Author Topic: A 19th C Silver Albumen Photo  (Read 10392 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
A 19th C Silver Albumen Photo
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:44:22 AM »
A couple years ago, I was wandering thru a local "second hand" store, and I came across this large photographic print that had been mounted to a heavy kind of board. The frame it had lived in was included but the small nails that held it in the frame had long ago given way. Both were in the back of this shop, in a stack of other framed items, leaning against the back wall.

What caught my eye, too, was the embossed, raised logo (inc. the name and address) of the photography studio, just below the print, in the center of the mounting board -- Fratelli Alinari, located in Florence, Italy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fratelli_Alinari). I knew nothing of this studio, when I opted to snag this image for $8 bucks, frame included. I tried to photograph the embossed logo, but the the white-on-white raised impression would not read.

I took it home, and did some research. I also cleaned off the massive amounts of water based tape that was on the back of the board (shown in the last photo).

I learned that the photo was taken in 1890. The image is that of a beautiful fresco in the Vatican, called "Fire in the Borgo" done in 1514 and designed by Raphael (http://allart.biz/photos/image/Raphael_25_The_Fire_in_the_Borgo.html). Further research ID'd the photographer as a man named Anderson, who was a respected 19th C photographer. Alinari had much of the artwork and frescoes of the Vatican photographed at this time.

Here are a few shots. And with Louie's help, just this morning, he concluded that this was a large, silver, albumin print. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albumen_print) It measures 22.5 x 16.25 inches.  Thanks again, Louie.  sm1

The board it is mounted to, measures 32" x 23.75" x 1/8" thick.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:46:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: 19th C Albumen Prints
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
nice find. whats it worth you think?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:31:51 AM »
Thanks.. but I have no idea on any value, Vick.

Ive looked on the Alinari site (they are still in business today, with a very extensive online database of so many of their images, past and present), and havent found anything that says anything about value.

So i really dont have a clue.   dontknow.gif
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:46:08 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I looked at the photos before reading your text, and assumed that the initially attractive print had somehow been reduced to a mound of soggy scraps. Phew! You gave me a good scare.

Next time I will read before looking at the pictures. Cool item, Jeff!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »
Hmmmpf...I only noticed the purple shag carpeting!    ;)thumbsup.gif  nice! :)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
its beautiful, I would have bought it also, and the history adds to that.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 11:27:12 PM »
Hmmmpf...I only noticed the purple shag carpeting!    ;)thumbsup.gif  nice! :)

It's actually a black terry towel..  ;D

Thanks, guys. I like the historical aspect, too, of the type of print it is. I don't think albumen prints are created much anymore.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:28:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: A 19th C Silver Albumen Photo
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:22 PM »
I like the $8 cool find story, Jeff!  That's a great day to find something you like and can display (combined with the cool detective work you and Louie did).  Beauty without breaking the bank. Awesome!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »
Yeah..it was a cool find, especially since it was just jammed, on its side bertween other framed things.

Here's a color pic of the same fresco as shown in the b/w photo. Its a beautiful work of art.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »
Yeah..it was a cool find, especially since it was just jammed, on its side bertween other framed things.

Here's a color pic of the same fresco as shown in the b/w photo. Its a beautiful work of art.

Raphael!  Raphael!  Have you been to Vatican City, Jeff?  I hope to go someday before I fade away.  Okie