Author Topic: Jaime Mendez Restoration  (Read 8444 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
I agree - was just trying to provide an explanation for why the work is not up to the standards we have seen on other posters sent to his studio - i.e. it was probably not the "master's hand" that worked on it.  Of course, ultimately, if this is the case it still reflects very poorly on Jaime directly.

As others have said, accidents happen, if that's the case.  Adding to that, I think it's unreasonable to blindly assume it was not JM himself who did the work.  For all we know, he may have had amazing artists do the great work on any number of the good restorations that have left his shop, and depending on who's there any given day, the quality of the work will vary.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:38:11 PM by Neo »

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »
I understand that accidents happen, but someone has to be held accountable.  If a guy came to my shop for an oil change, and I didn't put a fender cover on the fender and slammed an oil filter wrench or whatever on it and put a huge scratch on the car, then just put a big glob of touch up paint on it, there would obviously be an issue.

Absolutely. Accidents happen, sometimes by no negligence but you still need to assume responsibility if you damage a piece while in your possession.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »
And the thing too, Brandon... that crease that was created when the poster was layed to the masa paper and linen would have been seen by ANYONE who was working on it. It's not as though it's a 1/4" minor crease, but looks to be several inches long and in 2 different areas. One would have to be blind not to have seen that when looking at the backing job right after it was completed. I dont have a doubt that it was seen and they simply decided to "leave it" as is. That is truly a poor sign of quality workmanship, regardless of who was doing the work in his studio. And if it was another person doing the backing, does JM NOT look at all pieces before they are shipped, to insure his level of quality?? Seems not.

And that green marker over yet that OTHER scratch that they caused.. is inexcusable. That touch up is about one would expect to see from Posterfix.

Maybe if your poster had been a UNI horror item, he would have taken more care.  :P

Let's hope you get that partial refund and that he writes (or calls) you and explains these mishaps and why your poster was sent back to you in that state.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:40:01 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the input, y'all.  

I understand that accidents happen, but someone has to be held accountable.  If a guy came to my shop for an oil change, and I didn't put a fender cover on the fender and slammed an oil filter wrench or whatever on it and put a huge scratch on the car, then just put a big glob of touch up paint on it, there would obviously be an issue.  Further, I have a feeling that there were some shenanigans, as I asked them to send me a photo of the restoration, and the woman I spoke with said "sure" and then they sent the invoice and had it packaged before they could take a photo of it.  Maybe they genuinely forgot, or maybe they didn't want to send me a photo showing the damages they caused, from the huge crease, to that mark, etc.

Or at least cover it up so you can't tell... ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
As others have said, accidents happen, if that's the case.  Adding to that, I think it's unreasonable to blindly assume it was not JM himself who did the work.  For all we know, he may have had amazing artists do the great work on any number of the good restorations that have left his shop, and depending on who's there any given day, the quality of the work will vary.

Why don't you ask him?  He took your money and you have that right
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
It may be nothing, but both restos looked bleached, is that something one would normally expect ?

Stew

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 06:25:37 PM »
And the thing too, Brandon... that crease that was created when the poster was layed to the masa paper and linen would have been seen by ANYONE who was working on it. It's not as though it's a 1/4" minor crease, but looks to be several inches long and in 2 different areas. One would have to be blind not to have seen that when looking at the backing job right after it was completed. I dont have a doubt that it was seen and they simply decided to "leave it" as is. That is truly a poor sign of quality workmanship, regardless of who was doing the work in his studio. And if it was another person doing the backing, does JM NOT look at all pieces before they are shipped, to insure his level of quality?? Seems not.

And that green marker over yet that OTHER scratch that they caused.. is inexcusable. That touch up is about one would expect to see from Posterfix.

Maybe if your poster had been a UNI horror item, he would have taken more care.  :P

It's about a 10 inch crease, and it was touched up almost the entire length.  You can see the white spots where it was not touched up.

Yeah, the other scratch or whatever, and subsequent touch up are just as bad.

Let's hope you get that partial refund and that he writes (or calls) you and explains these mishaps and why your poster was sent back to you in that state.

I'm leaving it in the hands of PayPal.  The proof is clear, with the before and after photos, showing how it was when I sent it, and the damage after.  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:38:12 PM by Neo »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »
It may be nothing, but both restos looked bleached, is that something one would normally expect ?

Stew

It's tough to tell in photos the actual colors.  There are different variables, such as the lighting, camera, camera settings, software the photos are downloaded and uploaded with, etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:33:15 PM by Neo »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »
Jeezum crow.
What a buzzkill.

Brandon, I'd demand that it be repaired or replaced.
You're totally within your rights.

And this shipping w/out tracking BS on a high-value item is inexcusable.

Dude is gonna ruin his rep with posts like this.

Tell him the poster world is waiting for his next move.
Seriously.

I feel badly for you and what they've done to that poster.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »
Jeezum crow.
What a buzzkill.

Seriously.

Ted - I understand completely what you're saying and yes in a perfect world it would mean something when "an average customer" like you or I or Brandon does not get top notch work back for our money but, unfortunately, in the case of Jaime there is likely little worry on his end.

He has the HUGE Heritage contract after all.  As far as I know he probably gets the majority of his work from HA and, as such, that's where his priorities lie...again I am just speculating but it is speculation with some evidence to back it up... 
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 10:54:22 PM »
Me no buy no more Heritage linenbacked posters

This is not conservation, this is vandalism, desecration, destruction of our heritage

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »

This is not conservation, this is vandalism, desecration, destruction of our heritage

Come on Steve - the boobs were conserved nicely!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 11:21:05 PM »
If his priority and care are with the work he does for HA, then he should accept NO other work, if doing half ass crap like he did to Brandon's poster is the result.... PERIOD!

One might have thought his involvement in the Haggard fakes issue would have made him more respectful of other people's property. Seems not. What, with that kind of sloppiness, no tracking number, no return call etc.

FAR from the best, IMO, when all the elements are added up.  moron1

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
Jeezum crow.
What a buzzkill.

Seriously.

A buzzkill, indeed.

I don't want to drag this thread down any more, so I'll put my whole experience with Jaime Mendez Restoration in the Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly thread, as I would certainly place restoration by JM among the BAD there.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1624.msg185270.html#msg185270

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
A buzzkill, indeed.

I don't want to drag this thread down any more, so I'll put my whole experience with Jaime Mendez Restoration in the Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly thread, as I would certainly place restoration by JM among the BAD there.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1624.msg185270.html#msg185270

Spot on, Brandon, spot on!

cheers

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »

^ What Steve said.
(But then again, I do not buy linenbacked posters)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »
This one just arrived.  I will give credit to JMR for addressing all of the problem areas, from their previous work, and they did a much better job this time.  

Overall, everything is good now, and I'm stoked to have this in my humble collection.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:12:34 PM by Neo »

Mirosae

Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
Very happy for you.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
Thanks, Rosa.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »
Glad to see they left her topless after all that ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »
This one just arrived.  I will give credit to JMR for addressing all of the problem areas, from their previous work, and they did a much better job this time.  

Overall, everything is good now, and I'm stoked to have this in my humble collection.

Congrats on the redo, Brandon. How do those particular areas now look? (not meaning the creases, that would have been resolved with the redone backing).

Sounds like u are happy with it. Good for you!  cheers

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2015, 12:19:12 AM »
Thanks, Chris and Jeff.

Jeff, all the issues I mentioned with the first backing/resto. are much better now.  Mr. Castillo was able to blend the large scratch, fold lines, and huge crease touch-ups, much better than whoever did the work the first time.  It's all still visible, but not from like 10 feet away, as it all was before.

I'm not the kind of person to cry over spilled milk, so overall, I'm happy with it.  It's rad, and I'm fortunate to have it in my humble collection.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2015, 12:22:03 AM »
Brandon...

The bottom line is... they made good, re-did the sloppy work and delivered to your satisfaction.

I'm happy that you are stoked! It looks really good!!

cheers

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:28:25 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2015, 06:35:04 AM »
That poster has a story to tell, even before the linen backing, my very good friend asked me years ago to get him one AT ANY COST, I got it for him, I emailed repeatedly I had it, where do I send it? He is in Sydney and I don't have his address anymore, anyway he never replied, he replied to OTHER EMAILS, but would never answer that question, seriously he used to BEG me to find him one, so who knows what happened, maybe he knew it had a curse.
Anyway, it found a home where it is wanted finally.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
That poster has a story to tell, even before the linen backing, my very good friend asked me years ago to get him one AT ANY COST, I got it for him, I emailed repeatedly I had it, where do I send it? He is in Sydney and I don't have his address anymore, anyway he never replied, he replied to OTHER EMAILS, but would never answer that question, seriously he used to BEG me to find him one, so who knows what happened, maybe he knew it had a curse.

Interesting.  I can't imagine what changed his mind.  As you said, maybe he has a sixth sense, but hopefully the curse has run its course.  girly2.gif

Anyway, it found a home where it is wanted finally.

It is definitely one of my favorites.

cheers