Author Topic: ANTON GROT  (Read 2314 times)

Mirosae

ANTON GROT
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
Anton Grot at United Artists created one of the most recognised images in film history. He later became Warner Brothers Head of the Art Department until his retirement in 1948.

For The Thief of Bagdad he created several posters. Each unique and beautiful. Here is a small snapshot. To me this is a match made in heaven. A perfect film with the perfect film poster.

The Artist with his creation

The Poster

WC

HS sold in 2013. I cried a river over this. Which brings me to the question. Why didn't I try harder to get it.

The "other" version
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:44:40 AM by Mirosae »

Offline lynaron

• Collector
Re: ANTON GROT
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:07:20 PM »
100% in agreement. His work was outstanding.  I have the THIEF souvenir program with the flying horse artwork. The only affordable piece for me. 

Lynn
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Mirosae

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 02:54:51 PM »
100% in agreement. His work was outstanding.  I have the THIEF souvenir program with the flying horse artwork. The only affordable piece for me. 

Lynn

Ohhhh Lynn!! You are so lucky! Is it like the one Bruce sold in 2005? It is a gorgeous artwork. You live in poster heaven! Hope you can share a pic

:)

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
Rosa These are top notch! I am not familiar with either the artist or the film, so it is nice to see new stuff!!!
This Space For Rent!

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 07:15:25 AM »
Rosa These are top notch! I am not familiar with either the artist or the film, so it is nice to see new stuff!!!

Hi Chris, glad you like this. I thought you might! I think he influenced a lot of film makers and artists. Heard of any of these?

Gold Diggers (1933).
Waltz scene It is very "Disney" now

And look who was supervising all the artistic work

ANTON GROT (Art director) discussing set with director He is the one with the pencil.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:16:41 AM by Mirosae »

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 04:13:55 PM »
Ohhhh Lynn!! You are so lucky! Is it like the one Bruce sold in 2005? It is a gorgeous artwork. You live in poster heaven! Hope you can share a pic

:)

Not from Bruce, I've had it for years and years.  Unfortunately, it is one of the many resting in a file cabinet in New Orleans, out of my reach.  crying
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.