a lot of strange stuff, but I don't think any of it has disturbed me. Nekromantic was a bit odd, Cannibal Holocaust, etc were trying to hard. There was a film who's title escapes me, where a guy gets tied up and shot in the face several times. It was more of a documentary on killing and death.
     Disturbing is such a strong word, it would mean losing grasp of reality!!!!

Traces Of Death?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 10:04:33 PM »
Faces of Death, perhaps?  You would get a certificate if you made it through the whole thing.  Not for me.

Irreversible was hands down the most disturbing movie I have ever seen.  Perfect title in that regard as well.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:14 PM »
Strangely.

CONTROL (2007) about Joy Division singer Ian Curtis.

Messed me around a LOT.

And Ive seen all of faces of Death, Cannibal Holocaust, the Guinea Pig films, you name it, it was like a badge of honour at the time, pre DVD when finding this stuff was near impossible (in their full uncut glory).

Some remain favourites, Cannibal Holocaust is a great film, despite the animal stuff (and I have been Vegetarian for 26 years).

Control just really hit a chord.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
Traces of death isn't the title, unless it was called something else in the States?

Control, I may have to check out. Never seen it. 

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
TRACES OF DEATH is what it's called in the States.  CONTROL is a wonderfully poignant, heartfelt movie about Ian Curtis and, I might add, beautifully directed by Anton Corbjin

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »
Doc, does Traces of Death feature quite a bit of the S.S.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »
Heres imdb`s Faces of Death Synopis.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077533/

(Still having problems hyperlinking etc sorry)

Stew
Oh now its posted..apparently not!!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
It's not faces of death, Stew I have all those.

I'm going to ring a friend of mind and see if he can remember the title, as I don't have the video to hand.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »
Its really annoying when you cant recall a movie..im a bit OCD when i cant remember the name of a blimming film ive seen!

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
Just rung a film friend of mine, the film was called "Executions", He has a good mind for lists, a bit like Dustin Hoffman, though he is not an Excellent Driver. 

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
Lol.. I call my wife an excellent driver all the time and she never gets the joke...oh the simple things

Stew