Collecting and Collectibles in Other Areas > Show Us Your Other Collectibles

Late 19th C. Brass Door Knockers

<< < (2/3) > >>

erik1925:
This one is about the size of the knockers in the clip...almost...LOL

Not from the late 19th C, but a 20th C reproduction. The patina is all wrong (too green and painted) and it weighs a ton, being cast in iron! And it's about 16" from top to bottom.  Still a cool design, tho, imho, as it was probably cast from an original piece that was molded.

monocle:
You do have to be jolly careful regarding the authenticity of old iron and brass castings. I have quite a few myself and I do love Victorian ironwork. It would however had been much easier had I simply collected silk scarves. Manhandling cast iron umbrella stands etc  from the auction house has kept my physiotherapist in a style to which I am not accustomed...

okiehawker:
Jeff, That knocker would certainly speak to a lonesome traveler on a blood-lit evening...

Okie

erik1925:

--- Quote from: okiehawker on August 08, 2019, 11:50:02 PM ---Jeff, That knocker would certainly speak to a lonesome traveler on a blood-lit evening...

Okie

--- End quote ---

Hey Okie..

The last one (the demon face) I eventually sold as it was a newer casting with the added, green patina, to make it look more weathered. I advertised it as such, and someone snagged it. Was VERY heavy, too.

erik1925:

--- Quote from: monocle on August 08, 2019, 08:01:12 PM ---You do have to be jolly careful regarding the authenticity of old iron and brass castings. I have quite a few myself and I do love Victorian ironwork. It would however had been much easier had I simply collected silk scarves. Manhandling cast iron umbrella stands etc  from the auction house has kept my physiotherapist in a style to which I am not accustomed...

--- End quote ---

Good to see you back, monocle! Its been a while. Hope all is good with you, too!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version