Author Topic: Film Festival Posters  (Read 14820 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Film Festival Posters
« on: January 30, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
A poster for the 1995 Festival du Film Policier de Cognac. It measures 19.75 x 27.5 inches.

From wiki, I read that this was a film festival, held in Cognac, France from 1982-2007 and it focused on the police/crime genre of films.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_du_Film_Policier_de_Cognac )

The poster was created by an artist with the name that looks to be Helki (?), tho I'm not sure on that.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Film Festival Posters
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:57:40 PM »
Whenever I remember to look for them, I try to snag Festival de Cannes posters, but only in large format.  I probably own 20 at this point, but the older ones are hard to get.

A few recent festival posters that I like...

I'm especially fond of the 1st one because it is an amazing drawing by Fellini and it was the world premiere of ET, which was my favorite movie for so many years growing up.

T
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:58:30 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »

A poster for the 1995 Festival du Film Policier de Cognac.

Sounds like a cool festival, and that is a neat concept for the poster, with the film and the handgun and all.  Not often to see something like that, especially for only $1.   cool1

I'm especially fond of the 1st one because it is an amazing drawing by Fellini and it was the world premiere of ET, which was my favorite movie for so many years growing up.

Very nice, and it's cool that it ties into one of your favorite movies, especially with the world premiere.   thumbup thumbup

I picked up this one a couple years ago, on a brief trip to D.C.  From the Environmental Film Festival at the Nation's Capital, at the AFI Silver.  The frog with the film is kinda neat.  :P

Unfortunately, it accidentally was destroyed during my last move.  :(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:39:25 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »

Sounds like a cool festival, and that is a neat concept for the poster, with the film and the handgun and all.  Not often to see something like that, especially for only $1.   cool1

Very nice, and it's cool that it ties into one of your favorite movies, especially with the world premiere.   thumbup thumbup

I picked up this one a couple years ago, on a brief trip to D.C.  The frog with the film is kinda neat.  :P

Unfortunately, it accidentally got destroyed during my last move.  :(

Destroyed? Ugh...    :'(

Sorry to read that. What happened to it, Brandon?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:38:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »
Destroyed? Ugh...    :'(

Sorry to read that. What happened to it, Brandon?

Yeah, it was just mixed in with some stuff that I didn't have the space to keep, and didn't make sense to sell/ship off for consignment, so it got thrown away.  At the time didn't think about gifting to someone locally, as I did a few months later with some other stuff in a similar predicament. 

It was a nice little memento from the trip, seeing the movie with the Alloy Orchestra and meeting them and all, and even though it may never be a multi-million dollar piece, it stinks to lose something like that.  But that's how it goes sometimes.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
Things like that can happen, that's for sure.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »
Hi T,

You wouldn't have the 40th Cannes Festival, per chance?

I actually took a week's holiday to spend time soaking up the atmosphere during that week - a wonderful time.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »
This is my poster for the 1st Mar del Plata International Film Festival. It was used in an exhibition on 2014, 60 years after the first edition.

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 09:23:27 PM »
Nice one, Matias.  thumbup 

It must be darn rare, being from the first festival.  Do you know how many of them are extant?   

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:25:46 PM »
Nice, indeed, Matias.  clap

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
Nice one, Matias.  thumbup 

It must be darn rare, being from the first festival.  Do you know how many of them are extant?   

It is Neo. I know of only another copy in a local museum.
The first festival was organized in 1954 by Juan Domingo Peron's government, that was overthrown the next year. A lot of government documentation and peronist imagery was destroyed by the militar dictatorship that replaced the democratic president. 
Matias

Mirosae

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 05:11:23 AM »
^   + 1 Some posters are so much more than paper Matias. So good it found you, safe at home at last.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 11:14:28 AM »
Hi T,

You wouldn't have the 40th Cannes Festival, per chance?

I actually took a week's holiday to spend time soaking up the atmosphere during that week - a wonderful time.

Yes I do.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »
^   + 1 Some posters are so much more than paper Matias. So good it found you, safe at home at last.

That is exactly why I collect them.  :)
Matias

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:07 AM »
Bloody hell!  Just fantastic.

Trip down memory lane...

Thanks sir.