Author Topic: A couple of new RR prints  (Read 17996 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
A couple of new RR prints
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »
A couple of oldies as I continue to slowly fill in the holes in my Alamo/Rolling Roadshow collection

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Freefall

Re: A couple of new RR prints
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »
OMG!! I WANT!!!! BOTH!!

They're awesome  ;D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »
Never seen those before. Especially like the POTA...nice catch, Schan.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
A couple of oldies as I continue to slowly fill in the holes in my Alamo/Rolling Roadshow collection

Schan, how many of each poster were printed back then?  Also, did you say you put together a list of the early RRs?  Perhaps you could put it up on Google documents as a "shared" document and we could all update it - putting detailed info about each print - print run, date, etc.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
Carson was preparing a comprehensive schedule - I did form the impression this was going to be for the benefit of all and i gladly provided him with information.

Mark

Freefall

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »
I would love to see this list. AHORA!!!

:)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »
I have one mostly done though it will be missing a lot of the newer releases.  I will work on it over the next couple of months and get it up on google docs.  I have to wait a while because my trial version of office expired, and I left my software at home.  My wife will be mailing it to me, but it will be late september before I have it. 

To answer your question Mel, they were generally around 100 (Once Upon a Time in the West for example).  Those are both numbered, but I won't know the run until I see them, since I dont see the info listed anywhere else.  The one I know that was much smaller was Jaws with a run of 30.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
I have one mostly done though it will be missing a lot of the newer releases.  I will work on it over the next couple of months and get it up on google docs.  I have to wait a while because my trial version of office expired, and I left my software at home.  My wife will be mailing it to me, but it will be late september before I have it. 

To answer your question Mel, they were generally around 100 (Once Upon a Time in the West for example).  Those are both numbered, but I won't know the run until I see them, since I dont see the info listed anywhere else.  The one I know that was much smaller was Jaws with a run of 30.

First off, that Planet of the Apes is my favorite of the 2005 RR posters (far better than Slater's mosaics). The Last Picture Show, Bullitt and possibly Repo Man (need to see it in person) are other nice ones from that year. 

As for print runs, the largest runs were Jay Ryan's Close Encounters with 220 and Todd Slater's Repo Man with 200.  Hud had just 30 copies, which, if I remember correctly, all sold at the screening, making it one difficult bastard to come across.  It Came From Outer Space had 65.  North by Northwest was originally to be done by another artist, but they dropped out at the last minute, leaving Rob Jones to come to the rescue.

Jaws was actually a 2006 RR release.  A couple of copies, and I do mean a couple, sold online through Mondo and a few others sold through the artist.  Had I known there were only 30, I would have picked one up while I was giving everyone else the heads up.

The early mondo/alamo/RR threads are still in the NSFGE archives.  The mid-period/current mondo threads are tagged, making them easier to find.

Yankees Suck...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Archie.  As far as the others from '06 go:

I can't remember there being a number on either of the Searchers prints, nor do I know if there were less of one or the other.  The day print is the superior one, IMO. 

Field of Dreams -- 165
Warriors (Dixon) -- Unnumbered
Warriors (Stout) -- 210 (there were i believe 2 variants, but I dont know the run on them)
The Shining -- 90
Clerks -- 160 for the silver, 37 for the gold.  The silver was later released on mondo and on the artists site as an unsigned unnumbered edition.
Ferris Bueller -- 410
Escape From Alcatraz -- Unnumbered
Poseidon Adventure -- Unnumbered
Raising Arizona -- not sure, but its undoubtedly one of the worst of the series

Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:01:50 AM »
 My comments in orange...

As far as the others from '06 go:

I can't remember there being a number on either of the Searchers prints, nor do I know if there were less of one or the other.  The day print is the superior one, IMO.  I believe that they were equal runs.

Field of Dreams -- 165 Most of the run sold at the event.
Warriors (Stout) -- 210 (there were i believe 2 variants, but I dont know the run on them) One was a metallic red ink variant with a very small edition size (25?), not sure about the other...
The Shining -- 90 (one of my favorite prints)
Clerks -- 160 for the silver, 37 for the gold.  The silver was later released on mondo and on the artists site as an unsigned unnumbered edition. Beware if you are looking for one of these on the secondary market.  There was a second edition of both, still available through Kevin Smith's website, that have an easily erasable 'second edition' pencil notation.
Ferris Bueller -- 410 The poster that really kicked off Alamo's first wave...
Poseidon Adventure -- Unnumbered
Raising Arizona -- not sure, but its undoubtedly one of the worst of the series - it was a small run (50?) that wasn't small enough, u-g-l-y it ain't got no alibi...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 05:04:31 AM »
My further comments in green.

My comments in orange...

As far as the others from '06 go:

I can't remember there being a number on either of the Searchers prints, nor do I know if there were less of one or the other.  The day print is the superior one, IMO. I believe that they were equal runs.

Field of Dreams -- 165 Most of the run sold at the event. A great poster close up
Warriors (Stout) -- 210 (there were i believe 2 variants, but I dont know the run on them) One was a metallic red ink variant with a very small edition size (25?), not sure about the other... The initial red variant run was 55
The Shining -- 90 (one of my favorite prints) Mine too
Clerks -- 160 for the silver, 37 for the gold.  The silver was later released on mondo and on the artists site as an unsigned unnumbered edition. Beware if you are looking for one of these on the secondary market.  There was a second edition of both, still available through Kevin Smith's website, that have an easily erasable 'second edition' pencil notation. The gold variant was actually an edition size of 40 - thank you for that warning about the second run as I am still looking for a silver edition
Ferris Bueller -- 410 The poster that really kicked off Alamo's first wave... Understandably - a great design
Poseidon Adventure -- Unnumbered The edition run was 250
Raising Arizona -- not sure, but its undoubtedly one of the worst of the series - it was a small run (50?) that wasn't small enough, u-g-l-y it ain't got no alibi...

Mark

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
Archie,

On the Clerks, were all 1st release prints signed and numbered? Also, where were the 2nd release prints marked with pencil? I bought a Clerks (gold edition) around 6 months ago and this one has no signature or edition size marked anywhere.

Cj

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
My gold Clerks is numbered out of 40 but not signed - I bought it directly from Alamo when it was first released.

Mark

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
On the Clerks, were all 1st release prints signed and numbered? Also, where were the 2nd release prints marked with pencil? I bought a Clerks (gold edition) around 6 months ago and this one has no signature or edition size marked anywhere.

For the original release, a number of silvers and a few gold sold through mondo.  A good chunk of the original gold version was damaged beyond saleability in transit to mondo, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were far fewer than 40 that actually sold.

The majority of the 1st edition run sold at the showing, where Smith signed a bunch.  If you buy the second edition, which, apart from the pencil notation, is identical to the original run, now from his site they are also sign by him (in ink, I am guessing), but this was not the case initially.  I have a low number Gold 2nd edition that was not signed by Smith, but was signed & numbered by Slater in pencil on the bottom right with the 'Second Edition', if memory serves.  

I think that when Slater sold his copies that they may have been sign & numbered, similar to what Stout did with his.

Basically, it's a great big clusterfark...

Where did you get it and who was the seller?

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »
Thanks Mark and Archie.

As for the seller, I purchased it off of Ebay and I can not remember his name for the life of me. He had quite a few Alamo titles at the time. The Clerks print I purchased has two spots where it is damaged on the edges.

Cj