Collecting and Collectibles in Other Areas > Show Us Your Other Collectibles

A UK Chromolithograph From 1920

(1/3) > >>

erik1925:
On Sunday, I decided to drive over to a second hand shop not far from me. I hadn't been there in probably a year or more. In a stack of framed "things" on the floor was this-- a framed and matted color chromolithograph, printed in London, in 1920, entitled "Widdicombe Fair." The artist is a gentleman named TF Richards. It is signed and dated in the print (dated 1919-the year the original was created by Richards).

The print itself measures approx 12x25"; with the mat and frame, it is 15x28 inches.

What caught my eye, too, were the tags on the back. At some time in the past, it was sold by a shop on Orcas Island, WA, called Darvill's Rare Print Shop. The proprietor of that shop signed and described the piece, on this tag, along with his sales price.

2 other tags on the back showed that it was custom framed by a professional framer, in Belleview, WA, who used Tru View™ UV Conservation Glass.

I was sold.

The print has a bit of foxing here and there (as can be seen, and was likely this way, when it was framed), and I pointed this out to the seller. She saw that, sold it to me for $16.00 USD, and off I went.

Here are a few shots. I think it's a very interesting piece, and thanks again, to Paul Waines, for giving me some insight into what Widdicombe Fair was (and still is, to this day), as well as some info on the lithographer - a name he knew of (Vincent Brooks, Day & Son, Ltd).

I've looked for comps, but haven't found any yet. Most sites seem to carry reproduction prints only.

Ari:
Nice, I seem to say this to you a lot, but I would have bought it also. Well Done.

marklawd:
Thanks Jeff - this brings back happy memories for me of a childhood holiday in Devon - but also a nightmare! Any chance you could enlarge the image of the skeletons bottom right?

Mark

erik1925:
Hi Mark.

Will do. I will try and take a clear snap of the skeleton panel.

Jeff

erik1925:
Here you are, Mark.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version