Author Topic: DIY framing -- share your experiences!  (Read 20642 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
DIY framing -- share your experiences!
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:39:12 PM »
I have gotten some requests for the details of how I framed my Italian 4-foglio.  I was going to respond in that thread, but figured we should probably have a dedicated DIY topic.  So without further delay....

Frame company: Custom Frame Solutions
Assembly instructions: Instructions for Ready-to-Assemble Frames
My moulding: 2" Antique Walnut solid-wood Custom Frame CFS300-435
Subtotal : $243.80 USD
FedEx / UPS Shipping plus Insurance (with Securing & Hanging Hardware) : $6.50 USD
Total : $250.30 USD

I ordered in March 2011 so prices may be different now.  There were a few other places that

The trick to assembly is to find a flat space big enough to lay the frame flat during drying.  I put a small stack of books on each corner during drying so that it wouldn't dry warped.  The corner plugs keep the corners at right angles (check anyway), but there is still a chance for the whole thing to warp and not sit flush against the wall.

After it was square, flat and dry, I too measurements and ordered the overlay.  I got an oversized (72"x96"x0.125") piece of OP3 UV acrylic from Piedmont Plastics of Greenville, SC, who cut it to size and delivered it for $255.61.  I then used (2) pieces of 40x60 art care acid free foam core as backing (horizontally seam) for the linen, with (2) more pieces of 4'x8' regular foam core behind those (vertical seam) for extra support -- I was worried about the structural integrity when having a split backing.  

FINAL ASSEMBLY
IIRC, I peeled back a tiny bit of the blue plastic covering on the acrylic (the part that would be covered by the frame rabbet), but left the majority of it on during assembly.  I was worried that the weight of the acrylic, linen-backed poster and foam core backing would pop out of the frame.  With the frame face down on the ground, I figured out the approximate height the acrylic would need to be suspended off the floor and scattered around a whole mess of books around the right thickness.  Then when I placed the acrylic in the frame it didn't bow downward.  Then I put down the poster, then the backing, and then fixed it all in place with framing points.  Dust and dirt sticking to the acrylic was a major hassle, I must have cleaned it 10-15 times before I was satisfied (read: gave up).  You'll never get it perfect, but a week after putting it on the wall I forgot all about it.  Now I can't even find the handful of dust spots anymore even though they must be there.  Don't stress to much.  

So overall it was a lot of work, but well worth the savings.  The final cost was around $540 -- compared to quotes of $1500-$2000 to have it professionally framed!

THE POSTER

THE POSTER CLIPPED ON THE WALL PRIOR TO FRAMING

THE POSTER AS FRAMED

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:15:52 PM by erik1925 »

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
Re: DIY framing -- share your experiences!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
Wow that looks great, and thanks for doing a brief write up. Maybe one day Ill be man enough to do some of my large posters myself haha.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Looks like a high quality setup, and pretty darn good prices.  Good job.   cool1

Wise decisions on your part, getting the frame and acrylic from people who cut/chopped it with professional equipment, and it's also cool that they delivered it.  Getting the stuff from the pros and assembling it yourself is really the best way to go, IMO, and ultimately you save some $.  It's a win-win.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
Thanks!  And keep in mind that this same approach can be used with 3-sheets and French 1ps for much cheaper.  You won't have to pay a premium for over-sized acrylic and you can get by with standard 4x8 acrylic.  My French 1p that I framed only came to about $350 in materials -- and that was with a 2+" gold leaf solid wood moulding.  More expensive than snap frames, yes, but it would be nearly impossible to get a wood frame for much less...  And again, it was $350 DIY (outsourcing materials) vs. $1000+ from the frame shop. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »
Looks great, Matt.. and the DIY aspect alone has to be so much more rewarding, too!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 12:15:29 AM »
Thanks!  And keep in mind that this same approach can be used with 3-sheets and French 1ps for much cheaper.  You won't have to pay a premium for over-sized acrylic and you can get by with standard 4x8 acrylic.  My French 1p that I framed only came to about $350 in materials -- and that was with a 2+" gold leaf solid wood moulding.  More expensive than snap frames, yes, but it would be nearly impossible to get a wood frame for much less...  And again, it was $350 DIY (outsourcing materials) vs. $1000+ from the frame shop. 

Yup I had some quotes from some frame shops for a couple of my Thierry hates "French Grande"s, and they wanted $1,200-$1,500....and that was for the semi cheap wooden frames. I maybe have to give this a try.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »
Yup I had some quotes from some frame shops for a couple of my Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""s, and they wanted $1,200-$1,500....and that was for the semi cheap wooden frames. I maybe have to give this a try.

And dont forget the talcum powder.  ;D

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
Matt, could I ask you?

How heavy is it? I gather 2 can get it up on the wall?

Also. .have you used anything else, extra fittings to get it fixed on the wall?

Thank you!

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
And dont forget the talcum powder.  ;D

Im gonna do it today or tomorrow, will post pics.

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
Im gonna do it today or tomorrow, will post pics.

Ay mama mia....pressure is on....it worked on mine ( you can see the pic) but be careful when you take it off... ;)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Cross-posted from here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,177.msg171196.html#msg171196

I thought some of you may be interested in these frames I built.  I had been using standard black metal Hollywood Poster frames, but after seeing a poster show in a nice gallery I was very jealous of the frames.  Well, I was lucky enough to find a more-or-less complete framing studio on craigslist for $500.  It was the contents of a small shop owned by a professional photographer who framed all is own prints.  Included in it were a miter saw with framing guides ($700 new), a foot-pedal driven v-nailer ($700), a table-top v-nailer ($200), a 45 deg sander for finishing miters ($100), and then TONS of other stuff -- hinge tape, point driver, 8-10 colors of filler putty, lots of corner clamps, etc, etc, etc.... There were literally boxes of equipment.  He also threw in a massive pile of unused moldings.  It was the deal of the century given that just these 5 frames I built would have cost $250 a piece easy at a professional frame store.  

FRAME: With these frames I tried to balance cost, UV protection and a clean, professional look.  The frames are made from furniture grade pine, gutted on a table saw and then mitered to length.  They were glued and then v-nailed from the back, but because the frame moldings were so deep I also had to clamp them to keep the front of the miters together.  After a bit of finish sanding they came out very clean looking.  They are just raw wood at this point, but they could easily be stained or painted to achieve any number of looks.

GLAZING: For glazing I used 1/4" standard acrylic.  Normally you would use 1/16" acrylic for a frame like this, but I chose thicker acrylic to improve the UV blocking.  I'm still looking for concrete data on how thickness impacts UV transmission, but I've heard from multiple framers that increasing thickness is a cheaper way to increase UV protection.  In my case, OP2/OP3 Museum grade acrylic would have been ~$150 a sheet (98% UV blocking).  Standard plexi is about 65-70% at 1/16" an inch.  I'm hoping that by moving to 4x thicker standard plexi that it will increase the UV blocking to the 80-85% range while only increasing cost a small bit.  In my case, each piece of 1/4" acrylic only cost $33.  

BACKING: I used flat black, acid-free foam core.  It serves as both a backing to the poster (secured in place with framing points from behind), and a surface to mount the poster for a floating look.  I know that seeing the edges of the paper might not be desirable for all posters, but I especially like it with these full-bleed Eastern Europeans.  Posters are mounted to the foam core using a standard T-hinge, which should be easily reversed with some bestine.  

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Now compare that with my previous frame job...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Here are my thoughts:

A-freakin'-mazing!

Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »
Thanks,
My sister just bought a new house, with a studio, and yesterday we were talking about trying our hands at framing, its a big house and she loves art, but who can afford frames?

Ill show her this. Might inspire her.

at the moment, both of us buy el cheapo frames that kinda fit from bargain basement stores, :)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 10:25:48 AM »
I agree, those frames look absolutely amazing! Even with just the raw wood like that, they look awsome!

How did you mount the posters to the boards? I actually like that black border look!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:30:46 AM by bigmike »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:51:19 AM »
I also like the wood, but agree, deep red would be great, thats my favourite, wood stain, see grain. hatchet murders, I mean  Profondo rosso!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
I agree, those frames look absolutely amazing! Even with just the raw wood like that, they look awsome!

How did you mount the posters to the boards? I actually like that black border look!

Here ya go

BACKING: I used flat black, acid-free foam core.  It serves as both a backing to the poster (secured in place with framing points from behind), and a surface to mount the poster for a floating look.  I know that seeing the edges of the paper might not be desirable for all posters, but I especially like it with these full-bleed Eastern Europeans.  Posters are mounted to the foam core using a standard T-hinge, which should be easily reversed with some bestine. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 11:52:58 AM »

Scroll down for a description of a t-hinge. You are basically turning two pieces of tape into a double sided mount. But unlike using double sided tape, you can easily lift the artwork, cut the hinge, and then use bestine to remove the (acid-free) tape remnants on the poster.

http://www.diplomaframe.com/blog/tabid/178/entryid/257/tips-for-float-mounting-artwork.aspx

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
Thanks Harry!
The other thing I was thinking about was for the UV. IF we use regular plexi which was around 60-80%UV filtered.  What about using a mylar D film which should be rated 99% over the poster first (since its crystal clear) and then use the regular plexi over that as well? What are your thoughts?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 02:38:29 PM »
Thanks Harry!
The other thing I was thinking about was for the UV. IF we use regular plexi which was around 60-80%UV filtered.  What about using a mylar D film which should be rated 99% over the poster first (since its crystal clear) and then use the regular plexi over that as well? What are your thoughts?

You might get a double reflection, but the only way to know for sure would be to try.  Should be much lighter than my 1/4" option!

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
Excellent frame jobs.  And, man, what a steal on the frame machines....
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 09:17:03 PM »
Looking into Mylar/Polyester archival sleeves and was wondering if anyone just puts sleeves posters into frames?

Fully protects the poster, offers fantastic UV protection, they're acid-free, they're inert, they're crystal-clear and allows you to use cheaper materials i.e. standard perspex/acrylic glazing, standard back board or cheaper conservation board

Sleeves cost roughly £6/$10 each.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
It's definitely an intriguing idea.  As seen above, I really like to leave some visible mat on the float-mounted Eastern Europeans.  Mylar pockets wouldn't work in that case.  I wonder if Mylar (D?) comes in a 30+" roll so you could more or less cut it the same size as your acrylic.  If it didn't add too much reflection it could indeed be the perfect balance of conservation and cost. 

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »
Yeah good point, it would probably work better for frames without visible mat.

You can get rolls of Mylar, you can even get adhesive rolls of the stuff but it costs a lot more, but it would be ideal for getting perfect flatness.

Normal rolls of Mylar - http://www.mylart-stencils.co.uk/mylar-a-125-micron-by-the-metre-19-p.asp
Adhesive Mylar - http://www.preservationequipment.com/Store/Products/Conservation-Materials/Display-Materials/UV-Light-Filter-Polyester-Film

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 02:16:41 PM »
I just noticed this last comment about adhesive UV films...  I actually put these films on nearly all of my windows to help preserve posters and fabrics throughout the house.  A pain in the ass, but it offers great piece of mind!

As for adhering them to a piece of acrylic, I don't think that would work very well.  We bought some privacy/frosted 3M rolls to adhere to an acrylic storm window for our bathroom.  Flash forward 8 years -- the UV film mounted to glass windows throughout the house is holding up great, the frosted film attached to the acrylic started peeling up at the edge after a few years.  Maybe it would hold up better snug in a frame?  I would want to test it first before making a whole mess of them though...