Author Topic: Great film = Poor paper  (Read 12608 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Great film = Poor paper
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »
As Chris said - just saying the FC poster is not great, but not terrible either (and was in fact later copycated it seems!)

Thanks Chris and Vick.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
Watched this on TCM last night.....the US paper is not very good for this one:

-Brian

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
It's actually infuriating how crap much of Lubitsch's posters are. A great Lubitsch poster of a great Lubitsch film is a grail of mine. But my favourite Lubitsch titles have some of the worst paper of the bunch.

I don't expect much from modern posters but there's a few 'modern' directors that I fervorously collect (Fassbinder) and as a result have a collection of garbage posters (Fassbinder crying)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
There are crap posters for may great directors, that's for sure. And the directors themselves had little to no call or choice in the matter, most times. (There were and are exceptions to that rule, of course).

Blame it on the studio publicity dept and some suit (even then) who would give a thumbs up to some mediocre poster campaign, just to get it off his/her desk.  eyeroll

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
No one found a good poster for Targets yet??

This one could have been soooo much better..

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2015, 12:43:57 AM »
IMO , Goodfellas and Bloodsport are nice.

Bloodsport must've borrowed the flying kick pose from Lee vs Kareem , the italian Game of Death '78 poster ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:44:47 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Mirosae

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
It's actually infuriating how crap much of Lubitsch's posters are. A great Lubitsch poster of a great Lubitsch film is a grail of mine. But my favourite Lubitsch titles have some of the worst paper of the bunch.

Agree. Reason why I "cheated". I bought another poster from another non Lubitsch film which to me is pure Lubitsch. A poster of Kay Francis   that reminds me of    Trouble in Paradise a Lubitsch film that I just can't live without.
You see, in this hobby one can find shortcuts sometimes :P

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »
Agree. Reason why I "cheated". I bought another poster from another non Lubitsch film which to me is pure Lubitsch. A poster of Kay Francis   that reminds me of    Trouble in Paradise a Lubitsch film that I just can't live without.

Oooooh that's a great Francis poster. Wonderful frame-up Rosa!!

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »

faint2.gif faint2.gif faint2.gif

GORGEOUS!

That's really more Lubitsch of a poster than any of Lubitsch's own posters.

Mirosae

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 04:33:25 PM »
faint2.gif faint2.gif faint2.gif

GORGEOUS!

That's really more Lubitsch of a poster than any of Lubitsch's own posters.
Im glad you like it too Ladeda. Youve got to tell us about your favourite Lubitsch films!!

Oooooh that's a great Francis poster. Wonderful frame-up Rosa!!

Now...now.. Mr 30s posters... I learnt it from you! :-*

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
Im glad you like it too Ladeda. Youve got to tell us about your favourite Lubitsch films!!

Design For Living is my most most beloved. Someone said your favourite Lubitsch film is the first you watch, couldn't be truer for me!

That's not to say I don't absolutely love Trouble in Paradise, Ninotchka, The Shop Around the Corner, To Be or Not To Be... ah, I just really love Lubitsch! girly2.gif

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2015, 12:32:13 AM »
I've said it elsewhere on here, but I always thought the poster for "The Godfather" was awful. I LOVE the marionette strings--great analogy--but it and the hand holding them are so poorly drawn and that's the entire poster...REALLY? I know I'll be shot down for that, but...  Just my opinion.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2015, 12:35:24 AM »
MAGG.. i often wonder if that simple drawing was a carry over from the original book cover art, where it was used -- a common theme, maybe?

And I agree.. it's a rather dull OS.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:36:15 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2015, 12:37:33 AM »
Design For Living is my most most beloved. Someone said your favourite Lubitsch film is the first you watch, couldn't be truer for me!

That's not to say I don't absolutely love Trouble in Paradise, Ninotchka, The Shop Around the Corner, To Be or Not To Be... ah, I just really love Lubitsch! girly2.gif

I think this is one top notch film, too, ladeda!  clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »
Maybe not a great great movie, but poor Dracula Lee looks a little constipated on this poster.  ;D

Dracula Has Risen From the Grave - (described as a NZ poster)

-Jeff