Author Topic: Late 19th C. Brass Door Knockers  (Read 19021 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Late 19th C. Brass Door Knockers
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »
Over the years, Ive picked up a couple of these that caught my eye.

The one of the woman's hand, holding the small ball, along with small, rosette-shaped knock plate I picked up in a very small town outside of Cannes in France, at a flea market. The seller said he had gotten it (and various other hardware) off of a door and home that had been torn down.

Before I found this one for sale, and when walking around the old section of Cannes, I just loved the way these looked on people's front doors. So i was really jazzed when this was laying on a table for sale.

The devil's head knocker was an online purchase. The seller also got this piece in that kind of house salvage. There are some paint marks around the very edge of this one, from when someone repainted the door and probably didnt feel like removing the knocker, so painted around it.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:33:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
Re: Late 19th C. Brass Door Knockers
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:42:08 PM »
Those are great!

Do you have a similar knocker on the door of your residence?

If not, have you considered using one of these?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
Thanks, Deke.

I had the French one up on my previous front door, and did so for a handful of years, but neither is currently up or mounted now.

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:43:47 AM »
Nice knockers

guest4531

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 06:19:23 AM »
Nice knockers

What Knockers!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L8LZPH0GVZ8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L8LZPH0GVZ8</a>

:)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 12:43:42 AM »
This one is about the size of the knockers in the clip...almost...LOL

Not from the late 19th C, but a 20th C reproduction. The patina is all wrong (too green and painted) and it weighs a ton, being cast in iron! And it's about 16" from top to bottom.  Still a cool design, tho, imho, as it was probably cast from an original piece that was molded.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:40:46 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 08:01:12 PM »
You do have to be jolly careful regarding the authenticity of old iron and brass castings. I have quite a few myself and I do love Victorian ironwork. It would however had been much easier had I simply collected silk scarves. Manhandling cast iron umbrella stands etc  from the auction house has kept my physiotherapist in a style to which I am not accustomed...
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 11:50:02 PM »
Jeff, That knocker would certainly speak to a lonesome traveler on a blood-lit evening...

Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
Jeff, That knocker would certainly speak to a lonesome traveler on a blood-lit evening...

Okie

Hey Okie..

The last one (the demon face) I eventually sold as it was a newer casting with the added, green patina, to make it look more weathered. I advertised it as such, and someone snagged it. Was VERY heavy, too.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 09:30:00 AM »
You do have to be jolly careful regarding the authenticity of old iron and brass castings. I have quite a few myself and I do love Victorian ironwork. It would however had been much easier had I simply collected silk scarves. Manhandling cast iron umbrella stands etc  from the auction house has kept my physiotherapist in a style to which I am not accustomed...

Good to see you back, monocle! Its been a while. Hope all is good with you, too!  :D

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 07:36:26 AM »
Splendid to see you again too old chap! Well I hit sixty and it seems to have been hitting me back a little in return. One bumbles on nevertheless...
Nick
Utter gent.