Author Topic: Rip Repair  (Read 9635 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Rip Repair
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:02:10 AM »
Could someone please give me a rough idea how much it would cost to have a 3 inch tear repaired ??
The poster itself is not particularly valuable,but it may be worth the repair if the price is not too much.

Thanks

Stew

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
Re: Rip Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
is there any paper loss? can you put it together and it looks fine?

if i was you for a cheapish poster, i would get some archival tape and mend from the rear of the poster. you should be able to make it almost invisible. If you want to touch in the tear then you might want to get it to a professional

paul

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »
If you want to touch in the tear then you might want to get it to a professional

I touch up tears/ cracked folds with quality watercolor pencils (ask at local art supplies store). Because they are watercolor, they can wash off with a damp cloth, so it is reversible. If you are patient, the pencils work magic. It is easy, dont worry. I suggest attaching poster to wall when doing the work. Most of mine are on linen so I easily pin em to the wall.   

Speaking of repairs, has anyone heard from Dario, has he dissapeared?

scartacus

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »
Dario did a great job last month for me -- he removed tape residue from a star wars quad, mended some small tears and touched up

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:07:58 PM »
Agree Dario does great work, but i havent seen him on the forum for a while...

also water colour pencils are great for colouring in a simple crack tear mark, for more details stuff, take it to the experts

these people do good materials for basic repairs, not cheep though
http://www.preservationequipment.com/

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
is there any paper loss? can you put it together and it looks fine?

if i was you for a cheapish poster, i would get some archival tape and mend from the rear of the poster. you should be able to make it almost invisible. If you want to touch in the tear then you might want to get it to a professional

paul

Good advice there...
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
Thanks again everyone, there is no paper loss so i think the archival tape idea,will be a great solution.
Would i be able to buy the tape from an art supplies store?

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
I touch up tears/ cracked folds with quality watercolor pencils (ask at local art supplies store).

Thanks for that tip Steve - I'll have to get some of those and try them out.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
Thanks again everyone, there is no paper loss so i think the archival tape idea,will be a great solution.
Would i be able to buy the tape from an art supplies store?

Stew

Stew what you need to find is Filmoplast P90 archival tape.  I could not find it in Canada so I bought some off eBay...check there and maybe have it delivered to your door!  ;)
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »
Stew what you need to find is Filmoplast P90 archival tape.  I could not find it in Canada so I bought some off eBay...check there and maybe have it delivered to your door!  ;)

Excellent Chris Thankyou

:)

Marty Moose

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 03:10:23 AM »
I'll second the watercolour pencil tip (reversible of course).  Here's my efforts on a Point Blank one sheet - I purchased the poster ready backed but with no restoration and some quite obvious fold wear in the coloured areas.  I couldn't justify the costs to post and pay for minor touch ups, so I made myself a cup of tea and set to work experimenting:

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 09:45:51 AM »
Marklawd has kindly loaned me the use of his Archival tape.

I might post pictures of my step by step attempt of repairing my poster so you guys can have a giggle.  ;)

Thanks again Mark

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 11:50:35 AM »
Marklawd has kindly loaned me the use of his Archival tape.

I might post pictures of my step by step attempt of repairing my poster so you guys can have a giggle.  ;)

Im actually interested to see that as I have a few poster tears of my own Id like to work on. Ive been chickening out up til now.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
One word of caution re: archival tape - From what I have been told by restorers, it is probably NOT a good idea to add the archival tape to a poster if you ever think you will have the poster linenbacked. 

Personally, I only use it on posters I know will never be backed. 
Chris

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 03:01:22 PM »
The tape should be removed if you are linen-backing the poster.

Mark

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »
One word of caution re: archival tape - From what I have been told by restorers, it is probably NOT a good idea to add the archival tape to a poster if you ever think you will have the poster linenbacked. 

Thanks for that tip. Just removed two posters from the to be taped list  :)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
Tonight i attempted the repair to the poster that had been damaged.
 So Step 1 is to assess the direction of the tear.. in this case the tear is in two directions. From the poster edge the tear seems to be right hand down first and then switches half way along to right hand up.

Reverse side

Step 2 I brushed down along the tear with a soft bristled make up brush to smooth out the paper.

Step 3 pre cut the archival tape to roughly the correct length in two parts as the tear is in an arc.

Step 4 Apply tape in two stages to cover the tear  on the back side.

Step 5 Turn poster back over and lighly apply black wax crayon to printed side.

Step 6 Lightly brush pencil edge to smooth in the color.

Finished 1st attempt of repair

Any tips from you guys would greatly appreciated,and Brude dont worry..the quad you expressed an interest in is safely tubed and awaiting your pocket money to improve. This one is the spare i had.

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
Nice tape job, except the wax crayon doesn't look black enough.  I have heard that grease pencils (?) are very good at this sort of touch-up.  Only problem here is the wax layer that you have already applied might prevent grease from adhering?

Nice pics, Stew!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
Thanks Brude,i agree the wax crayon/ actually my wifes eyeliner, wasnt the best choice although i think it should be easily removed when i can buy a darker pencil,,the camera flash doesn`t help either..
But other than that i give it a 4/10..

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 06:52:48 PM »
It's going to be very difficult to "hide" the tear (short of airbrushing possibly) on the front of a glossy poster such as that.

Bottom line - glossy, modern posters are a bitch to repair.

But it is still beneficial that you used the archival tape to add structural stability and cease any further tearing...

Chris

Marty Moose

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 03:49:22 AM »
I had to touch up a glossy black poster when my Goodfellas one sheet had a succession of those irritating little dints running up one side.  I actually found it was the easiest to do in terms of colour match, as long as your black is dark enough.  I found the best result came from sharpening a watercolour pencil up so that end was relatively fine and the colouring only went on the area of colourloss and didn't encroach into the surrounding areas.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »

And it seems that the Filmoplast P-90 is water soluble, so were a poster ever to be backed later on, removal of the tape would be quite easy. And the P-90 (vs the Filmoplast P) is described as a "long fibered" tape, which would give additional strength.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:55:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
 ;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 02:11:46 PM »
Lineco is another brand I came across, but the one I looked at requires mineral spirits to dissolve the adhesive, should the tape need to be removed. Mineral spirits and vintage paper, that might be more delicate, doesn't sound like the best mix, imho.

-Jeff