Author Topic: Toronto - 3-sheet Acid-Free Foamboard  (Read 13955 times)

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
Toronto - 3-sheet Acid-Free Foamboard
« on: April 15, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
Hello,

I have a 3-sheet linen-backed poster, for which I've purchased the frame as well as the plexiglass.  However, I'm having a very difficult time finding a place that will sell me a 4' x 8' x 3/16" acid-free foamboard to finish it off.  In a city this size, you'd think it would be easy, but nooooooooooooo.  I've found one supplier out in London but that's a 2-hour drive away.  Has anyone ever purchased or know where I can buy one of these in or near Toronto? 

Thank you.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Toronto - 3-sheet Acid-Free Foamboard
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 03:49:28 PM »
You probably could have had it in the time to investigate! I'd probably now just drive it, if you need it. Good luck completing the project, hope you post a photo of the framed 3 sheet  thumbsup.gif

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
*LOL*  No doubt.  I'll very likely just end up making the drive.  It's just that I'm finding it hard to believe that I can't score that foamboard here in Toronto.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
Can you use 2 or 3 large pieces like they sell at Michael's?  Or use wood but put layers of acid free paper in between?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
That's amazing that a 4x8 sheet of acid free, white foam core would be tough to come by, in a city that large. Especially, since that large size sheet is often used by photographers or other kinds of production, local TV stations & that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:24:05 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 05:25:40 PM »
I have a framed Italian 4-foglio which is even larger than 4x8!  I ended up using two paneled pieces of foam core with a horizontal split in front of two more pieces with a vertical split. Seems to be holding up ok so far.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:39:03 PM »
I did some searching online. Above Ground Art Supplies indicates they stock 48x96x0.5 at $134.99.
Curry's said Out of Stock
Gwartzmans wouldn't tell me online, looks like in store only.

Are you trying these places?
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »
Is that $135.00 for a single sheet of foam core?  If so -- faint2.gif

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:20:33 PM »
the only way to get 48x96 sheets of foamcore is to buy a case of 20

probably costs 300-400 at this point in time

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
When I was working in production, we carried & sold individual 4x8 sheets of white/white foam core to a company that would be filming on our stage for 18.00

We also carried b/w (white on one side, black on the other) foamcore, and sold these single sheets for 25.00 a pop.

-Jeff

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »
@ Crazy Vick - I thought about using multiple pieces, but the lady who sold me the frame, who has a great deal of experience and knowledge on the matter, highly recommended using just one piece.  I hadn't thought about using wood with acid-free paper in between...are you aware of anyone that has done this?  Has it held up?

@ Harry Caul - What size sheets would you recommend I use and how should I place them to ensure that the poster doesn't bend or collapse?  The problem that I've encountered is that the largest size I've found in Toronto for acid-free foamboard is 40" x 60" ... my poster is actually 41" X 90 1/4".  So, I don't see how I could use only two sheets (horizontally) in front, backed up by two more sheets (vertically) in back.  Or maybe I'm just not seeing how it could be done.

@ Jayn_J - This very afternoon I started at King and Spadina, walked up to College, across to McCaul and down to King.  I hit DeSerres, Michael's, Gwartzman's, Toose, Above Ground and the OCAD bookstore...I also called Curry's, Uline.ca, bagsunlimited.ca and Carr McLean...none of them had it. 

@MoviePOsterBid.com - I found a few online stores that will sell and ship them to me in cartons of 25.  Way too many.  I eventually plan on putting up four or five 3-sheeters on my walls but 25 is way too many.

@ Erik1925 - $135 is crazy money for a sheet.  The guy I found out in London is going to sell it to me for $39.95 CAD and he's going to cut it to size for me as well.  More than likely I'll just bite the bullet and head out there to get it.  It's just gonna be a pain in the a$$ stuffing it into my Prius and driving 2 hours down the 401 with this gigantic board literally hanging over my head inside the car.  That's how I transported the plexiglass back home but that was only a half hour drive.

Thank you all for your feedback.  It's much appreciated, as always.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 09:52:03 PM »
@MoviePOsterBid.com - I found a few online stores that will sell and ship them to me in cartons of 25.  Way too many.  I eventually plan on putting up four or five 3-sheeters on my walls but 25 is way too many.

@ Erik1925 - $135 is crazy money for a sheet.  The guy I found out in London is going to sell it to me for $39.95 CAD and he's going to cut it to size for me as well.  More than likely I'll just bite the bullet and head out there to get it.  It's just gonna be a pain in the a$$ stuffing it into my Prius and driving 2 hours down the 401 with this gigantic board literally hanging over my head inside the car.  That's how I transported the plexiglass back home but that was only a half hour drive.

you won't get it into a prius and you don't want to put it into anything it doesn't fit well for transport. someone selling them to you for $40 canadian? probably as good as you'll find

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 09:58:52 PM »
rent one of these for 19.95 and you'd still come out on top! See Rich for details.   thumbsup.gif

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
Initially I thought I would have to rent a large van to go and pick it up.  But then I went to pick up the fibreglass, which was flexible and fit into the Prius, with the hatch back closed.  I had the back seats and the front passenger seat flat.  The sheet literally stretched from the top of my windshield (over my head) all the way to the back of the car, right up against hatch.  When I told the guy at the front of the store that I had brought a Prius he looked at me like I was crazy...but it fit perfectly.  So, I thought that the foamboard would be a cinch too.  Do you guys think a foamboard that size is too rigid and/or not as flexible as the plexiglass?  I realize that may be a stupid question but I'm not too experienced at this.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »
Initially I thought I would have to rent a large van to go and pick it up.  But then I went to pick up the fibreglass, which was flexible and fit into the Prius, with the hatch back closed.  I had the back seats and the front passenger seat flat.  The sheet literally stretched from the top of my windshield (over my head) all the way to the back of the car, right up against hatch.  When I told the guy at the front of the store that I had brought a Prius he looked at me like I was crazy...but it fit perfectly.  So, I thought that the foamboard would be a cinch too.  Do you guys think a foamboard that size is too rigid and/or not as flexible as the plexiglass?  I realize that may be a stupid question but I'm not too experienced at this.

#1 when you try to fit foamcore into too small a space, it doesn't work out well for the foamcore

#1.. did you ever hear about "driving safety"?

nono

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 11:25:26 PM »
#1.. did you ever hear about "driving safety"?

#1 The rigidity of the board should be enough to rest comfortably on ones head, but not dip down below eye line to obscure the road. Cornering should be OK as only one hand is required to hold the board, leaving the other hand free to perform the turn.

#1 Alternatively, a friend could accompany the driver and hold the board in place above ones head thus allowing the driver to have full control of the wheel.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:57:11 PM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 12:30:41 AM »
Good luck on getting it home (and in the car) safely.

Foam core isnt as flexible/"bendy" as plexi, and could buckle (crease) if stressed too much.

-Jeff

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 06:22:24 AM »
With respect to the safety concerns; it's not a problem.  Like I said, I drove the plexiglass home.  I did not have to adjust the driver's seat and had full, unimpeded control of the steering wheel.  The sheet was over the headrest of my seat, not resting on my head, and I did not have to hold it up or touch it in any way with my hand.  The only "hazard" was that I could not use my rearview mirror, which, under Ontario's Highway Traffic Act is not illegal (yes, I checked before I went out). 

However, I am worried about buckling or creasing the foamboard...I wasn't sure whether that would be a concern with a sheet this size.  Thank you, erik1925. 

I've looked into various rental options and I've found an agency that will rent me a pick-up truck,with enough cargo space for the sheet, for $50.  U-haul does charge $19.95 per day for a van, but also adds $0.49 per kilometre, which will make my bill $220.

The moral of the story is:  Framing a 3-sheet poster in Toronto is neither cheap nor easy.

Thanks again for all your advice, guys.  Enjoy your weekend.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »
However, I am worried about buckling or creasing the foamboard...I wasn't sure whether that would be a concern with a sheet this size. 

Worried about buckling - you could transport the foam board with the plexi glass underneath for support, ie take the plexi with you for the round trip

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
I forgot the Prius has a hatchback... that should make it much easier.

Good luck in the transport.  :D

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
dont forget to share those pics!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »
Who was the guy in London that you found the board for $39? Was it archival acid free foam board?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
With respect to the safety concerns; it's not a problem.  Like I said, I drove the plexiglass home.  I did not have to adjust the driver's seat and had full, unimpeded control of the steering wheel.  The sheet was over the headrest of my seat, not resting on my head, and I did not have to hold it up or touch it in any way with my hand.  The only "hazard" was that I could not use my rearview mirror, which, under Ontario's Highway Traffic Act is not illegal (yes, I checked before I went out). 

However, I am worried about buckling or creasing the foamboard...I wasn't sure whether that would be a concern with a sheet this size.  Thank you, erik1925. 

I've looked into various rental options and I've found an agency that will rent me a pick-up truck,with enough cargo space for the sheet, for $50.  U-haul does charge $19.95 per day for a van, but also adds $0.49 per kilometre, which will make my bill $220.

The moral of the story is:  Framing a 3-sheet poster in Toronto is neither cheap nor easy.

Thanks again for all your advice, guys.  Enjoy your weekend.

Were you able to pick up the foam core without too much problem? Hope it went smoothly.  :)

-Jeff

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
Success!  I finally found a place in Toronto that not only was able to provide me with the 4' x 8' Bainbridge Artcare foamboard, but cut it to size for me as well.  It's a little pricier than the one in London ($95 CAD) but, taking into account the truck rental, gas and time costs, I think it was a better deal for me.  Here's their website for anyone that might one day confront this situation:

http://frameitonbloor.com/

@ BigMike - The guy I found in London works here:  chops.ca  

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »
Hello erik1925 - looks like you and I were cosmically linked there *LOL*  See above.  thumbsup.gif