Author Topic: Does anyone remember...?  (Read 19561 times)

Searcher

Does anyone remember...?
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:16:54 PM »
A poster popular in student rooms in the late 70s. It was a twilight sky, tall narrow silhouetted wooden towers (several) linked by catwalks - lights burned in some of the windows. Foreground, off to one side, was a wizard or warrior character. Have trawled the net for hours looking for this. I know two people who remember it and validate the description - anyone able to help?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Does anyone remember...?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:55:42 AM »
That will be a No then.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Is this it?
 imbecile.gif

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »
rofl1

Has anyone else had this happen?  When you only remember a few small details of something, and scour the web trying to find the answer, to no avail.  imbecile.gif  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:45:56 PM by Neo »

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
rofl1

Has anyone else had this happen?  When you only remember a few small details of something, and scour the web trying to find the answer, to no avail.  imbecile.gif  

Yesterday. We were searching for a British 70s spy TV series. No idea of the title. Remember the guy in an office like mi5. He was going home for the weekend but before that he had to open his suitcase to his bosses to show he wasnt carrying any secret papers home. He walked off with umbrella and a leather suitcase. Catching a train. Then grabbing a bike at the station and  going home.

We were talking about how real it felt, and wanted to watch it all but didnt know the title.

So...brits....any ideas?  girly2.gif

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:26:37 AM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:51:53 PM »
And is Ted's find The ONE???  ;D

Hmmm.. we may never know as "Searcher" is no longer a member. So It may remain shrouded in mystery.  hmmm.gif

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
And is Ted's find The ONE???  ;D

Hmmm.. we may never know as "Searcher" is no longer a member. So It may remain shrouded in mystery.  hmmm.gif

Naw, Searcher was looking for something from the 70s, long before the digital piece I posted was created.
And, I think they would've remembered the pumpkin-eating toads.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
One I always wanted to find, there was a 4 horsemen poster on a friends wall in the mid 80's, amazing art. Never seen one before or since.

The art on the 61' onesheet isnt bad, but this poster was more fantasy (not Boris's).

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
Who remembers going to the opening night (or, daytime sometimes) of a movie and the ushers handing out opening night programs? By the 1970s and 1980s, this was pretty rare in Oklahoma, though I remember distinctly programs being handed out for Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Outsiders.  Was this still common in big cities on the East and West coast of the U.S.?  Other countries?   Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 01:10:33 AM »
Not in France.  I don't think we ever had anything handed out.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
Who remembers going to the opening night (or, daytime sometimes) of a movie and the ushers handing out opening night programs? By the 1970s and 1980s, this was pretty rare in Oklahoma, though I remember distinctly programs being handed out for Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Outsiders.  Was this still common in big cities on the East and West coast of the U.S.?  Other countries?   Okie

I grew up in the mid-west and seem to recall this from time to time, too, Okie. But it was not for every movie shown.

-Jeff

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »
This is usual for London premieres - the only non-premiere screening I can recall receiving a brochure was for Appocalypse Now - that was something to do with there being no opening credits.

Mark

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »
Talking of movies one has seen, but even though you (think you) remember the title, you cannot find any mention of it anywhere.

I saw a movie in the UK called The London Connection.  It was in the very late 70's, maybe very early 80's.  It riffed on the Bond elements, had a chap who handed out gadgets and at the time, I thought a very homage (rip off).

Right now though, and for years, I can find no mention of it.

Bloody hell.  I have now had another look and it seems it is now on IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079481/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Since I had written, searched during, found and edited my own post, it seems this post is a candidate for deletion as opposed to posting...  Oh well.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
This is usual for London premieres - the only non-premiere screening I can recall receiving a brochure was for Appocalypse Now - that was something to do with there being no opening credits.

Mark

The 'programmes' Okie I believe is talking about are the same as what we would call Synopsis.  And in the case of synopsis, these were handed out to the UK press.

Can I ask what you're referring to in the case of premieres, as I believe you would be talking about premiere brochures.  Not synopsis.  And these would not be given out, rather sold to further help the charitable causes associated to the premiere.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
I was referring to London Film Festival opening night films where you get a pretty crap programme for the film on your seat. I remember paying for a glossy brochure for the Quantum of Solace premiere - that is maybe what you are referring to - but Roads to Perdition, the programme was free. At the Kagemusha opening night we all got a press pack containing a synopsis and stills amongst other things - or maybe that was a press screening? It's a long time ago.

In conclusion I don't think any of this has any relevance to Okie's question so I'll get my coat.

Mark

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
Ah, ok.  Film Festivals I was never there for.

As for Okie's point, the US programmes are indeed like our synopsis.  I am collecting them for the Bond films and they did peter out in the 80's.

They also call them screening cards and cast lists.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
Hi Simes and Mark,  Here is one from The Outsiders circa 1982.  It uses the same David Grove art that was used for the movie tie-in paperback edition. I took a picture of the front, back, and part of the inside when unfolded open. My best, Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
The Outsiders back cover.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
Yup - that's them.

What else do you call them?  Was I about right with the variety of names?

The last one I have for the Bonds is Licence to Kill.  1989.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
Yup - that's them.

What else do you call them?  Was I about right with the variety of names?

The last one I have for the Bonds is Licence to Kill.  1989.
Hi Simes,  I've only called them movie programs or theater programs.  I was glad to hear about your 1989 program/synopsis for Licencse to Kill!  I wonder what may be the latest year these were handed out at cities other than the official movie star red carpet premiere?  Okie