Author Topic: Star Wars 1977 Advance Theatrical Trailer, 35mm Widescreen, Color, Stereo Sound  (Read 16257 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
There' some interesting info here, Mike. From the Library of Congress website on the care, handling and storage of motion picture film:

http://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/film.html

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
it isn't nitrate film.. they stopped using that stuff 70 years ago. It's safety film.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
it isn't nitrate film.. they stopped using that stuff 70 years ago. It's safety film.

That's what I thought but the box is clearly marked "Warning - Nitrate Film Inflammable - Keep away from heat or flame"  fits the roll size perfectly and is dated April 1977.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:33:29 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Is this nitrate-warning info hand written on the box, Mike?

I was looking at the Kodak website, and it states (as well the general wikipedia page on nitrate film stock) that it was discontinued to be made in about 1951-52.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Storage/Storage_and_Handing_of_Processed_Nitrate_Film/default.htm

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Is this nitrate-warning info hand written on the box, Mike?

I was looking at the Kodak website, and it states (as well the general wikipedia page on nitrate film stock) that it was discontinued to be made in about 1951-52.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Storage/Storage_and_Handing_of_Processed_Nitrate_Film/default.htm

The date stamp is hard to read but if you hold it at the right angle it is definitely APR 197 and what looks like maybe the start of a second 7 making it 1977. Even without that it would definitely be APR 197?
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
There is of course the chance that it is not the original box but like I mentioned it is a perfect fit for the film roll and the date April of '77 is spot on for when it would have been made and sent out.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Great pic there, Mike. Who is the manufacturer of that film? Does it say?

In looking at the stamped date, the last number (that is visible) of the year, looks like a 4, to me. It looks to be stamped slightly lower than the 9. Going on with what you said that the box may not be orginal to the roll of film.

Also, when you unroll the film and look at the perforated edge, do you see either the word "safety" (or "nitrate") printed along that edge?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:30:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Good call to look at that Eric. It is apparently not the original box and the "7" could indeed be a "4".

The box is Ansco, the film edge though that I never would have known to look at says safety and is Fuji, not Ansco.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I found a couple items on the bay that match that style label. For Ansco Supreme Daylight loading film.

Both were/are offered in the "Vintage Film" section on the bay, which would also suggest the box is from something earlier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANSCO-CAN-AND-SPOOL-ONLY-FOR-SUPREME-NEGATIVE-FILM-182766-/361534137141?hash=item542d1d2335:g:ykoAAOSwv~xXDtrj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANsco-Supreme-Negative-Film-Daylight-Loading-/272188633763?nma=true&si=ocSg3mLfUOenmUIMn15064xYyko%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Good call to look at that Eric. It is apparently not the original box and the "7" could indeed be a "4".

The box is Ansco, the film edge though that I never would have known to look at says safety and is Fuji, not Ansco.

Better safe than nitrate!  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Considering it didn't get a bite at your initial BIN of $4999.00 and then had a winning (though non paying) bid of approx. $360.00, how did you settle on this new BIN number of $2500.00?

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Considering it didn't get a bite at your initial BIN of $4999.00 and then had a winning (though non paying) bid of approx. $360.00, how did you settle on this new BIN number of $2500.00?

It's called, eh what the hell, see what happens in different categories.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Makes total sense, Mike.

"If at first you don't succeed......"

Good luck, on this next go around!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
No BO?  Sometimes people do not put in any BO because the initial price is too high and they know they'll be rejected at half price.  But if you have lowered your price, people might be more inclined to offer something.

Also, Bruce has sold some of these.  Not for much, but they were re-releases: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1661514.html  You might want to try.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
No BO?  Sometimes people do not put in any BO because the initial price is too high and they know they'll be rejected at half price.  But if you have lowered your price, people might be more inclined to offer something.

Also, Bruce has sold some of these.  Not for much, but they were re-releases: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1661514.html  You might want to try.

T

Missing BO was error, back in now. -Thanks

Massive difference between RR and advance. Like Chaykin vs. Episode I rarity wise. I will let the chips fall where they may.  Will not lose sleep keeping it if I don't get any decent offers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:03:54 AM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
The list price with BO is perfect.  You will get an offer, it will be more than $360, and you will sell it!

Now move along, these aren't the droids you're looking for...

Online archstanton

• Hobbyist
I suggest adding the words "film print" to the title.  For those specifically searching for movies/trailers on film they might use those words and you'd likely show up better in the search results. 

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
I suggest adding the words "film print" to the title.  For those specifically searching for movies/trailers on film they might use those words and you'd likely show up better in the search results.

Appreciate the tip, consider it done.
Just bleach the bitch!