Author Topic: Jaime Mendez Restoration  (Read 8210 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
Steve will love this one!!  It looks like an excellent job. He is really good, he restored my Casa WC. Congrats Brando !

Thanks, Rosa.  It seems like he does good work, but on this one, there are definitely a few things that I don't know what went wrong.

Good to hear that your Casablanca card turned out well.  It is a real beaut.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:54:46 AM by erik1925 »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
Thanks, Rosa.  It seems like he does good work, but on this one, there are definitely a few things that I don't know what went wrong.

Good to hear that your Casablanca card turned out well.  It is a real beaut.

wow, I never would have guessed that would end up being loved SO much.

what do you mean above (in bold)?

PS- JM did one of my posters, it is a superb job.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »
wow, I never would have guessed that would end up being loved SO much.

what do you mean above (in bold)?

PS- JM did one of my posters, it is a superb job.

Why is that?  It's a rad movie, and the German poster is the best IMO and pretty darn rare.  Since there are probably not any around that are not folded, I wanted to restore it.

He did a good job on the fold lines, and the backing for the most part, but there are few things post-restoration that were not there when I sent it in.  In the title, there's a big crease, about 10 inches long, most of which was touched up.  On the center, right side, there is another touch up mark that is a few inches long, and as you can see in the pre-resto photo, there was nothing to touch up in that area, so I don't know what happened there, either.  There are a few air bubbles.  Overall it's ok.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:57:49 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:59:59 PM »
Brandon, did u send him that close up pic of that post restore crease and ask what happened there?  I would not be a happy camper, at all, if that had come back to me that way, especially since it wasn't there to begin with. Grrrrrr.   

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:00:45 PM »
haha, yeah ok. I'm glad you got it even more then.

re the other issues, that is odd. I have just the Ship of wanted Men (probably somewhere in this thread) he did and its as good a resto job as I have seen, and was more to work on. I'm wondering if the german paper stock being different- heavier and slight gloss, especially compared to older US material - makes it different/harder to work with (?) .

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »
Brandon, did u send him that close up pic of that post restore crease and ask what happened there?  I would not be a happy camper, at all, if that had come back to me that way, especially since it wasn't there to begin with. Grrrrrr.   

Earlier today, I was just happy to receive it.  It was in a state of limbo for a week after it was shipped, and several days past the expected delivery date, with no tracking info. available the entire time, and then the day after a claim was filed, it was ready for pick up at the post office. 

Yeah, it's annoying to get something returned with damage like that.

Here's the other big touch up mark:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »
Earlier today, I was just happy to receive it.  It was in a state of limbo for a week after it was shipped, and several days past the expected delivery date, with no tracking info. available the entire time, and then the day after a claim was filed, it was ready for pick up at the post office. 

That almost looks like he just used a green water color marker to fill in (i'm guessing) a scratch or other mark on the paper?  I'd send him those c/u pics, and ask for a partial refund... ASAP.

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:48 PM »
I dont recall any parts like this that needed touching up (just fold lines really) so thats odd for sure.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:22:42 PM »
haha, yeah ok. I'm glad you got it even more then.

re the other issues, that is odd. I have just the Ship of wanted Men (probably somewhere in this thread) he did and its as good a resto job as I have seen, and was more to work on. I'm wondering if the german paper stock being different- heavier and slight gloss, especially compared to older US material - makes it different/harder to work with (?) .

cheers

It's not such a different stock than most posters, so I can't imagine that it would be much more difficult to work with.

That one is very cool, and looks like good work.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »
I dont recall any parts like this that needed touching up (just fold lines really) so thats odd for sure.

Yeah, there weren't any scratches or anything needed touching up, when I sent it in.

That almost looks like he just used a green water color marker to fill in (i'm guessing) a scratch or other mark on the paper?  I'd send him those c/u pics, and ask for a partial refund... ASAP.

I don't know what I'm going to do about it, but thanks for the advice.  These are pretty darn rare, so it's not like I can just pick up another one right now, especially in similar condition.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 11:35:21 PM »
Yeah, there weren't any scratches or anything needed touching up, when I sent it in.

I don't know what I'm going to do about it, but thanks for the advice.  These are pretty darn rare, so it's not like I can just pick up another one right now, especially in similar condition.

So JM not only creased your poster with a less than stellar backing job, when laying it down, but also caused those scratches that he then had to retouch?? UGH... and for something not that easy to obtain? I feel for you Brandon and hope he makes it right for you.

You paid good money and that job is a bit of a let down, not to mention that he did damage to your poster, on top of it all.  moron1

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 11:39:42 PM »
I'd be disappointed too Neo and wouldn't use them again. Does look like green marker pen and regardless should be restoration on the line only with fine brush not like the additional boundary of Territorial waters around a country.

Anyway I suggest people won't notice as the main focus are what's bobbing in the surf  thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 11:45:03 PM »
I'd be disappointed too Neo and wouldn't use them again. Does look like green marker pen and regardless should be restoration on the line only with fine brush not like the additional boundary of Territorial waters around a country.

Anyway I suggest people won't notice as the main focus are what's bobbing in the surf  thumbsup.gif

No scratches there.......   thumbup

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »
No scratches there.......   thumbup

Not yet

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 11:58:49 PM »
My suspicion is that Jaime did not work on that poster himself.  It was likely someone else at his studio.  They are many examples of work that was done specifically by Jaime and it is nearly always extremely well done.  That said, 'more modern, newer paper stock' posters are notoriously more difficult to restore to a level where the restoration is invisible to begin with.  An unfortunate situation for sure.  I would not be all that happy overall either  :-[

Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 12:05:56 AM »
And the thing is.. that crease thru the yellow credits has nothing to do with the paper stock or it being more modern paper. That issue is just poor workmanship and someone who was not paying careful attention.  >:(

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 01:15:31 AM »

Anyway I suggest people won't notice as the main focus are what's bobbing in the surf  thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your insight.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 01:32:38 AM »
My suspicion is that Jaime did not work on that poster himself.  It was likely someone else at his studio.  They are many examples of work that was done specifically by Jaime and it is nearly always extremely well done.  That said, 'more modern, newer paper stock' posters are notoriously more difficult to restore to a level where the restoration is invisible to begin with.  An unfortunate situation for sure.  I would not be all that happy overall either  :-[

Regardless of whether he or an employee did the work, I sent it to him, thus it's his name on the quality of work.  The bottom line is that it should have been treated with more care.  I have seen numerous posters that are of a similar age, and many that are much newer, glossier, etc. that have much better work, and of course have not had any damage like that.  I'm not completely unhappy with it, but I did file a PayPal claim for a partial refund, as it is clearly damaged.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:34:40 AM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 02:00:38 AM »
Regardless of whether he or an employee did the work, I sent it to him, thus it's his name on the quality of work.  The bottom line is that it should have been treated with more care.  I have seen numerous posters that are of a similar age, and many that are much newer, glossier, etc. that have much better work, and of course have not had any damage like that.  I'm not completely unhappy with it, but I did file a PayPal claim for a partial refund, as it is clearly damaged.

I hope you get the resolve and partial refund that you deserve, Brandon. That's the least he can do, as you sent your poster to him in good faith and he failed in exercising the care needed--even more so if one of his associates did the work, and he allowed it to be sent off to you, without giving it "the once over" to make sure it was up to his own standards.

Good luck on this. Im sure you will prevail.   cheers

-Jeff

Mirosae

Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »

Well put. Well done. I regard him as one of the best out there. But clearly even the best have bad days. Tho i suspect Chris is right. Either way. This is a great poster. Enjoy it!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »
Why is that?  It's a rad movie, and the German poster is the best IMO and pretty darn rare.  Since there are probably not any around that are not folded, I wanted to restore it.

He did a good job on the fold lines, and the backing for the most part, but there are few things post-restoration that were not there when I sent it in.  In the title, there's a big crease, about 10 inches long, most of which was touched up.  On the center, right side, there is another touch up mark that is a few inches long, and as you can see in the pre-resto photo, there was nothing to touch up in that area, so I don't know what happened there, either.  There are a few air bubbles.  Overall it's ok.

This can happen if when laying it down it is shifted and then pressed down...  Or it is flattened out from the edges in one spot and then center out from the other direction.  This didn't occur during the wash...

Offline Charlie

• Collector
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 10:12:48 AM »

I am guilty of dinging a poster once it was drying.  I have a 56" straight edge and as I was holding it backing up, it scratched one of my posters.  I would think it happens...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
Regardless of whether he or an employee did the work, I sent it to him, thus it's his name on the quality of work.  The bottom line is that it should have been treated with more care.  

I agree - was just trying to provide an explanation for why the work is not up to the standards we have seen on other posters sent to his studio - i.e. it was probably not the "master's hand" that worked on it.  Of course, ultimately, if this is the case it still reflects very poorly on Jaime directly.
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Jaime Mendez Restoration
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »
Thanks for the input, y'all.  

I am guilty of dinging a poster once it was drying.  I have a 56" straight edge and as I was holding it backing up, it scratched one of my posters.  I would think it happens...

I understand that accidents happen, but someone has to be held accountable.  If a guy came to my shop for an oil change, and I didn't put a fender cover on the fender and slammed an oil filter wrench or whatever on it and put a huge scratch on the car, then just put a big glob of touch up paint on it, there would obviously be an issue.  Further, I have a feeling that there were some shenanigans, as I asked them to send me a photo of the restoration, and the woman I spoke with said "sure" and then they sent the invoice and had it packaged before they could take a photo of it.  Maybe they genuinely forgot, or maybe they didn't want to send me a photo showing the damages they caused, from the huge crease, to that mark, etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:29:47 PM by Neo »