Author Topic: Brigitte Bardot through posters  (Read 43028 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Brigitte Bardot through posters
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 05:37:01 AM »
Ta.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 05:57:44 AM »
What's the appropriate adjective for such a collection of Bardot posters - a blizzard of...a beauty of...? There's probably a more apt word in French, there usually is, but my O level French (1969) isn't adequate to the occasion.

And if that's a niche collection then my entire collection would slip through a crack in the floor!

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »
My God. This is both aesthetic overload and sobering at the same time. I'm speechless - except that as a beginner, I consider BB one of my niche genres, but it's now so microscopic, "humbled" doesn't begin to describe what I feel. Thanks so much for sharing.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 06:29:43 PM »
Man this is some Bardot collection. She was stunning in her hey day.

I only have two Bardot's, the UK quad for Shalako and this

Interesting story behind this. This is a very early piece from Miracle films with a different title. (And God Created Woman).

Both titles were certificated in Feb 1957. The new title was released two months later. I was told it was more than likely Tony Tenser who got the title changed.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »
My God. This is both aesthetic overload and sobering at the same time. I'm speechless - except that as a beginner, I consider BB one of my niche genres, but it's now so microscopic, "humbled" doesn't begin to describe what I feel. Thanks so much for sharing.

Don't let it humble you.  I felt the same way when I started collecting 15 years ago and never looked back.  I think it was Dan Rickard's collection that impressed me back then.  What you have to do is build your own collection and not worry about what other people have.  Buy what you like and not what you think will be worth something tomorrow.  You will never be disappointed.  And you'll see, 5 years from now your collection will humble someone and you can tell them not to worry about it and move on.

I have more Bardots in my collection.  Just check the link in my sig and navigate to the left.  You'll find her there, sitting pretty amongst other pretties.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 08:04:21 PM »
Don't let it humble you.  I felt the same way when I started collecting 15 years ago and never looked back.  I think it was Dan Rickard's collection that impressed me back then.  What you have to do is build your own collection and not worry about what other people have.  Buy what you like and not what you think will be worth something tomorrow.  You will never be disappointed.  And you'll see, 5 years from now your collection will humble someone and you can tell them not to worry about it and move on.

I have more Bardots in my collection.  Just check the link in my sig and navigate to the left.  You'll find her there, sitting pretty amongst other pretties.

T

Someone gave me advice very similar to this when I first got going.... it took someone pointing out this same sentiment to ground me and not lust after someone else's stacks, and make me appreciate the thought and effort I'd put into my own modest collection. It still rings true today.

Well said, T.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »

8)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »
An absolutely magnificent collection, T.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »

T

Well, I should have known this hobby was like some others I've been a part of. As a vintage camera collector (for only a few years) I'm equally awed by pics of private collections that have taken 60 years to establish, rooms lined with display cases filled with thousands of every camera imaginable.

I didn't mean to imply the extent of your BB collection affected me negatively in any way - in fact, it's inspiring. What I am beginning to realize is that collecting only lobby cards will eventually be limiting as they are no longer made in most cases. The posters are just so damned beautiful I may have to reconsider. It's still the storage space that gives me pause.

I've always collected examples that appeal to me, never as an investment. I've been a film fanatic all my life, ever since my dad took my brother and me to the Saturday afternoon matinees in our home town theater. Attack of the Crab Monsters comes to mind as one of the first - it was that long ago. I was ten, I believe. There are so many films and actors that have been meaningful sign posts throughout my life - it's a visceral thing in many cases.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »
There is nothing wrong with just collecting lobby cards.  They are fun to collect.  I collect them too, though not as fervently as posters, and I am somewhat limited since I only want full sets (US: http://www.eatbrie.com/LCUS.htm, French: http://www.eatbrie.com/LCFrench.htm, German: http://www.eatbrie.com/LCGerman.htm, Italian: http://www.eatbrie.com/LCItalian.htm).  To me, they go hand in hand with the posters.  Anyhow, back to Bardot :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline FFFMoviePosters

• Beginner
    • FFF Movie Posters
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
Anyhow, back to Bardot :)

If you say so :)

From Sherry, FFF co-owner:

"Your Brigitte Bardot posters are gorgeous!  Are you missing any?  My favorite one of her's is Le Mepris.  What's yours?"

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Yes, I'm missing plenty unfortunately.  A few key pieces.  Very rare ones.

No, I don't have a favorite.  Of the ones I own, I'd say these seven top my list.  A few of them I've only seen once in my years of collecting.  Italians are always the best.

T
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:44:03 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »
I think they would top most Bardot lovers favorites list.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 10:10:23 PM »

Not a bad one in the lot. The, Miss Spogliarello and Les Bijoutiers... are the standouts for me.

T, a bit off topic, but have you ever been contacted by a gallery or other private enterprise regarding exhibiting this, or any other parts of your vast collection?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »
No, but at the same time, I don't really go out of my way to advertise my collection.  The name Eatbrie doesn't really scream movie posters.  Sure, I post posters on this forum from time to time, like in the Bardot thread, but I don't know in the Latest Acquisitions thread, which is probably one of the most read threads.  Most people don't check signature links either.  And I don't sell, which is usually the best way to advertise oneself.  A lot of people don't care seeing things they cannot buy.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 05:57:51 AM »
A lot of people don't care seeing things they cannot buy.

Mention that to the Louvre and see if they concur...

Offline FFFMoviePosters

• Beginner
    • FFF Movie Posters
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »
A lot of people don't care seeing things they cannot buy.

Speaking of which, how many of your posters do you have on display versus packed away?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
He only brings his posters out for display for high days and holidays.

And maybe a kid's birthday.

You will see his kids' progression through their birthdays as ET posters progress to Carrie posters.  True story.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »
Makes a lot of sense.

I like the fact that you don't necessarily show off your collection, but you don't hide it either. Too many folks crying "look at me" these days.

From time to time I'll visit your site and go down the rabbit hole of your collection for a half hour at a time. I appreciate the time it must take to keep that thing kept current.

No, but at the same time, I don't really go out of my way to advertise my collection.  The name Eatbrie doesn't really scream movie posters.  Sure, I post posters on this forum from time to time, like in the Bardot thread, but I don't know in the Latest Acquisitions thread, which is probably one of the most read threads.  Most people don't check signature links either.  And I don't sell, which is usually the best way to advertise oneself.  A lot of people don't care seeing things they cannot buy.

T

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »
I appreciate the time it must take to keep that thing kept current.

It's not work if you enjoy it :) 

I'm very swift.  I buy some posters and put them on my site immediately.  I probably do it three times a week.  If I wait too long, it becomes work, because I have to add some 20 posters, and that's not fun.  80% of them are space fillers, so you will never see them in my Best Purchases thread.  Most of the modern stuff falls in that category.  They get buried.  On average, I add 1,300 posters a year.  It has been like that for a few years now. 

Happy to see someone enjoys it.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »
Speaking of which, how many of your posters do you have on display versus packed away?

Like Simes said, I have one poster on display, right now a B0 for Jedi, and the rest tucked away.  I love posters for their historical value and because I love movies, but not to display.  I used to display posters in high school, but not since.  Most people don't understand, but it's my thing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
Actually, so did I used to display posters when of school age.

And then I stopped. 

And many years later, four choice posters are now on permanent display, backed, framed, and behind the best glass in the business.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »
I love posters for their historical value and because I love movies, but not to display.  I used to display posters in high school, but not since.  Most people don't understand, but it's my thing.

T

I use to get them away very quickly as well, but I found I wan't taking time to appreciate the art/design. Now I spend a bit more time with them before they are archived, not long though.

I'm the same way about my walls. I've only got two framed and up at the moment. My 2001 Hungarian A1 in the home office, and my Goonies OS hanging over the kids homework/art table. Though I'd have to break that rule if I had all of those beautiful Bardot's around, probably have the place wallpapered with them  ;)

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
Merci bien pour tous les photos!
Adorable!
Here are some of my German posters I think you don't have:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:20:19 PM by peckinpah »

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »