Author Topic: Will Ink/Stamps/ Pen marks affect the poster later on?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Will Ink/Stamps/ Pen marks affect the poster later on?
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
Will stamps and other ink affect the poster later on? Will it eventually bleed through? Is there a way to stop it/neutralize the inks (before it gets worse) or will linen backing the poster have to be done?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Will Ink/Stamps/ Pen marks affect the poster later on?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »
Some stamps can be sandpapered (gently!) off. The stamps need to go before linenbacking as they will bleed thru.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:08:31 PM »
What do you use? 1000 grit? 2000 grit?
If it bleeds through, can linenbacking (during the bath process) remove the ink? or it has to be painted over?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »
What do you use? 1000 grit? 2000 grit?
If it bleeds through, can linenbacking (during the bath process) remove the ink? or it has to be painted over?

Sorry, not sure the grit as have only seen the linenbacker do it. I think any bath will just spread it leaving it worse if anything. I have a poster with ink writing bleeding thru and I am seriously thinking of scalping out the ink writing before linen backing to avoid any runs, but haven't convinced myself yet enough to go ahead and do it!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »
Mike, are these stamps (applied by the printer, like an NSS stamp) or ink writing from a pen or ballpoint? or a sharpie?

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
Some I have sharpie on them. Which has already bled through.
The others, that are just on the back and haven't bled through are the ones with the printer stamp on the back.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »
I have any number of older US OS, that have those NSS or printer stamps on the back, and none have bled thru (tho if heavier ink was used, i could see that showing thru on the front, even from back on the day it was first stamped).

Do you plan on backing these? As Steve mentioned, too, if so, then likely, the backer would either sand those off, or the stamp mark might wash off, or lighten in the bath.

Sharpie, tho, is a different critter. I know Charlie posted elsewhere, saying that he had had no success in removing any kind of sharpie writing or marks. prior to backing a poster.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:39:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:36:54 PM »
I have a couple from the 40s where the NSS stamp had minor bleed through.  It looked like too much ink on the stamp.
-Jay-

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
The one with the sharpie coming thorugh. I may get linen backed eventually. You only see the marker when its held up against the light.

But I was just wondering the others that have pen or ink marked stamped. If there is anything we can do to prevent it from bleeding through. That I don't have to worry about them eventually bleeding through to the poster and I will have to get those linenbacked as well later on...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:27:03 PM by bigmike »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
The one with the sharpie coming thorugh. I may get linen backed eventually. You only see the marker when its held up against the light.

But I was just wondering the others that have pen or ink marked stamped. If there is anything we can do to prevent it from bleeding through.

Mike, are these older posters that have been stamped? Reason Im asking, if they were stamped many years ago, I would think, if the ink has not bled thru by now, it would be so very dry that no further seepage should happen (unless it got wet or damp, possibly).

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »
The ones with the stamps are from the 70s/80s. So I should be good then.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
The ones with the stamps are from the 70s/80s. So I should be good then.

I would think you are good to go, too, Mike.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
I have a couple from the 40s where the NSS stamp had minor bleed through.  It looked like too much ink on the stamp.

I have some too, jay, from back then, but, knock on wood... none seem to have bled thru, as most of the stamps look very light, even back when they were first applied.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »
I have some too, jay, from back then, but, knock on wood... none seem to have bled thru, as most of the stamps look very light, even back when they were first applied.

Yeah, the vast majority of mine are like that, where they tried to go light on the rubber stamp ink.  But 1 or 2 were heavier inked and there I got bleed through.  Just a couple of spots per poster and it seems to be a rare occurrence.
-Jay-