Author Topic: Favorite Purchases of 2015  (Read 30511 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Favorite Purchases of 2015
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »
It's that time of the year again. 

I bought 1,257 posters so far this year.  Not the best year, but a good one in term of quality.  I still had a hard time going through them all but these are, I think, my top 25 favorite purchases (note that I didn't say best, just the ones that matter to me most).

Now, comments are always welcome, but this is not really the purpose of this thread, since most of these posters have been posted before.  The purpose of this thread is to see what kind of damage we can do as a group in the poster world.

C'mon, don't be shy, show us your best goodies.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
Re: Favorite Purchases of 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:03:36 AM »
Some beautiful posters there, T.

Here are my favorites from 2015.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:06:19 AM by DekeThornton »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
In think the two posters of most import for me were the;

1. Goldfinger Hand Quad
2. You Only Live Twice teaser poster (the red writing on yellow background)

The art, where applicable, is very well known.  Where not applicable, it is beyond basic but the rarity is for me the kicker.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 06:30:38 AM »
A picture speaks a thousand words.  :)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:52:22 AM »
Indeed.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:43:40 PM by erik1925 »

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Thank you! Very nice indeed. Do you plan to back the Goldfinger or leave as is?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 10:46:17 AM »
I will leave as is.

I should apologise for the photo.  For some reason it has appeared out of focus, and the blacks a little grey.  It is better in person than here.

It is also on a very thick card stock.  Thicker I think than for the normal 'racier' UK quad.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 09:46:38 PM »
Wow T, I had prepared a post about Faves of 2015 as well and was going to post it soon. Duh... Of COURSE it would be a time-honored thing to do that on here already. I ramble (as i do) but...

Here's my Top 10 for 2015 in descending order:

10. THE SLAUGNTER (?) (Ghana):

Oh my stars! I was late to the Ghana thang. i know it's been somewhat of a phenomena for a while now, but i only learned of the whole thing this year. I saw some of them and they were just so awful/unique/primitive/cool I really wanted one...but they were going for hundreds and thousands of dollars! Yikes!

I was watching this one for a while...It would come up and not sale, come up and not sale. I wasn't sure if it was because the title was obviously misspelled (The Slaugnter? Maybe The Slaughter?  But what is The Slaughter?) or what.  The price was the lowest i have ever seen a Ghana poster and I decided to go for it.I'm glad i did. Not only is it just so groovy ghoulie cool, it's an original painting (on a rice flour sack!). There's not another one like it. I am also thinking it's a zombie flick, possibly THE zombie flick; ZOMBIE based on elements in the poster. Wow! Wow! WOW!  I can NOT wait to get this puppy framed and on the wall.

9. BLOOD FEAST

Nothing so appalling in the history of horror! Zowie! Here is a Bucket List poster--the original gore film, Herschell Gordon Lewis' seminal BLOOD FEAST!!!! This is a gorehound's holy grail...well, ONE of them anyway! Until this flick, the screen had never been so filled with blood and gore, Playboy Playmate Connie Mason stars in this mid-60s drive-in epic. Lewis followed this up with titles such as TWO THOUSAND MANIACS, COLOR ME BLOOD RED, THE WIZARD OF GORE, THE GORE-GORE GIRLS and others. He also made nudie cuties such as GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE BARES, B-O-I-N-N-G!, and softcore soap operas like SUBURBAN ROULETTE and SCUM OF THE EARTH!

8. NEKROMANTIK (German):

When I first saw this film 15 or 20 years ago (whenever it came out), I never dreamed I'd someday own the poster for it as it was a German film that premiered on video here. At the time I was only buying U.S. one sheets. I wouldn't have had a clue back then of how to even go about obtaining a foreign poster. It was only after joining APF that I dared to stick my toes into the international poster field...and voila!  I now have this creepy, ghoulish classic! Stunning!

7. THE TINGLER

This was one of my "possible dreams"/Bucket List posters that i scored over the past year. Hooray! I love gimmicks, so naturally the posters for the gimmick-rich horror films of William Castle would be in my sights. I now have most of his major gimmick horror movie posters--except one (the most expensive one of all. YIKES!), The Tingler has eluded me for decades. The gimmick for the film was that during the movie this creature (the titular tingler) was supposed to break out of the screen and into the audience. If it got you the only thing you could do to save yourself was to SCREAM! When the tingler escaped, the screen went black. Only Vincent Price's narration, telling audiences to scream for their lives could be heard...as well as the screams from those attacked by the tingler!!!  (Well, the attacking tingler was really the gimmick of the movie, Percepto! Percepto was just a small low-volt shocks administered to the bottom of the seats of unsuspecting theater goers! That sure scared the yell out of them). FABULOUS!!!

6. BEACH PARTY

Yes, believe it or not, this was another "possible dreams"/bucket list poster, I have had all of the other BEACH PARTY sequel posters (and several wanna be knockoffs) for years--but the original was always out surfing me at auction. I always wiped out at the last minute. Argh!  But this little beach bunny is finally mine. The first and BEST of the Beach Party flicks!

Nothin' is better than the sand, surf, and salt air.
Unrack pour boards just as soon as we get there.
Stack 'em in the sand 'til they're breakin' just right.
Yea, we're surfin' all day and we're swingin' all night.
Vacation is here... BEACH PARTY tonight!

Yes, i know the lyrics. Ha! Here, you can sing along with Frankie and Annette yourself (and tell me how much hairspray Annette has to have on her big 'do as they zoom down Hwy 1. Man!):

https://youtu.be/xbq_aVG7DCk

5.THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU

I'm still not sure how i feel about getting this poster--but it's on my Top 10 list anyway, because (I think) I SHOULD be excited about it. When it was auctioned off on eMovie earlier this year, they said it was "rare" and the first one sheet for the movie they had ever auctioned off. It does star Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre, too...you can't go wrong with them; it's just the condition of the poster that has me uneasy. i don't want to linenback it--but it needs some help. Jeff suggested a gel backing (and that sounds promising, the little I've read on it so far), but i just don't know if that will be enough. Hmm. It is nice--just a little rougher than i like 'em.(And that tape stain in the top center is going to drive me bonkers!)

4.  SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS:

Yes, this is actually on my list for favorite purchases for 2015. Amazingly this was also on my "possible dreams" bucket list.  I have been after one of these for years...they've always eluded me and the prices have slowly risen over the years...  i nabbed this one though, while the nabbing was good. You spell it S-A-N-T-A C-L-A-U-S, Hooray for Sant-y Claus!!! Zowie!  And starring a pre-pube (barely)  Pia Zadora who is painted GREEN!  Awesomeness!

3. WHITE SLAVES OF CHINATOWN:

This would probably have been No. 2 on my list, if the whole ordeal of getting it had been a better experience. I have been searching for this poster for years. You almost never see them. This is probably the rarest poster i bought this year---and I somehow ended up buying THREE of them. WTF!?! Those who visit my thread may remember how I had battled to win the first one that came up on eMovie--and won it...only to be told afterwards that there was an error in the listing and the poster had been trimmed by an inch on the bottom. I gave the poster up...but battled for it a second time when it came up for auction again (this time clearly labeled it was trimmed). i paid way too much and was not happy with the trimmed poster.

Then one came up in the Everett Auction--untrimmed. Another costly bidding battle ensued and i got it for far too much money. It was untrimmed, but it was also kind of beat up.

A third one came up for in a lot on eBay. it was really thrashed, but for some reason i could not let it go. $80 later, the trashed one was mine as well.

Three of the same poster--not happy with any of them really...but i finally have one...er, THREE!  This is the Everett copy below (it looks in better shape than it really is):

2. THE MAN WHO CRIED WOLF:

Oh man, i could NOT leave out this gorgeous poster from the old Universal thriller from 1937. While it's not one of the classic monster films, it's still of the period and I think it is just gorgeous! I got this early in the year, just days before i was accepted into APF. This would probably have been my No. 1 favorite poster, but this was something I just stumbled on. (No. 1 had been on my radar for decades!). I can't wait to get this one framed and up too. Look at the color and the lettering. Wow! Gorgeous, i tell. Just GORGEOUS!

1. KING KONG (1956 Re-release):

Since I'll never be able to afford an original KING KONG, this was my ideal alternative, the 1956 re-release poster. This had been at the top of my "possible dreams" bucket list forever...until last summer when it became mine. While I paid too much money for it (this was the MOST expensive poster I ever purchased. With auction fees, shipping, etc. on top of the sell price, it was more than $1,000. Yikes! When it got here, I was feeling a little bit ripped off as I thought the grading had been exaggerated somewhat (hmm). But it is still a gorgeous poster. And it's mine--FINALLY!

Oh man! This list was far harder than i thought it would be. I've had to delete several things in favor of others! Golly! This was an exceptional movie year for me, I guess. There were so many good posters this year...So many bucket list posters, too!  Just some of the things I had to leave off include the original JAWS, the super rare 2012 and 2013 HALLOWEEN re-releases, giant monster movies like REPTILICUS, VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE and KONGA, wonderful cheese like MOVIE STAR AMERICAN STYLE, my beautiful and different BEYOND THE DOOR poster or any of the stunning Thai posters I now own.

When you have too many good posters to fit into your Top 10, you know it was a good poster year! May 2016 be an even BETTER poster year for ALL of us!

CHEERS!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:57:49 PM by Monster_A_GoGo »
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:51:13 PM »
^ Yes, you had a super year MAGG, congratulations. You have the collecting bug more than I reckon, Mel, who used to be here. APF seemed to revolve around him, for better or worse. Good luck with your extended hibernations and refocusing on fewer but more pricey purchases  thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:56:04 AM »
Of the 4 that posted, I like how our collections are so radically different so far.  This is really what collecting is all about, what pleases you most, regardless of what other people collect or think of what you collect.  It's first and foremost a personal endeavor, but we can still all learn from our respective interests.

T
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:56:59 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 02:12:07 AM »
I dont buy a lot these days, so its relatively easy for me.

FAREWELL UNCLE TOM/ADDIO ZIO TOM German A1
I had a LOT of these at one stage from a bulk deal I got from germany (paid by weight)
I meant to keep one for myself, and had so many I thought I wouldnt run out, then DID.
So I was pleased to get another (2), one to KEEP FOREVER, now safe in my case of NEVER SELL

Got a lot of new Hell Drivers stuff, as some may have noticed but this stands out as one of the best. Again German A1.

But the Japanese is also a contender

Cant remember what Hammer things I got this year, but not many, so Ill choose this as best (as its one of the best in all the aussie hammer anyway) AU 1 Sheeter

That'll do.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
So that's it?  Only 4 people bought posters they're happy with in 2015?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
i did not buy a lot of posters this year, but this one is my fav:

Sublime movie from a great director with a simple yet bold poster design that brings to mind old school tattoo artistry.  Oh, and its somewhat hard to find

UK 40x60
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »
I have more than 1, for sure, but i asked for volunteers and she raised her hand
Howard Chandler Christy WW1 30x40
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:34:21 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »
I've been spending most of my efforts on Marquee Poster for-sale stuff and I don't want to clutter this area with those buys.  I did sneak in a few special personal purchases though.  This pair probably being my favs...

First release Roman Holiday Russian B1 1960 on the right, original art on the left.

guest4754

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 12:28:39 AM »
Gonna be hard to pick just a few, considering I just started collecting in 2015 and I really don't buy many poster I don't  really love. Well here goes:

Suspiria JP B2 style 1 and 2

Phenomena JP B2 style 1 and 2

Deep Red locandina

Deep Red JP B2

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage locandina

Black Christmas OS

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key 2f

...Might as well make it 10

4 Flies on Grey Velvet locandina(rare re-release???)

Ok I'm done, those are definitely the highlights.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 01:27:35 AM »
Finally!  My God, it's like pulling teeth around here.  Nice stuff people.  Keep' em coming.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 03:43:03 AM »
Here's a few of my faves from this past year...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 05:23:33 AM »
I will limit myself to three, all of which I have posted before.

I spent literally years looking for this quad on ebay after passing on one in poor condition with a torn corner. In the end I purchased this near mint rolled copy at a discounted price from the only dealer I knew who had one. The image is so haunting and looks great in horizontal format.

I was really happy to win this quad (first printing) portraying the great man himself and his warning.

Finally, one of my greatest bargains - this rare one sheet, listed at $59.95 on ebay by a collectibles dealer who should have known better.

Mark

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
I've been spending most of my efforts on Marquee Poster for-sale stuff and I don't want to clutter this area with those buys.  I did sneak in a few special personal purchases though.  This pair probably being my favs...

First release Roman Holiday Russian B1 1960 on the right, original art on the left.

nice poster Matt.  I noticed you said Russian B1, can you list the Russian standard sizes? I was perusing EMP's auction last sunday (too bad about that Kommunist dude...) and the poster sizes are all over the place!  Sort of like their foreign policy.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/tag/nation%253ARussia/16.html

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 10:16:07 AM »
I WISH Russia had standard sizes!  There seems to be zero consistency and no official names of posters sizes over there so I just pick whatever is closest to other standard Eastern European sizes.  In this case, Roman Holiday is ~60x100cm so I just labeled it "B1" as it was pretty close to the normal 70x100cm B1. 

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 11:41:29 AM »
Some truly spectacular stuff here from all of you. I tried like hell to narrow the list down but in the end I think these five would be my winners for 2015. Not surprising to most they are Star Wars related.

#1 With a bullet I did not actually buy but makes the list because it was a wedding gift from a truly awesome lady, our one and only Rosa. Thank you Rosa!
Empire Strikes Back Italian Advance one sheet. A unicorn off the list.

#2 Return of the Jedi style B three sheet. Another unicorn off the list.

#3 Star Wars Mardi Gras Yoda. Years and years of trying to land one, actually decades. It is now framed and going on the wall tonight. A herd of unicorns off the list.

#4 Hungarian Return of the Jedi Proof and poster from the artist Tibor's estate.

#5 Empire Strikes Back Purple Uncut Proof.  Another unicorn off the list.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:46:35 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »
It's great to see all these fine additions for 2015. I feel kind of sad though that I don't have anything worth posting. Maybe I'm in the wrong hobby.  :-\

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »
This thread isn't OUR favorite purchases of 2015 skyjackers... it's YOURS! 

Here is another one of mine.  Original Tibor Helenyi art for the Hungarian Alien poster. 

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
Yes skyjackers post your favourite one, it doesn't need to compete with others... It could be a poster that took a long time to finally complete a mini collection , but of itself not wonderful, but most satisfying to obtain regardless.

I can't remember what I got this year, in fact had a lean past 3 or more years, so here is one I got a month or two ago that I do remember.