Author Topic: Thai Movie Posters  (Read 50693 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Thai Movie Posters
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2018, 05:51:11 PM »
Thai women beware the "Ghost Widow!" that might arouse and steal/kill your men in their sleep. I was amazed and thrilled when I first saw this incredible Tongdee painted poster in a night market in Bangkok that I used to haunt!  I hope you guys/gals enjoy it, too.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2018, 06:28:19 PM »
"Tiger Machine Gun Woman!"  I'm not sure how she carried that huge machine gun in one hand with her large coat/cape over her same shoulder. Though, I've seen some Thai ladies lift very heavy boxes/baskets you wouldn't think they could. Amazing!  More Tongdee painted art for the local theatre market.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »
Johnny Handsome Thai painted poster.  I believe the silver square with the title is a correction as the original lettering is underneath.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2018, 08:15:06 PM »
Johnny Handsome Thai painted poster.  I believe the silver square with the title is a correction as the original lettering is underneath.  Okie

Nice JOHNNY HANDSOME poster, there, Okie. Any clue when you look at the original Thai text under the silver snipe (held up to light) as to why the sticker might have been added?

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2018, 08:42:22 PM »
Nice JOHNNY HANDSOME poster, there, Okie. Any clue when you look at the original Thai text under the silver snipe (held up to light) as to why the sticker might have been added?

Hi Jeff, Good question!  It's actually over-painting rather than a sticker.  It looks like the English underneath says "Johnny Handsome", though looks like the Thai title underneath is spelled  differently.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2018, 08:42:37 PM »
I really like the main artwork on this on, too, Okie... rather creepy, in a subtle and seductive way.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2018, 09:23:39 PM »
I apologize in advance for the gory nature of this poster, though it is an important spirit/ghost part of Thai folk stories.  This poster by Chamnong is from the Phi Pop (Female Floating Head Ghost/Spirit Entrail Eating and similar spirits)  series of Thai movies.  If you have seen and/or heard of the Thai movie "Pop Body Jumper" from 2001, it is the same genre.  Yucky, eh!? I'll post some more Phi Pop posters, if you all want me to do so after seeing this gross one.   Okie
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:27:38 PM by okiehawker »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »
We're getting closer to that ghastly time of year...so the more, the scarier, Okie.  >:D devil 2  thumbsup.gif

And we need this one BIG!! She definitely let's it all hang out, too.

-Jeff

Offline TheQuadfather

• Beginner
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2018, 05:33:43 AM »
It's a been too long since I've been on this site. But now I intend to showcase some of my Thai posters, which I have been collecting for twenty years. Apologies if any of these have been posted before. To kick off, here is THE WORLD IN FLAMES painted by the great Kham.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:10 PM »
It's a been too long since I've been on this site. But now I intend to showcase some of my Thai posters, which I have been collecting for twenty years. Apologies if any of these have been posted before. To kick off, here is THE WORLD IN FLAMES painted by the great Kham.
Wow, QuadFather!  That is some intense flaming ... by Kham.  Thanks for sharing!  Okie

Offline TheQuadfather

• Beginner
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2018, 04:13:42 AM »
Here is another of my Thai posters. It's THE SNAKE SPIRIT painted by Tong Dee. Amazing design, great colour and a giant snake - what more could you want from a poster?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
Here is another of my Thai posters. It's THE SNAKE SPIRIT painted by Tong Dee. Amazing design, great colour and a giant snake - what more could you want from a poster?

Agreed, QuadFather!  Many of the best Thai posters are for non-U.S. films.  I really enjoy seeing the variety!  Okie

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »

This one is hard to find...I've got similar designs to it but not this one. Nice to see it on this site!

Offline TheQuadfather

• Beginner
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2018, 04:09:04 PM »
Here's a Thai poster that doesn't turn up often. It's THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN, with amazing images painted by Kwow.  I found four copies of this beauty in a dusty old house in one of the southern states down near the Malaysian border. Wish I could find more!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »
Here's a Thai poster that doesn't turn up often. It's THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN, with amazing images painted by Kwow.  I found four copies of this beauty in a dusty old house in one of the southern states down near the Malaysian border. Wish I could find more!

Very cool and creepy looking poster there, GF.

clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »

You are a brave hunter down on the southern border of Thailand, Quad Father.  Especially brave (or a bit Baa?), going through dusty houses down there?!  Wild and scary poster to find times four!  Happy and safe hunting.  Okie

Offline TheQuadfather

• Beginner
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »
This is surely one of the finest of all Thai horror posters - THE HOWLING. Painted by Tong Dee. The design and execution are a hundred times better than on other posters for this film from other countries. I did have a second copy of this, but sold it many years ago.  So rare. You can pick up US one-sheets for this film very easily, but I seriously doubt if more than five or six of the Thai version exist... maybe not even that many.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
"Tiger Machine Gun Woman!"  I'm not sure how she carried that huge machine gun in one hand with her large coat/cape over her same shoulder. Though, I've seen some Thai ladies lift very heavy boxes/baskets you wouldn't think they could. Amazing!  More Tongdee painted art for the local theatre market.  Okie

Do you know the original title for this movie? Striking image, but Google turned up nothing!

Offline TheQuadfather

• Beginner
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2018, 12:06:15 PM »
Do you know the original title for this movie? Striking image, but Google turned up nothing!
I fear that many Thai films have never been given an English-language title, have never been shown outside Thailand and have never been entered on imdb or other movie databases.  All we can do is attempt to translate the title from the Thai and see what we come up with... hence a Google search is very unlikely to come back with anything.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
Thanks! So it is a Thai production? Approx what year?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2018, 11:29:48 PM »
This is surely one of the finest of all Thai horror posters - THE HOWLING. Painted by Tong Dee. The design and execution are a hundred times better than on other posters for this film from other countries. I did have a second copy of this, but sold it many years ago.  So rare. You can pick up US one-sheets for this film very easily, but I seriously doubt if more than five or six of the Thai version exist... maybe not even that many.

Hi QuadFather, I was fortunate once to hold and examine closely this original painting and it is everything you described and more!   Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2018, 11:32:36 PM »
Beautiful poster there, QF!

This one deserves some larger viewing.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2018, 11:36:07 PM »

Hi Rumble, My mom-in-law is Thai and "Tiger Machine Gun Woman" is the closest in English she could translate.  Like QuadFather mentioned, many Thai original movies are uniquely Thai, and probably didn't show outside Thailand or perhaps Southeast Asia.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »

Im really liking this one too, QF. Great color! Again, so perfect for this time of year, too.  devil 2

-Jeff

Offline thaimovieposter

• Hobbyist
  • Welcome to Collect Thai Movie Poster
    • Thaimovieposters
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »
Very Cool and Rare poster.   I used to have them and already been sold to the Collector in the South of Thailand.   He love this poster a lot.