Author Topic: Poster Nirvana!  (Read 7498 times)

Meansheets

Poster Nirvana!
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »
Hey there All Poster Forumers!
This is my first post on APF (so hopefully I'm in the right place for this announcement), but I have a movie poster blog called Meansheets.com and I'm always looking for interesting collectors/websites/ideas to feature on my site and today I've got the coolicious collection of Mel from Poster Nirvana...

http://meansheets.com/2010/08/03/poster-nirvana-rocks/

And in the past, I've already featured your wonderful host, Thierry...

So if you or anyone you know has some super poster coups, let me know!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:56:49 PM by eatbrie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Poster Nirvana!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
I've got the coolicious collection of Mel from Poster Nirvana...

So if you or anyone you know has some super poster coups, let me know!

Wow - thanks for the publicity for my little creation!  I guess the bribe worked (just kidding)

Of course there are lots of other collections/sites better than mine - I nominate Holiday's collection for starters:

www.mypostercollection.com

Nobody on the planet has a better Japanese collection than H.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »
Holiday is gay (Wow, that rhymes, I'm so proud of myself).

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Welcome Russ!

T
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:57:11 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Meansheets

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:44:32 PM »
Okay, I'll check it out! Haven't done too many Japanese posters on the site...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »
BTW, Russ, so you know, Holiday is my partner in crime on this forum. 

I'm the brain, he's the bronze.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
Inspired by Ed's fantastic FilmOnPaper.com, I just finished a major upgrade to PosterNirvana.com.  Check it out and give me your thoughts.  (Constructive thoughts only please!)

The revised site has all of my 1150 posters, better galleries, higher quality pictures, larger pictures (many are 900pixels), and I've made short comment "captions" for many of the posters.

The major problem with the revision is that the individual galleries do not have links back to the home page. I'll try to fix that in the future. For now, each gallery will open in a separate page (or tab).  You have to close each gallery separately.  (The home page will still be open, unless you specifically close it.)

This is the home page (click on this image to go there):

These are the gallery links:

This is an example gallery:

This is an example picture (with caption comment) that opens when you click the smaller thumbnail:

I built the new galleries with Aperture, a professional photo organizer from Apple that only costs $80.  I created "Smart Webpages" which automatically update every time I import and keyword new images.

I do have to manually export the pages to my website, which is a pain.  You can also export them to MobileMe, which I don't like.

In the spirit of collaboration, don't hesitate to download any images from the site for your own collection.  Although the images have generic names (picture-19.jpg), they are all "tagged" by decade, genre, etc. and those tags will show up in any image organizer. I'd love to see more people posting their collections!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:42:36 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »
Nice job Mel ! I wish I had the dedication to do the revamp that Ive been planning for 6+ months on ADP ! ;)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
Nice job Mel ! I wish I had the dedication to do the revamp that Ive been planning for 6+ months on ADP ! ;)

Agreed. Good work again.

I like the galleries. Especially the Bond and ofcourse the Star Trek  ;) :).

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »
Looking good Mel :)

One suggestion would be to remove the word 'caption' from each page and just have the note that you write on its own (without that preface).
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
A fine job all-around.
What impresses me the most are the posters. 
All genres.  All styles.
Epic collection, Mel!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:27 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, the Aperture webpage template is not customizable, so I can only make limited changes.

With all the fuss about copyright, I put a generic copyright notice under each picture: "Copyright by respective production studio and/or distributor."

However, I found an even better copyright notice on a blog:

Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone. All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, the Aperture webpage template is not customizable, so I can only make limited changes.

With all the fuss about copyright, I put a generic copyright notice under each picture: "Copyright by respective production studio and/or distributor."

However, I found an even better copyright notice on a blog:

Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone. All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

The Dude abides.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:13:43 AM »
Added three new galleries that may be of interest. That's the beauty of using an image organizer and keywording your images. You can quickly create a gallery for any particular subgenre.  It would take forever to manually go through and pick these categories out.

Re-release posters

Diversity posters

Foreign films (I may have mislabeled a couple of these)

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »
WOW guys im gona have to think of my collection when it gets off the ground from travis I'll need a web site for my selfgota ask the isp for the logon info  :-)
some realy nice sites there !!!!

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 12:02:13 AM »
found out the isp droped web hosting  :(   
so anyone know a free ad free hosting service
im going to use front page 2000 to build it  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
I asked that this be moved to the personal collections.

I've fully updated the PosterNirvana site and all galleries and deleted the 100+ posters I've given away, sold, or consigned.  Now my collection is down to a more manageable 950 posters, rather than 1100.  I plan to keep it below 1,000.

Added these galleries:

Non-US One sheets

My Rare Posters

My Wacky/Weird Posters

Updated and reorganized My Movie Art Prints & Posters (adding my Kilians)

I don't know who owns this disgraceful and shameful collection and I most definitely would NOT check it out if I were you (or at least not while the wife/girlfriend is around)  ;)

NFPV posters
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:08:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »

Great stuff, all around!  clap

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
Great stuff, all around!  clap

Yep. The non US, the rare and the NPV are all excellent! Great job again Mel.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
Looking great Mel  8)

Oh, and whoever owns those NFPV posters is one flithy muddyfunster!  wow1
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:57:48 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »
A very handsome website and a cool collection too, Mel. It's nice to navigate and fun to browse the different galleries, you've got some beauts in your collection.

I'm in the doghouse with my wife though as I'm always drooling over people's poster websites and adding to my 'want list', although I use you guys as an excuse to show her how mild my addiction is in comparison :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 09:28:12 PM »
I've updated and reorganized PosterNirvana.com.  I've categorized my pre-1980 posters either as "first release" or "re-release."  Unfortunately, I now realize I have too many re-releases!

I've also differentiated my video, reprints, etc. in the Other Posters section at the bottom of the main page.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:28:23 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »
I've updated and reorganized PosterNirvana.com.  I've categorized my pre-1980 posters either as "first release" or "re-release."  Unfortunately, I now realize I have too many re-releases!

I've also differentiated my video, reprints, etc. in the Other Posters section at the bottom of the main page.

Hey Mel, Does your DS Black Swan really have "December" versus "This Fall"  I started a thread and actually E-mailed Bemis Balkind (to no response; guess the general contact e-mail gets passed over)(T you need to get me a personal e-mail from the Academy directory) about the two versions.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3352.0.html

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 07:10:24 AM »
Hey Mel, Does your DS Black Swan really have "December" versus "This Fall"  I started a thread and actually E-mailed Bemis Balkind (to no response; guess the general contact e-mail gets passed over)(T you need to get me a personal e-mail from the Academy directory) about the two versions.

Mine has "This Fall," Captain Ahab!

Charlie

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »
Mine has "This Fall," Captain Ahab!

Sorries, Just trying to nail down if the "December" version exists...