Author Topic: Why I did not end the auction for the Star Wars poster!  (Read 2410 times)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Why I did not end the auction for the Star Wars poster!
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:44:19 PM »
I had intended to take a vacation from this forum, because I do not enjoy reading many of the posts.

However, a situation has arisen that requires that I post.

It all started when Paul Waines (who I don't really know) posted this:

"Anyone bidding on the Star wars triple bill at emovieposter, I would advise you to do your home work."

He followed that with "Yes it's a repro, as was the double bill they sold a week or so back."

and later:

"I did inform Bruces team, they told me they were Quads from the underground!, but they were a different size. The double and Triple bills are notorious for have repros done. They were all over at some of the UK film fairs, Terry of Quadbod first alerted me to them, and they are easy to spot and those are them."

and then

"We all have opinions, and all I'm saying is do your homework if you're going to bid on them. I'm not sure who the Star wars "experts" are or what they know about posters, but from a poster collector, do your homework before bidding. Bruce can only go by what he's told, but it's by whom..."

MY INFORMATION ON THIS POSTER CAME TO ME FIVE YEARS AGO FROM SIM BRANAGHAN, WHO ALMOST EVERY COLLECTOR OF ENGLISH POSTERS KNOWS, AND WHO IS WIDELY REGARDED AS THE WORLD'S LEADING AUTHORITY ON ENGLISH POSTERS (and he has written "the book" on the subject).

But since Paul Waines felt sure of his info, I recontacted Mr. Branaghan and asked him if he had the slightest change of heart on this subject. He replied (in no uncertain words) that he has not, and he made the point quite ferociously, but I won't quote his words, without his permission.

But I wanted even more evidence, so I also contacted Steve Sansweet, who almost every collector of Star Wars posters knows, and who is widely regarded as the world's leading authority on Star Wars posters (and he has the world's best collection of them).

He too said that he is convinced this poster is legitimate, and that there are no known exact repros of it.

So there you have it. The world's #1 English poster authority and the world's #1 Star Wars poster authority both are certain it is genuine. In addition, I personally looked at the poster, and I, who have sold more movie posters than anyone in the world, also feels it is surely authentic.

But if any of you disagree, please don't bid on it.

Now I will resume my vacation.

Thanks.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Why I did not end the auction for the Star Wars poster!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:57 PM »
 clap clap clap clap
 clap clap clap clap
 clap clap clap clap
 clap clap clap clap
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:14:31 PM »
Funny I typed up a post earlier while in the bus, didn't make it through I guess.  Basically I was suggesting that Bruce likely had go-to guys, and that he had to trust their expertise.  Otherwise he would have to cancel auctions all the time, based on conjecture. Not saying Paul's views aren't valid, but the buck has to stop somewhere when you're running a business with 2600 auctions a week.  Good on you Bruce.

I think this is a good news story - good spot, good challenge, good research and good response.  Everyone gets a pat on the back.   thumbsup.gif

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:08:43 AM »
Well put Bruce. That is top class.

Ps. Don't  you dare to pull this Thursday's auction. I'm bidding.!  ;)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:17:14 AM »
Good response fella.

We have no doubt you have all the right 'go to' guys as someone above mentioned.

And, you're undoubtedly the fairest guy on the planet.  (Hoping you understand I am not commenting on your complexion when I say this...)

Best.